Lowest ranked school you would attend for free Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
andres

New

Re: Lowest ranked school you would attend for free

Post by andres » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:13 pm

UC Davis

bobbypin

Bronze

Post by bobbypin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:27 pm

Willamette. I live in Portland. Want to stay in Portland. It's only an hour away. My opportunity costs are low. I was a SAHM for many years, worked as a paralegal for 3 for $30k a year prior to being laid off and enrolling in UG to finish my degree.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:38 pm

IAFG wrote:
patentlybored wrote: So you wouldnt attend, say, NU for free but yet you paid to go there?
If I had gotten into a school with better employment stats, I would have paid to go there instead, all the way up to Yale.
wut

If you got into Harvard for free, you would say "Fuck you guys I'm going to Yale?"

pruufreadr

New

Post by pruufreadr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:35 am

Mods: Please don't ban me for the following post:

I would attend The University of North Dakota School of Law, currently ranked 145 out of USNWR's 145 ranked spots.

In fact, I've been wasting way too many brain cycles waiting for my letter of acceptance/rejection from there. Unlike other schools, they haven't been keen on giving me actual numbers over the phone, but here's what I do know:

*If accepted* Tuition scholarship of some indeterminate amount valid for all three years.
As a veteran, I qualify for in-state tuition, which at sticker is only $10K/yr.
Great on-campus housing and dining facilities.
Decent off-campus cost-of-living.
Excellent experiential learning opportunities: I hope to be selected for their legal research program.
No opportunity costs. We hardly make any money anyway, but my husband and I will both certainly be out of work by June--most likely sooner--due to government cutbacks to our program. (Note: submitted law school applications before this information was released.)
My husband can attend UND undergrad at a reasonable cost. He doesn't have any transfer credits, and, wow, what a surprise to have this opportunity at this point in his life.

Really, at my age, I'd rather sell cars than work at BigLaw. However, some cool saving-the-world job would be awesome.

I am being realistic with choosing one of these smaller schools. My husband asked me this question today:

"So, what are we going to do if you finish law school then decide you just want to make art all day, which you can't sell because it's all of the same giraffe?"

My answer: "So what if I do."

Note: We really are drowning in giraffe art. I haven't gotten this piece right, yet.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:02 pm

pruufreadr wrote:Mods: Please don't ban me for the following post:
What? What do you think is ban-worthy in your post?
pruufreadr wrote:I would attend The University of North Dakota School of Law, currently ranked 145 out of USNWR's 145 ranked spots.
Nothing at all wrong with your plan if you want to live in ND and can go for free.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pruufreadr

New

Post by pruufreadr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:42 pm

North wrote:
pruufreadr wrote:Mods: Please don't ban me for the following post:
What? What do you think is ban-worthy in your post?
pruufreadr wrote:I would attend The University of North Dakota School of Law, currently ranked 145 out of USNWR's 145 ranked spots.
Nothing at all wrong with your plan if you want to live in ND and can go for free.

I am new to posting in your lovely forum, but, I do know the name of it is Top-Law-Schools and all of the lists for getting together with other applicants and soon-to-be classmates are for the 1-100 only.

rvadog

New

Post by rvadog » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:54 pm

pruufreadr wrote:
Really, at my age, I'd rather sell cars than work at BigLaw. However, some cool saving-the-world job would be awesome.
Lucky you, the chance of big law out of The U of North Dakota is almost none!

Seriously if ND is home and that's where you want to stay then there's probably no better college to attend. If on the other hand you'd like to leave ND...

The people here that get jumped on aren't people with realistic plans. They are people that got a 2.3/149 and plan on going to Central Mississippi School of Bovine Studies and Law and then plan to work in DC or NYC or transfer to a better school.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:13 pm

rvadog wrote:
pruufreadr wrote:
Lucky you, the chance of big law out of The U of North Dakota is almost none!

Seriously if ND is home and that's where you want to stay then there's probably no better college to attend. If on the other hand you'd like to leave ND...

The people here that get jumped on aren't people with realistic plans. They are people that got a 2.3/149 and plan on going to Central Mississippi School of Bovine Studies and Law and then plan to work in DC or NYC or transfer to a better school.
But, but I heard that there are preftigious international animal rights study-abroad clinics available at Central Mississippi School of Bovine Studies and Law!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”