Early Decision Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
babasil1

Early Decision Question

Postby babasil1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:56 pm

I recently got accepted to a university on early decision with an inent to receive a scholarship. The scholarship awards will be announced in March, however. If I do not get one, I will probably spend 2013 honing my LSAT and aiming for a better university. My question: Am I legally allowed to refuse attending that university in Fall of 2013 despite the early decision option? And if yes, will that somehow negatively reflect on my future applications? All help is appreciated!

Aawaldrop

Re: Early Decision Question

Postby Aawaldrop » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:00 pm

babasil1 wrote:I recently got accepted to a university on early decision with an inent to receive a scholarship. The scholarship awards will be announced in March, however. If I do not get one, I will probably spend 2013 honing my LSAT and aiming for a better university. My question: Am I legally allowed to refuse attending that university in Fall of 2013 despite the early decision option? And if yes, will that somehow negatively reflect on my future applications? All help is appreciated!

What was the Early Decision statement that you signed say?
Some would prevent you from attending any other law school period and others are for the upcoming year.

babasil1

Postby babasil1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:02 pm

Aawaldrop wrote:
babasil1 wrote:I recently got accepted to a university on early decision with an inent to receive a scholarship. The scholarship awards will be announced in March, however. If I do not get one, I will probably spend 2013 honing my LSAT and aiming for a better university. My question: Am I legally allowed to refuse attending that university in Fall of 2013 despite the early decision option? And if yes, will that somehow negatively reflect on my future applications? All help is appreciated!

Some would prevent you from attending any other law school period and others are for the upcoming year.

The statement specifically instructs to withdraw applications to other schools; not to defer admission to a later year; and not to initiate other applications. Nothing about not attending any law school.

EDIT: It also asks to enroll at the university in question.
Last edited by babasil1 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:05 pm

babasil1 wrote:
Aawaldrop wrote:

The statement specifically instructs to withdraw applications to other schools; not to defer admission to a later year; and not to initiate other applications. Nothing about not attending any law school.

Was the statement specific to this cycle?

Also maybe try asking in school specific topic for more info or search TLS
I found this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=200548&p=6221233&hilit=withdraw+early+decision#p6221233

babasil1

Postby babasil1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:07 pm

Was the statement specific to this cycle?

While it does't explicitly say so, the deadline for the early decision application is January 31, so I'd assume it's for Fall 2013.

babasil1

Postby babasil1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Also, just to clarify, if I reapply, I'll do so for Fall 2014.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:11 pm

I thought ED contracts just meant you couldn't attend any other school, not that you had to actually enroll.

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Crowing wrote:I thought ED contracts just meant you couldn't attend any other school, not that you had to actually enroll.

Penn's contract specifically says you have to matriculate the following year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”