Upward trend in grades - will it make a differnece? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
imcool19

New

Upward trend in grades - will it make a differnece?

Post by imcool19 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:01 pm

My freshman fall semester GPA was 3.123.... I think I was really lost and really confused as to how to study in a college setting.

My grades definitely went up and I maintained a 3.98 average during my last two years of college, and ended up with 3.77 for my overall GPA.

I did not really include any addendum for my low GPA for my first semester because I thought it would be common among other applicants as well... but do you think an addendum would help?

PRgradBYU

Silver

Re: Upward trend in grades - will it make a differnece?

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:36 pm

imcool19 wrote:My freshman fall semester GPA was 3.123.... I think I was really lost and really confused as to how to study in a college setting.

My grades definitely went up and I maintained a 3.98 average during my last two years of college, and ended up with 3.77 for my overall GPA.

I did not really include any addendum for my low GPA for my first semester because I thought it would be common among other applicants as well... but do you think an addendum would help?
I was actually wondering this myself, since I'm in a very similar boat (except your GPA ended up being .15 higher than mine).

I've heard that upward grade trends can help if you end up being compared to an applicant with identical numbers + a downward trend. In other words, if another applicant had a 3.77 but his/her transcript showed that their grades got progressively worse, you would have the advantage. Can anyone corroborate this?

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Dean Perez's thread kind of supports this claim, as he mentions trends factor in in transcript reviews. The way I interpreted is it counts as a minor soft, and really won't make or break you. See his thread and decide for yourselves - it's full of great info.

Writing an addendum may help draw attention to the thread and cast it in a positive light.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:38 pm

I had the same problem, except it was more due to transferring to a tougher school my sophomore year and not really getting it together until a year and a half in.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:48 pm

I had a 2.8 my first semester of college and eventually gradated with honors. I didn't include an addendum and was fine. An upward trend is pretty self-explanatory.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Upward trends are so common among applicants I doubt they make any difference whatsoever.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Better to show grades going up than grades going down.

Will it be a cure all? No.
Will it make you look better than not having it? Well, duh, yeah.

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:26 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Upward trends are so common among applicants I doubt they make any difference whatsoever.
i disagree. i think it's very important if you want to outperform your numbers.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:27 pm

OP, your overall grades are very good regardless of your first semester GPA. An addendum would probably be overkill.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Don't write an addendum. It's extremely common for people's first semester in college to be their worst one. You ended up with a good GPA so it's not that big of a deal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”