C&F: Traffic Misdemeanor?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TheMostDangerousLG

C&F: Traffic Misdemeanor?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:22 am

Hi, all. I'm wondering what I should do about being charged with, but not convicted of, a misdemeanor. I received a couple of speeding tickets a couple of years ago, and forgot to pay them off. I was pulled over for a broken headlight about a year after receiving them, and when they ran my license, they found my license had been suspended for not paying them, and I was charged with a misdemeanor (something something driving without a license). I had to show up to court, and eventually everything was fine.

I don't know whether this warrants a C&F addendum, as ultimately it was reduced to non-misdemeanor traffic violations, and I just had to pay a couple fines. I've been under the assumption that this meant the whole ordeal qualified as a "minor traffic violation" and didn't need to be disclosed.

More important, if it does require one, what do I put? I don't even know exactly what the original charge was or what exactly it was reduced to. Does that matter? Would the description above suffice? Any advice would be appreciated.

eerie_erie

Re: C&F: Traffic Misdemeanor?

Postby eerie_erie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:05 pm

When in doubt, disclose. I don't know what exactly you should say, but definitely putting it out there and explaining it is better than the committee finding out by itself. Speaking of which, have you talked to your school's C&F person? I'm under the impression that most schools probably have someone like that.

kuttlefish

Postby kuttlefish » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Yeah, unless you have something horrible on your record like multiple homicides as a result of running an international drug/terrorism ring, I don't think the school really cares. It's more to cover their asses in case you aren't bar eligible, they can turn to the ABA and say "look, they lied to us too!"

So disclose anything you can think of and you'll be fine. If you can't remember everything, disclose what you can remember and add a sentence like "I will supplement this addendum as more information becomes available." Most schools let you add to your application even after you've been accepted for this very reason. And if the school does have a C&F expert on their admissions staff, be sure to double check with them. They'll probably know more than your average TLSer.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:24 pm

What specifically were you charged with after the initial incident? In some states, the license suspension will occur because you were charged with Failure to Appear (FTA) on the date indicated on the initial citation. If there was a bench warrant for FTA, that's something else you should consider disclosing.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:28 pm

I new guys with MULTIPLE (being serious) MULTIPLE DUI's who were cleared for C&F.

Expect to be asked to make an appearence in front of a board if you get any of those.
If not, what you said will be a mail in explenation, phone call tops.

b123

Postby b123 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:29 pm

kuttlefish wrote:international drug/terrorism ring

sh*t.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:31 pm

b123 wrote:
kuttlefish wrote:international drug/terrorism ring

sh*t.

Runs international drug/terrorism ring.