My undergrad has never sent anyone to a T14, should I worry?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RhymesLikeDimes

My undergrad has never sent anyone to a T14, should I worry?

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:36 pm

At least not since 1990, which is as far back as my adviser had data for. I know it's supposedly all about GPA/LSAT, but I guess I'm paranoid that my weak undergrad (it's a weaker SUNY, with ~5,000 students) is going to keep me out of the T6. The average LSAT for students here was 146 last I knew (tied for the worst I have ever seen), while the average GPA is wildly inflated because we're an Education degree factory. The only time the school has gotten any national profile was when we were made fun of on 30 Rock.

I'm just worried that they're going to see my high LSAT as a flash in the pan.

Dmini7

Re: My undergrad has never sent anyone to a T14, should I worry?

Postby Dmini7 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:39 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:At least not since 1990, which is as far back as my adviser had data for. I know it's supposedly all about GPA/LSAT, but I guess I'm paranoid that my weak undergrad (it's a weaker SUNY, with ~5,000 students) is going to keep me out of the T6. The average LSAT for students here was 146 last I knew (tied for the worst I have ever seen), while the average GPA is wildly inflated because we're an Education degree factory.

They won't care. If you score high enough you will get in. It's actually a plus that they inflate your gpa(assuming you also got the benefit from the boost). It is all about your numbers not your UG institution.

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:46 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:At least not since 1990, which is as far back as my adviser had data for. I know it's supposedly all about GPA/LSAT, but I guess I'm paranoid that my weak undergrad (it's a weaker SUNY, with ~5,000 students) is going to keep me out of the T6. The average LSAT for students here was 146 last I knew (tied for the worst I have ever seen), while the average GPA is wildly inflated because we're an Education degree factory. The only time the school has gotten any national profile was when we were made fun of on 30 Rock.

If you are set on t14, just save your application money. law schools care very much about the prestige of your undergrad institution. A 3.0 from M.I.T is so much more valuable in law school admissions than a 4.0 from a local community college.

All jokes aside - why are you writing this post? you trying to humble brag? WTF do you mean you think a school will see your high LSAT as a "flash in the pan" -- wouldn't a high LSAT from a very shitty school mean you got a good LSAT without a good education - which would be an even better indicator of your innate intelligence?

If you wrote this post seriously, just dial it down. smoke a blunt. dont be so neurotic. lets say the t6 does see your lsat score as a flash in the pan - what are you going to do about it now???? - exactly, you wont do shit about it now, so it doesnt matter. just fill out your applications and send them out. come on TLS for advice on how to perfect your application materials. other than that, just sit back and wait
Last edited by nucky thompson on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:51 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:At least not since 1990, which is as far back as my adviser had data for. I know it's supposedly all about GPA/LSAT, but I guess I'm paranoid that my weak undergrad (it's a weaker SUNY, with ~5,000 students) is going to keep me out of the T6. The average LSAT for students here was 146 last I knew (tied for the worst I have ever seen), while the average GPA is wildly inflated because we're an Education degree factory. The only time the school has gotten any national profile was when we were made fun of on 30 Rock.

lol oneonta

srsly doe no one cares.

Trogdorburninator

Postby Trogdorburninator » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:57 pm

My undergrad hasn't sent anyone either (don't know in how long- at least for several years), and the avg LSAT here is low, too. It hasn't affected my cycle- don't worry!

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Last edited by RhymesLikeDimes on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trout et al

Postby Trout et al » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:59 pm

No worries OP. Check out the random UG's represented on this list

http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... grads.html

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:02 pm

I'm in the opposite boat, HYS have all accepted people from my small school already so I'm worried they might not want any more awesome people. << that was a humble brag

But honestly, it's a good thing. They like showing huge lists of undergrad institutions.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:04 pm

Doesn't matter in the least.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Just buy a Yale class ring and wear it every single day when you start law school. No one will know.

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:38 pm

It shouldn't matter.
Last edited by Jaqen on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 pm

At least your adviser has data. My UG's adviser was useless in pretty much every way.

noobishned

Postby noobishned » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you do get a high LSAT, then they will know that your GPA, while inflated, is probably an accurate indication of your intelligence.

The average at my UG was a 150 and I scored well above. I'm also pretty sure that the average GPA is very inflated. I still got into T14.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:55 pm

Don't think my school has sent someone to a T14 in years. Average LSAT is in the 140s. Next year a friend of mine is going to NYU, and I'll be attending some other T14. Like everyone else said, it matters not.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:19 am

Just out of curiosity, I googled my undergrad plus the word "attorney." I only found three law firm web profiles for attorneys in the first 100 hits. The first was a dude from Cooley who spent his first few years in solo practice doing debtor and family law, and then hooked up with a three person firm doing bankruptcy. The second graduated from a 4th-tier school nearby and works for a three person plaintiff-side employment firm. The third was a mid-career shift and went to a local TTT. So as far as I can tell, not only has my school not sent anyone to a T14 (at least in that that person is still practicing law at a firm and has a profile on some firm's website), but it hasn't sent anyone to any school better than a TTT.

I chose my undergrad because it was cheap, easy, and nearby, and I still got a poor GPA. No one has ever cared, and no one in my previous career ever asked about it or asked about my GPA. The only time I've ever had to send in a transcript was to get into law school, and luckily there's enough splitter schools that it didn't matter much.

The best advice is to go to the cheapest undergrad you can find and take the easiest classes possible, because all that matters is the three-digit LSAC GPA median your law school has to report to US News.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:03 am

Trout et al wrote:No worries OP. Check out the random UG's represented on this list

There really isn't a lot of random UG's on that list.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:04 am

ph14 wrote:Doesn't matter in the least.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:16 pm

Mine sends a lot to T14s every year but what worries me is that the GPA averages of the people it sends to good schools tends to be a point or 2 higher than the median (Columbia, for example, has a median of ~3.7 but our schools median of people admitted was a ~3.9). Should I worry about my school being looked at as grade inflators? My school being UT.

oaken

Postby oaken » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:21 pm

someone's gotta be the first

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:31 pm

According to the registrar at my undergrad, and according to Facebook graph search, I am the only one from my undergrad to go to HLS. (In fact, I happen to know I'm the second, and there's another one a year behind me.) But the point is, there's gotta be a first and it didn't affect my cycle at all.

contrapositive1

Postby contrapositive1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:36 pm

get a 170+

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:33 am

Undergrads don't send people to T14s, you send yourself to T14s

heywatchitbuddy

Postby heywatchitbuddy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:32 am

dextermorgan wrote:
Trout et al wrote:No worries OP. Check out the random UG's represented on this list

>BETH MEDRASH GOVOHA
>BIOLA UNIVERSITY
>CAMPBELLSVILLE UNIVERSITY
>COLBY COLLEGE
>CONCORDIA UNIV-SIR GEO WILLIAMS CAMPUS
>DENISON UNIVERSITY
>FURMAN UNIVERSITY
>HENDRIX COLLEGE
>HUNTER COLLEGE - CUNY
>MCDANIEL COLLEGE
>MISSOURI VALLEY COLLEGE
>MUHLENBERG COLLEGE
>NEBRASKA WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY
>NORWICH UNIVERSITY
>SH'OR YOSHUV RABBINICAL CL NY
>TOURO COLLEGE
>WALLA WALLA COLLEGE
>WEST BENGAL NATIONAL UNIVERSITY
>WILFRID LAURIER UNIVERSITY
>YONSEI UNIVERSITY

These are the ones on the list I've never even HEARD of. It's chock full of obscure TTT state and liberal arts colleges, so OP should really not be worried at all.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:47 am

heywatchitbuddy wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:

>BETH MEDRASH GOVOHA
>BIOLA UNIVERSITY
>COLBY COLLEGE
>DENISON UNIVERSITY
>FURMAN UNIVERSITY
>HENDRIX COLLEGE
>HUNTER COLLEGE - CUNY
>MCDANIEL COLLEGE
>MISSOURI VALLEY COLLEGE
>MUHLENBERG COLLEGE
>NORWICH UNIVERSITY
>TOURO COLLEGE
>WALLA WALLA COLLEGE
>YONSEI UNIVERSITY

These are the ones on the list I've never even HEARD of. It's chock full of obscure TTT state and liberal arts colleges, so OP should really not be worried at all.

some of those are foreign.

biola is just fucking weird, though.

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:53 am

heywatchitbuddy wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:

>BETH MEDRASH GOVOHA
>BIOLA UNIVERSITY
>COLBY COLLEGE
>DENISON UNIVERSITY
>FURMAN UNIVERSITY
>HENDRIX COLLEGE
>HUNTER COLLEGE - CUNY
>MCDANIEL COLLEGE
>MISSOURI VALLEY COLLEGE
>MUHLENBERG COLLEGE
>NORWICH UNIVERSITY
>TOURO COLLEGE
>WALLA WALLA COLLEGE
>YONSEI UNIVERSITY

Laurier is pretty solid (Canadian). Also I know a girl, randomly, who went to Hendrix College. I could never take her seriously when she spoke about it because I imagined it was basically just a School of Rock founded by a Chancellor Jimi.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”