I might have to defer admissions now. Advice?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
airbud

I might have to defer admissions now. Advice?

Postby airbud » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Current active Marine. Applied with plans on getting out before starting school this fall. However, I just received a heads-up that I'm probably going to get tagged for last-minute deployment to Afghanistan (for the second time) from April to November. This will require me to defer admission for a year.

I know schools at which I'm currently accepted and the school that I ultimately choose to attend will not have a problem with me deferring. However, I'm concerned about the schools where my status is still pending. I went complete everywhere in mid-October. Accepted at UT, held at Harvard, interviewed at U Chicago, and no word from Stanford, Columbia, or NYU.

If I end up getting orders to Afghanistan, I'll obviously have to disclose to all schools. I imagine saying something like "I just received orders and will not be able to start this fall. If accepted at your school, I have every intention of deferring." How will this affect my admissions at the schools I'm waiting to hear final word from? Will this give them reason to just go ahead and reject me, since I for sure won't be matriculating this fall?

Any advice on how to navigate this situation or insight into my concerns would be greatly appreciated.

TripTrip

Re: I might have to defer admissions now. Advice?

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:43 pm

airbud wrote:Will this give them reason to just go ahead and reject me, since I for sure won't be matriculating this fall?

Not legally, but that's not to say it won't happen.

For schools that haven't made their decision by March, I would say email them then to give them the heads up.

North

Postby North » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:35 am

If you are deployed and aren't 100% happy with the schools you got into this cycle, would consider retaking in October or December and applying again next cycle? If you'd have to defer anyway, I figure you might as well take advantage of the extra time to improve your chances (specifically at HYS) and scholarship potential.

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Wait until you have orders in hand before you say anything. How likely is it that you will deploy?

airbud

Postby airbud » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:14 pm

The likelihood that I deploy is rapidly approaching 100%. For planning purposes, I'm treating it as 100%.

The deployment will be from April to Nov/Dec. There will definitely not be time to study for and retake the LSAT, as much as it'd be nice to get a higher score. I'd love to go to UT. But my "hold" at Harvard is setting my eyes a bit higher.

This might sound crazy, but some of my friends have suggested that this might even INCREASE my chances, since it's a unique experience, significantly adds to my softs, etc. I guess it can be compared to a law school applicant who is also in the running for a competitive/prestigious study-abroad/grad program that he's still waiting to hear back from while law school apps are still out. I dunno. Thoughts?

jcdjgd

Postby jcdjgd » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:50 pm

Thoughts would be to not rush into law school. There's also no issue with deferring...most schools are very accepting of the subject, especially with a good reason.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:05 pm

airbud wrote:The likelihood that I deploy is rapidly approaching 100%. For planning purposes, I'm treating it as 100%.

The deployment will be from April to Nov/Dec. There will definitely not be time to study for and retake the LSAT, as much as it'd be nice to get a higher score. I'd love to go to UT. But my "hold" at Harvard is setting my eyes a bit higher.

This might sound crazy, but some of my friends have suggested that this might even INCREASE my chances, since it's a unique experience, significantly adds to my softs, etc. I guess it can be compared to a law school applicant who is also in the running for a competitive/prestigious study-abroad/grad program that he's still waiting to hear back from while law school apps are still out. I dunno. Thoughts?

Yes, if you serve in the military this will SIGNIFICANTLY increase your chances everywhere. There are people have gotten into HYS with average t1 or lower numbers due to military service.

Thanks for serving by the way!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”