Sexual Misconduct Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
contrapositive1
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:06 am

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby contrapositive1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:41 am

Stop
Last edited by contrapositive1 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:43 am

contrapositive1 wrote:
bbsg wrote:
cinephile wrote:How does one assume there was consent when there wasn't?


I'm pretty sure this is probably impossible without straight up having committed rape?


The judicial affairs said it was genuine miscommunication, and although I did not intend to cause harm, they felt I still broke their policy.

Someone needs the "no means no" talk.

Or possibly the "unconscious means no" talk.

User avatar
contrapositive1
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:06 am

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby contrapositive1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:44 am

can u please leave
Last edited by contrapositive1 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:49 am

contrapositive1 wrote:
bbsg wrote:
cinephile wrote:How does one assume there was consent when there wasn't?


I'm pretty sure this is probably impossible without straight up having committed rape?


The judicial affairs said it was genuine miscommunication, and although I did not intend to cause harm, they felt I still broke their policy.

I'm not a rapist. Seriously, it was huge miscommunication, although not apparent to me.


This doesn't make any sense. Was there alcohol? Did she not indicate she did not want what you were doing? Was she passed out?

Let me make this clearer:

You: "Hey baby let's do this." + Her: Anything at all other than "yes/sure/okay," including not returning your advance and being passed out = rape.

If this is what happened, you're a) lucky you weren't convicted b) not going to be a lawyer.

If this is not what happened, you're going to have to be crystal clear on any application about the circumstances if you have any chance of going to law school, let alone passing the bar or (lol) working for the D.A.
Last edited by John_rizzy_rawls on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11745
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:51 am

contrapositive1 wrote:The person never said "no" and the person was never unconscious. If they were I would have been expelled or easily suspended from school.

I feel like for your own benefit, I should tell you to probably stop telling people specifics of the situation, and stop responding to people who want more details. In general, you probably shouldn't be talking about something like this in detail on a law school website.

bbsg
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby bbsg » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:53 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
contrapositive1 wrote:
bbsg wrote:
cinephile wrote:How does one assume there was consent when there wasn't?


I'm pretty sure this is probably impossible without straight up having committed rape?


The judicial affairs said it was genuine miscommunication, and although I did not intend to cause harm, they felt I still broke their policy.

I'm not a rapist. Seriously, it was huge miscommunication, although not apparent to me.


This doesn't make any sense. Was there alcohol? Did she not indicate she did not want what you were doing? Was she passed out?

Let me make this clearer:

You: "Hey baby let's do this." + Her: Anything at all other than "yes/sure/okay," including not returning your advance and being passed out = rape.

If this is what happened, you're a) lucky you weren't convicted b) not going to be a lawyer.

If this is not what happened, you're going to have to be crystal clear about the circumstances if you have any chance going to law school, let alone passing the bar or (lol) working for the D.A.


+1 -- I don't want to jump down your throat, OP, but just as heads up to you: if you can't clear this up to adccoms and the bar association when the time comes then you're going to get shut out.

That said, don't disclose anything further here. Just be aware of what I said above. At the end of the day, this is a matter you're going to need to fully disclose to the proper people, and the more that you say in various public fora the more of a headache you might possibly be weaving for later. Random people on TLS aren't the "proper people" by any stretch.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:53 am

ilovesf wrote:
contrapositive1 wrote:The person never said "no" and the person was never unconscious. If they were I would have been expelled or easily suspended from school.

I feel like for your own benefit, I should tell you to probably stop telling people specifics of the situation, and stop responding to people who want more details. In general, you probably shouldn't be talking about something like this in detail on a law school website.


Rather, you should probably not be a lawyer.

User avatar
contrapositive1
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:06 am

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby contrapositive1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:58 am

The real courts are diff
Last edited by contrapositive1 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:03 am

contrapositive1 wrote:Just so you know, my school basis guilt on "preponderance of evidence."

The real courts basis guilt on "clear and convincing evidence."


So then there is a preponderance of evidence that you raped someone?

This does not help you at all.

Especially considering the law schools admissions process, the bar passage process, and the employment hiring process all have significantly lower burdens of reasoning for denial than your university does of placing sanctions on you.

User avatar
contrapositive1
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:06 am

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby contrapositive1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:06 am

leave please
Last edited by contrapositive1 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:15 am

contrapositive1 wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
contrapositive1 wrote:Just so you know, my school basis guilt on "preponderance of evidence."

The real courts basis guilt on "clear and convincing evidence."


So then there is a preponderance of evidence that you raped someone?

This does not help you at all.

Especially considering the law schools admissions process, the bar passage process, and the employment hiring process all have significantly lower burdens of reasoning for denial than your university does of placing sanctions on you.


"preponderance" means 50% or more. My school has its own definition of non-consensual sex than the legal definition.


I understand what preponderance means.

What I'm telling you is that your university's standard for sanctioning you (preponderance of evidence) = MUCH MORE HARSH than the standard for universities, your state's bar, and employers to simply not admit you.

The former involves having to prove, to whatever degree, that a significant enough harm was propagated in order to dole out punishment. There is some burden of proof.

Your admission to a school, bar, or job is based purely on the preference of a committee. They owe you nothing and are threatening no punishment, and thus their ability to simply say no requires no burden of proof at all really.

This part isn't really up for debate, that's just how it works.

Best thing for you to do is get your story clear, disclose, speak to a C&F attorney to see if you can pass the bar, and go from there. Getting into law school may be even more difficult than passing the bar.

User avatar
contrapositive1
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:06 am

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby contrapositive1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:23 am

people need to calm down
Last edited by contrapositive1 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:31 am

contrapositive1 wrote:Obviously i have not said much details about it here... i just simply don't think it's safe 2 do so

The fact that I was never arrested, charged, or convicted have any relevance?


In every day life from a functional standpoint? Yes it is better not to have a criminal record.

Perceptually, or before an admissions committee or potential employer? No, I really do not think so simply because of what the act is.

User avatar
whosonfirst
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:48 am

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby whosonfirst » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:10 am

Law schools generally avoid students they think will pose a safety risk to other students. I only say generally because I am just now hearing about Tulane accepting a convicted murder - before reading that I would have said law schools always avoid such students. The reasons for doing so are obvious: if risk comes to fruition, law school could be charged with liability as this risk was made clear to them through application process (C&F, addendum, etc.). No law school will risk paying millions in damages.

Honestly, even if the risk never came to fruition, I would be VERY UPSET at my law school if they allowed someone with such a C&F issue to attend alongside me and probably wouldn't go there.

RodneyRuxin
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:03 am

copy and paste whatever you violated so we can see the minimum threshold for what you've done.

User avatar
RhymesLikeDimes
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:36 am

You had better hope no adcomms have daughters at the schools you apply to.

rvadog
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby rvadog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:38 pm

What's clear here is that you raped someone. You had sex with someone who did not consent. That's rape and you are a rapist. The fact that you weren't charged isn't even surprising much less evidence of your innocence.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby stillwater » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:45 pm

this thread is sordid. in light of all of this, OP I think you need to find a new career path.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:49 pm

no means no, and in other cases yes means no. OP should've filled out the sex contract.

In all seriousness, it will look really really bad to schools. If you can pull some sort of ABA accredited school, it will not be a T-14 even if your numbers are amazing, I can't imagine them willing to take the chance with something like that. They do not want to be in the same pool as Tulane. Will you get a tier 1? Possibly, Tulane had a murderer, but with that said, I think our society views rape as a more disgusting crime in some situations (especially those with little to no information provided). Basically, everyone here, and probably adcomms will see you as a disgrace to humans. I sure hope you can explain to them much better than you have to us. I also hope you could get the person who deemed you committed such act to write the reasonings for the punishment (i.e: explain the evidence) if you are convinced it was solely a miscommunication

User avatar
DavidHasselhoff
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby DavidHasselhoff » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:33 pm

So let me get this straight.

1) You and your boyfriend were role playing when he went down on you and you poked him from behind. He complained and told you he didn't want you to go that far and then told someone.
2) You got questioned and the cops got sickened by the idea, but didn't want to charge you.
3) You got sanctioned by the school, and now you realize your mistakes and want to change your career path aspirations.
4) The DA has an opening for an intern and you would eventually like to go to law school.

In my pure opinion, it may be good to apply to the DA's office and get some experience so that you can add it to your resume.

User avatar
PBateman1
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby PBateman1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:24 pm

A lot of places say that there can be no consent if there is alcohol involved. I don't know what the OP's situation is but it's actually possible that a girl has a beer and is begging to get banged but since she was under the influence didn't actually give consent.

rvadog
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby rvadog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:37 pm

PBateman1 wrote:A lot of places say that there can be no consent if there is alcohol involved. I don't know what the OP's situation is but it's actually possible that a girl has a beer and is begging to get banged but since she was under the influence didn't actually give consent.


Seems we have another misogynist winner.

How many drunk girls have you slept with? I've been with quite a few and I can tell you that not once did I wake up with a girl and have her call the police and accuse me of rape. Having sex with someone too drunk to consent is rape. Getting a girl super drunk so you can have sex is rape.

Believe it or not, girls don't have a few beers agree to have sex and then call the cops as a habit. Can you imagine the ordeal? For what?

User avatar
oaken
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:27 am

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby oaken » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:43 pm

EDIT: I can't tell if I'm being trolled and I have no idea what is happening
Last edited by oaken on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PBateman1
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby PBateman1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:45 pm

rvadog wrote:
PBateman1 wrote:A lot of places say that there can be no consent if there is alcohol involved. I don't know what the OP's situation is but it's actually possible that a girl has a beer and is begging to get banged but since she was under the influence didn't actually give consent.


Seems we have another misogynist winner.

How many drunk girls have you slept with? I've been with quite a few and I can tell you that not once did I wake up with a girl and have her call the police and accuse me of rape. Having sex with someone too drunk to consent is rape. Getting a girl super drunk so you can have sex is rape.

Believe it or not, girls don't have a few beers agree to have sex and then call the cops as a habit. Can you imagine the ordeal? For what?


Wow you made a lot of assumptions based on my post. I wasn't trying to exonerate the OP. I just introduced the fact that the introduction of alcohol into a sexual situation makes the female unable to consent in many situations. So basically in one of your drunken hookups had the girl really regretted it you potentially could have been in a similar situation as the OP. But since I see that reasonable discourse isn't going to occur in this thread I'm out.

rvadog
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Sexual Misconduct Addendum

Postby rvadog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:46 pm

No you are an idiot.

Anyone who believes that this guy went to a party, had some beers, met a girl who was "begging to be banged" and suddenly, BAM, accused of rape is an idiot.

He (if that's the case) knew she was too drunk to consent and took advantage of her (rape).

Stop trying to insinuate that it isn't rape or it's a lesser form of rape.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger and 8 guests