LoR/Citizenship Concerns Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dnptan

Bronze

LoR/Citizenship Concerns

Post by dnptan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Hey all!

So I need advice on LoRs - I currently have 2 LoRs from professors read to go, which satisfies the minimum for most schools.

Additionally, I requested LoRs from the 2 managers at my current job. They kind of split the work between them. I have had great experiences with both. I work at an IP consulting firm and both of them were kind enough to write me a targeted letter to Stanford, and a generic letter (basically, 2 letters each). I'm debating if I should send BOTH letters with my application to max out the LoRs (4). Advice for (a) Stanford and (b) other schools greatly appreciated.

It may be worthwhile to note that one of the tailored the letter to show my interest/competence in IP, (let's say manager A) while the other wrote in more general terms pertaining to my work ethic/ability to learn (manager B). I didn't read the essays but they gave me the foci of their respective letters.

Second question: I am not a US citizen. Do Law schools have an international student quota? I received a US college education. Please let me know if this is a hindrance or not - Thanks!

howlery

Bronze

Re: LoR/Citizenship Concerns

Post by howlery » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Do you know how you'll be paying for law school? You will have a traditional LSAC GPA, but might not be qualified for Federal loans. No idea regarding Stanford's preferences, but I imagine quality academic references trump quantity.

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 pm

Hey thanks for the reply,

My finances are set, the only concern is getting in the best school. I have 2 Academic LoRs, and 2 empty slots (4 max letters). Additionally I have 2 targeted Stanford letters from the above 2 employers.

So here are the options:
2 Academic LoRs,
2 Academic LoRs + 1 work LoR (IP-based)
2 Academic LoRs + 1 work LoR (More general)
2 Academic LoRs + 2 work LoRs

Hope that clears things up.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:52 am

Send 2 academic and 1 work. Keep 1 work in case you're waitlisted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”