How important is it to submit early? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
imcool19

New

How important is it to submit early?

Post by imcool19 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:44 pm

So I FINALLY submitted all my applications today.
I know this is before the deadline, but it is still pretty late..
Do you guys think it's going to have a lot of negative impact on my chances?

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Re: How important is it to submit early?

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:53 pm

Where are you applying? If you're above 75th percentiles, I dont think it matters. If you're a stretch (i.e. HYS), it probably helps to apply earlier. Note: Yale says it does not matter because of their unique acceptance process (12 point system), which I believe.

Based on your numbers, I only see a real potential for negative impact at H and S, although I do not think it is HUGE. If you are super curious and want a more quantitative approach, check out --LinkRemoved-- and filter by application date for GPA/LSAT combos around yours... and tell me what you discover as I am in a similar boat

Aawaldrop

Bronze

Post by Aawaldrop » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:54 pm

imcool19 wrote:So I FINALLY submitted all my applications today.

Traditional wisdom is that it can affect a little in admissions and $$ but this cycle is strange so we'll see.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:16 am

Aawaldrop wrote:

Traditional wisdom is that it can affect a little in admissions and $$ but this cycle is strange so we'll see.
traditional wisdom is that law school is a good investment.

There are arguments in both directions, but the simple answer is that if you're clearly above or below, it won't make a difference. When you're at the border, on one hand they may accept more people near the border early in the process, but on the other hand, once they've secured their medians they may be more willing to look past the numbers

snailio

Bronze

Post by snailio » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:19 am

Yes, It will affect your chances, you should have applied much earlier. This would especially affect you at any school with rolling admissions...such as Harvard. Only people with stellar numbers can afford to wait until almost the last minute, even then they sometimes hurt themselves. Yale would be an exception to this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:43 am

snailio wrote:

Yes, It will affect your chances, you should have applied much earlier. This would especially affect you at any school with rolling admissions...such as Harvard. Only people with stellar numbers can afford to wait until almost the last minute, even then they sometimes hurt themselves. Yale would be an exception to this.
All schools (except Yale) have rolling admissions.
Thing is, they always keep spaces open for people with stellar numbers, and if you're a weak applicant (but not weak enough to ding right away) they'll just hold on to your application for a while. Really, applying early only affects borderline applicants insofar as they get a boost over other borderline applicants (and even then, not much of one)

totoro

Bronze

Post by totoro » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:21 am

dingbat wrote:
snailio wrote:

Thing is, they always keep spaces open for people with stellar numbers, and if you're a weak applicant (but not weak enough to ding right away) they'll just hold on to your application for a while. Really, applying early only affects borderline applicants insofar as they get a boost over other borderline applicants (and even then, not much of one)
I am also interested in this, but can you define what I borderline applicant would be? i.e. if your numbers are median?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:16 am

totoro wrote:
dingbat wrote:
snailio wrote:

I am also interested in this, but can you define what I borderline applicant would be? i.e. if your numbers are median?
No, I can't. It varies by school, by year, and by time of year. However, for these purposes, I think we're really talking people whose numbers are above the 25th percentile but below median

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”