15 to 75% off! Clearance JDs! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LexLeon

Bronze

Re: 15 to 75% off! Clearance JDs!

Post by LexLeon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:42 pm

Borg wrote:If you had been admitted to Yale, how much would Cooley have to pay you to get you to go there? Obviously a full ride isn't enough. If they gave you a tax free living stipend of $300,000/year, would you go?
If I were admitted to Yale, I would accept no amount of money to attend an institution--and, somehow, permanently relinquish the opportunity to attend Yale--at which I knew I would receive a worse education.

That's to say, $1,000,000 a year would not be enough for me: there would be no enough for me, so to speak.

I suppose many, but not all, would agree that money is not desirable as an end in itself, and that even if it were, the value of world-class education would nevertheless be far greater than any sum of money.

(If you'd like to test my position and suppose that money is the only thing that can save my dying dog, or something, then I might have to reconsider; but I cannot foresee any such scenario, in my life, at least.)

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:43 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
Borg wrote:If you had been admitted to Yale, how much would Cooley have to pay you to get you to go there? Obviously a full ride isn't enough. If they gave you a tax free living stipend of $300,000/year, would you go?
$900,000 wouldn't be worth a lifetime of the snickers I'd hear when I told people my alma mater was Cooley.
$900,000 and a lifetime of Snickers? sounds like a fucking deal to me

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:53 pm

oaken wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
$900,000 wouldn't be worth a lifetime of the snickers I'd hear when I told people my alma mater was Cooley.
haha +1

talesofyore

Bronze

Post by talesofyore » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:59 pm

oaken wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
Sign me up for this! I'll sell the "Snickers" at discount price and get even more $$$.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:05 am

oaken wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
Hahaha. Here's the thing... you'd be hearing the snickers, not consuming them. Still want them?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:16 am

Let's not give the general public too much credit. All you have to do with most people is tell them you went to law school (who cares where) and they'll probably be blown away.

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:35 am

PRgradBYU wrote:
oaken wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
Hahaha. Here's the thing... you'd be hearing the snickers, not consuming them. Still want them?
I think I'd still take it. It might be kind of torturous to hear the people eating Snickers if you don't get any, but you could still buy a fair amount with the $900,000 you would have.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:43 am

Borg wrote:I think I'd still take it. It might be kind of torturous to hear the people eating Snickers if you don't get any, but you could still buy a fair amount with the $900,000 you would have.
Cooley adcom guy:

DELETED

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:50 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:53 am

Hey, what's that serious lion guy who was talking about how nothing could deter him from Yale have to say about this whole subsequent conversation? Did it change your mind?

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:57 am

75% off of cooley contingent on rank is a better deal than sticker at touro at sticker. i know many people who picked the latter like half my friends who became lawyers.

BigJT

New

Post by BigJT » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:20 am

dirtrida2 wrote:So how much will you guys earn in scholarship money?

Oh... only 75%? :lol:

To hit 217+ requires around a 165 LSAT and 3.5 GPA. Has even one person ever taken them up on that offer? I'm not sure it would be possible to simultaneously be smart enough to qualify and dumbest enough to accept.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:44 pm

BigJT wrote:

To hit 217+ requires around a 165 LSAT and 3.5 GPA. Has even one person ever taken them up on that offer? I'm not sure it would be possible to simultaneously be smart enough to qualify and dumbest enough to accept.
There's no way anyone remotely near those numbers would fall for that--unless they literally didn't have access to the Internet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:44 pm

BigJT wrote:

OK now i think you're getting a little carried away man

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:54 pm

LexLeon wrote:
If I were admitted to Yale, I would accept no amount of money to attend an institution--and, somehow, permanently relinquish the opportunity to attend Yale--at which I knew I would receive a worse education.

That's to say, $1,000,000 a year would not be enough for me: there would be no enough for me, so to speak.

I suppose many, but not all, would agree that money is not desirable as an end in itself, and that even if it were, the value of world-class education would nevertheless be far greater than any sum of money.

(If you'd like to test my position and suppose that money is the only thing that can save my dying dog, or something, then I might have to reconsider; but I cannot foresee any such scenario, in my life, at least.)
Money = Utils = education

HTH

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:03 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
Crowing wrote:The only thing this ad is missing is Billy Mays.
O.M.G. I screamed out loud! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

porch

Bronze

Post by porch » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:25 pm

ETA: nothing

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:43 pm

BILLY MAYS HERE FOR THE THOMAS M. COOLEY SCHOOL OF LAW!!

I bet you could chop pennies in half with that diploma, if you had any left in your couch

BigJT

New

Post by BigJT » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:42 am

oaken wrote:
BigJT wrote:

OK now i think you're getting a little carried away man
Seriously? Remember, this is a 75% scholarship, not a full-ride scholarship. And on top of the 25% tuition, you still have to add in potential borrowing for living expenses and the three-year opportunity cost.

OTOH, a 165/3.5 will easily get you in to the top 50, probably with some money. Under what circumstances would Cooley ever beat out discounted tuition at a regional school that probably places well in its local market (certainly better than Cooley places in its market)?

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:24 am

^i understand the proposition. i think going to cooley at any price is an unsound idea and you don't need to prove it to me. i just think the whole "durr hurr they're so stoopid and not smart like me and my lsat score" is a tired out, arrogant and frankly a little naive attitude to have

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:25 am

oaken wrote:^i understand the proposition. i think going to cooley at any price is an unsound idea and you don't need to prove it to me. i just think the whole "durr hurr they're so stoopid and not smart like me and my lsat score" is a tired out, arrogant and frankly a little naive attitude to have
To be fair, I would have posted this thread regardless of which school sent it based on the subject line alone. The fact that it was Cooley is their fault!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:52 am

TripTrip wrote:
oaken wrote:^i understand the proposition. i think going to cooley at any price is an unsound idea and you don't need to prove it to me. i just think the whole "durr hurr they're so stoopid and not smart like me and my lsat score" is a tired out, arrogant and frankly a little naive attitude to have
To be fair, I would have posted this thread regardless of which school sent it based on the subject line alone. The fact that it was Cooley is their fault!
ha the OP is hilarious. i'm just being grumpy and BigJT's post really rubbed me the wrong way. whatever, i'll shut up.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:22 am

Last edited by wannabelawstudent on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:04 pm

I've been archiving LS ad e-mails into a folder since September. I had something like 286 last I checked.

BigJT

New

Post by BigJT » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:45 pm

Fair enough, now that I understand your post, I agree with your sentiment. I was really just trying to point out that (i) they don't offer full-rides to anybody, and (ii) even the 75% scholarships are probably more fiction than fact. My snark is only aimed at the faculty and admins of these type of schools, but sometimes the students end up as collateral damage.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”