Apps in review for a while: What does it mean??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kabootar

Apps in review for a while: What does it mean??

Postby Kabootar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:15 am

I have been in a disagreement with my friend for quite a while.

I believe that there is no real pattern to admissions decisions. Basically, being in review for a while does not equate to a rejection over an acceptance.

My friend, on the other hand, believes that the longer one's application is under review, the more likely it is that they will get rejected from that school.

Who is right? Or are we both being idiots?

TripTrip

Re: Apps in review for a while: What does it mean??

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:52 am

If you've been under review for more than three months, then you can worry. Though even then it depends on the school. If, for example, others who submitted around the same time as you have been dinged but you didn't get any decision at all, that's not bad.

If you're talking about a matter of weeks, however, then you're right: it's more or less random.

Kabootar

Postby Kabootar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Thank you for your response! :)

mg1185

Postby mg1185 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:43 pm

I have a follow-up question somewhat related to the OP's inquiry.

Several applications I've submitted (Brooklyn, UConn, Georgia State) still indicate that they are under review, but I've recently noticed some additions to the "Fees" portion of the app status checker, including items such as "Seat Deposit" and "Merit Scholarship Deposit"-where, previously, all that was listed was a field for the application fee. These applications have only been in for about 2 weeks at this point- I know I may be jumping the gun here. But I'm anxious!

I'm hesitant to get my hopes up that this could mean anything, since the status remains the same- but does anyone know if these changes indicate that I can expect an acceptance from these schools? Or is this something that automatically appears at a certain point in the review process, regardless of the decision?

Any input on what you've noticed with your own application status updates/fee itemization would be great.

Thanks!

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:06 pm

Doesn't mean anything unfortunately. Some schools list it one way, some schools dont list it at all.

mg1185

Postby mg1185 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Good to know- I figured I was probably being a little overzealous considering the timing, but I guess just want to have a rough idea of where I'll be living in 6 months!

Thanks for the info!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”