Lowest ranked school you would attend for free

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rvadog

Lowest ranked school you would attend for free

Postby rvadog » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:49 pm

You are only admitted to one school. This isn't a "Georgetown at cost vs...." thread.

I.e. if you were accepted to Cooley for free and no other school most of us would probably not go to law school at all. Where's your threshold?

Top 50?

Top 25?
Last edited by rvadog on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruxin1

Re: Lowest ranked school you would attend for free

Postby Ruxin1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:53 pm

rvadog wrote:You are only admitted to one school. This isn't a "Georgetown at cost vs...." thread.

Top 50?

Top 25?

Best school in the state you want to work in and have ties.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:56 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Rutgers Camden.

LOLPJJJJDOOKWKSJJIC

Yale.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:57 pm

:oops:

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:58 pm

InGoodFaith wrote: :oops:

It's okay buddy. <3

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:15 pm

BU/BC or GWU

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Fordham, but there are some schools ranked higher that I wouldn't touch. Otherwise I would go to grad school for engineering.
Last edited by RhymesLikeDimes on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:01 pm

University of Georgia

Bobnoxious

Postby Bobnoxious » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Because I want to practice in Indianapolis or Memphis, I'd go to either IU-Indianapolis or U. of Memphis if free. Needless to say, I'm not too picky.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Future posters, please clarify what your opportunity cost is as you answer. This kind of discussion is totally useless when you have, for example, an already-six-figure-making ivy grad answering "Yale" and a impoverished shit stateschool grad of art history answering their state (or city) flagship or GWU.

So many people on TLS these days are struggling with this ridiculously hard decision, it only makes it worse when you have such divergent responses.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:18 pm

T-25.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:24 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Future posters, please clarify what your opportunity cost is as you answer. This kind of discussion is totally useless when you have, for example, an already-six-figure-making ivy grad answering "Yale" and a impoverished shit stateschool grad of art history answering their state (or city) flagship or GWU.

So many people on TLS these days are struggling with this ridiculously hard decision, it only makes it worse when you have such divergent responses.

I was making ~50k pre-LS.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:29 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Future posters, please clarify what your opportunity cost is as you answer. This kind of discussion is totally useless when you have, for example, an already-six-figure-making ivy grad answering "Yale" and a impoverished shit stateschool grad of art history answering their state (or city) flagship or GWU.

Opportunity cost: likely giving up a Comp Sci jerb (average entry-level salary: $50k).

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Fordham, but there are some schools ranked higher that I wouldn't touch.

and that's what makes it a silly question.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:31 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:

I was making ~50k pre-LS.

Was Rutgers-Camden your serious answer?

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:32 pm

IAFG wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Fordham, but there are some schools ranked higher that I wouldn't touch.

A badly-worded one but not a silly one.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:34 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:
IAFG wrote:

A badly-worded one but not a silly one.

it's pretty silly. i wouldn't attend any school for free because i wanted biglaw as an applicant and i would rather have debt than reduce my chances of getting well-paid work. someone with different goals would have a different answer.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:38 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:

credited

jeffgarlin

Postby jeffgarlin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:45 pm

What about American or Villanova?

rvadog

Postby rvadog » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:49 pm

IAFG wrote:it's pretty silly. i wouldn't attend any school for free because i wanted biglaw as an applicant and i would rather have debt than reduce my chances of getting well-paid work. someone with different goals would have a different answer.

Then your answer would be the lowest ranked school that gives you decent shot at biglaw...see, not that hard.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:54 pm

rvadog wrote:
IAFG wrote:it's pretty silly. i wouldn't attend any school for free because i wanted biglaw as an applicant and i would rather have debt than reduce my chances of getting well-paid work. someone with different goals would have a different answer.

Then your answer would be the lowest ranked school that gives you decent shot at biglaw...see, not that hard.

no, that wouldn't be my answer, read more carefully.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:01 pm

rvadog wrote:

Well, I think she was saying she would always assume a little bit of debt no matter the scenario to get a better chance at biglaw. Since no one attends Harvard for free, her statement holds. If she got into Columbia with $$ and Harvard, she'd go to Harvard. Makes sense to me.

warandpeace wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

credited

And to this person, your opportunity cost? And what is the opportunity cost of the certain group who credits this response? Sure it's different than another group. I know several people who would kill to attend a run-of-the-mill T-2 for free.

Such reductionists here. Granted, the question itself is reductionistic. But guys, please avoid one-liners, even if they're not jokes. Give your story or at least a little more reason why you give this answer.

I'm considering throwing an app at my own state flagship, which I would probably get close to a full-ride at, so I'm very interested in this thread.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:14 pm

rvadog wrote:

I think he's saying he wouldn't go to a school that didn't give him X% chance of getting a BigLaw job that he wants, and none of those schools that would give him X% chance would give him (maybe anyone?) a full ride. So any school that would give him a full ride, wouldn't be a school that he'd be interested in going to.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:22 pm

Wormfather wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
rvadog wrote:You are only admitted to one school. This isn't a "Georgetown at cost vs...." thread.

Top 50?

Top 25?

Wait I live in CT, does this mean that Yale should be my floor? FFaaaarrrrrrk

AA with a 3.9 and 170 LSAT, that might not be a terrible floor for you.

*Patiently awaits his mod fans to ban him again for saying "AA"*

Mine would be UT, without a doubt. Still respectably ranked, close to home, a few connections at the school and in the field, decent chance of getting at least some scholarship from there as well.
Last edited by CyanIdes Of March on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”