Taking Additional Coursework to Boost LSDAS GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fearthefish

Taking Additional Coursework to Boost LSDAS GPA

Postby fearthefish » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:54 pm

So I'm currently starting my last semester of undergrad and I have a question regarding additional coursework for LSDAS purposes. Due to a several issues, I did poorly my first two years of college. My grades have improved, but due to these old grades, I expect my LSDAS GPA will be just under a 3.0 (2.9ish). I read in another thread that having a 3.0 over 2.9X is far preferable and beneficial for T14 admissions. I plan on taking the LSAT in the fall and am getting 170 on my most recent timed practice exam (aiming for 173+ on real).

My question is: Would it be worth it to take one or two community college classes and do well in them in order to meet a 3.0 LSDAS GPA? Would admissions counselors care? I've never taken CC classes before. I would love to go to UVA Law.

Thanks
Last edited by fearthefish on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Taking Additional Coursework to Boost LSDAS GPA

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Law schools don't care where you take classes, they only care about the grades. You'd just have to make sure you take them before graduation, so they count towards your first UG degree,

North

Postby North » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:50 pm

fearthefish wrote:Would it be worth it to take one or two community college classes and do well in them in order to meet a 3.0 LSDAS GPA?

Yeah. If you want UVA ED, you're going to need to at least be above 3.0. 3.3 if you want to feel secure. Note that you need to take the extra classes before you graduate with your first Bachelors.

Getting a 170+ on your LSAT is absolutely necessary if you want UVA or pretty much any other T14.

fearthefish

Postby fearthefish » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:51 pm

With regard to taking the classes "before receiving first bachelors degree", for the LSDAS, what is considered the last date? Is it the actual graduation ceremony? or the last day of classes/finals?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”