Character and Fitness - Traffic Violations

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RebelLaw

Character and Fitness - Traffic Violations

Postby RebelLaw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:33 pm

I have filled out several applications and haven't had any problems with C & F questions until now. The question I'm currently having issues with is one that asks about "criminal charges" and states, "including traffic violations." I haven't had any tickets except for one and it was for not having an inspection sticker in the state of Mississippi. I'm fine with disclosing this information, however, I cannot remember the exact date of the citation, which was later dismissed. I checked my driving record online and it says I have nothing on my record, but I figured something about this should be on there. It happened two years ago. Now I'm left confused because I want to be as detailed as I can when I disclose, but it is hard because I do not remember specific dates and am not sure how else to access them. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this? Thank you.

ManOfTheMinute

Re: Character and Fitness - Traffic Violations

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:38 pm

What school makes you include traffic violations that were not misdemeanors/felonies??

RebelLaw

Postby RebelLaw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:40 pm

Here is the exact question from the application. I may be analyzing it too much.

CRIMINAL CHARGES: Have you ever been formally accused, cited for, arrested for, charged with or convicted of violating any law, including traffic violations? (All citations, arrests, charges and convictions, whether pending or otherwise, must be noted and explained even if the charges were dismissed, you were acquitted, plead nolo contendere or adjudication was withheld or a conviction was expunged, dismissed, overturned or vacated.)

Usually they say to exclude such minor violations, but this does not, so I'm stumped.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:41 pm

RebelLaw wrote:Here is the exact question from the application. I may be analyzing it too much.

CRIMINAL CHARGES: Have you ever been formally accused, cited for, arrested for, charged with or convicted of violating any law, including traffic violations? (All citations, arrests, charges and convictions, whether pending or otherwise, must be noted and explained even if the charges were dismissed, you were acquitted, plead nolo contendere or adjudication was withheld or a conviction was expunged, dismissed, overturned or vacated.)

Usually they say to exclude such minor violations, but this does not, so I'm stumped.

Include addenda with approximate dates and violations. Single sentence for each.
If you come across better info email the school with updates.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:What school makes you include traffic violations that were not misdemeanors/felonies??

Lots of schools. In many states traffic violations are misdemeanors, not civil infractions.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:43 pm

You can just guestimate the date as close as you can ie month/year. I did something similar and just wrote Traffic infraction for speeding in August 2005. I suppose you could be as vague as summer 2005. It wont matter.

RebelLaw

Postby RebelLaw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Thank you all for your help.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”