2.97 GPA, 175 LSAT HELP!!!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
danc105
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:14 am

2.97 GPA, 175 LSAT HELP!!!!

Postby danc105 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:25 am

My Stats:
LSDAS 2.97 GPA from a Liberal Arts College. Poli-Sci/History Double Major (switched from pre-med soph year)
175 LSAT...prepared super hard for this :)
Extracurricular: leadership position at college pro-life group (debating whether to disclose this), Alternative spring break service trips for 3 years.

Would like to apply to law schools this upcoming fall. Been working for the past 4 months at an Non-Profit relief organization and will continue until starting law school (is this enough work experience). Do I still have a shot at top law schools (T14)?
Last edited by danc105 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: 2.94 GPA, 174 LSAT HELP!!!!

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:28 am

danc105 wrote:My Stats:
LSDAS 2.94 GPA from a Liberal Arts College. Poli-Sci/History Double Major (switched from pre-med soph year)
175 LSAT...prepared super hard for this :)


Would like to apply to law schools this upcoming fall. Been working for the past 4 months at an Non-Profit relief organization. Do I still have a shot at top law schools (T14)?


Your best shot is NU or ED UVA. I don't think i would be bold enough to try any school with a 2.94 without ED. Are you willing to pay sticker at a t14?
edit: it appears you hada 2.97 not a 2.94 difference is fairly negligible. Anyways If i were in your shoes I would ED UVA. I think you should get in.

http://myLSN.info/u8sbi9

not many points to see, but down apps should work in your favor. You may also be interested in USC/UT/Vandy if you want strong regionals outside of the t14 to apply to. Also are you a URM by chance?
Last edited by Dmini7 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

danc105
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:14 am

Re: 2.97 GPA, 174 LSAT HELP!!!!

Postby danc105 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:30 am

The LSDAS GPA was actually 2.97...not sure if that makes a diff. Yes I would be willing to pay sticker for T14

eric922
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: 2.97 GPA, 175 LSAT HELP!!!!

Postby eric922 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:34 am

Quick question. Have you graduated yet? If not I strongly encourage you to wait and take enough classes to get your grade to a 3.0. You'd be shocked at how much difference that can make.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: 2.97 GPA, 175 LSAT HELP!!!!

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:36 am

Like I said, I dont think it would make much of a difference, but I could be wrong. I still think your best bets in order for the T14 are: UVA, NU, and Georgetown.

Your GPA pretty much makes it very hard to get into the other schools. But congratulations on the amazing LSAT score.

danc105
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:14 am

Re: 2.97 GPA, 175 LSAT HELP!!!!

Postby danc105 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:37 am

I graduated last spring :( Is a 3.0 really a meaningful difference over a 2.97?

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: 2.97 GPA, 175 LSAT HELP!!!!

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:54 am

danc105 wrote:I graduated last spring :( Is a 3.0 really a meaningful difference over a 2.97?


It makes a significant difference, unfortunately.

You have a good shot at Northwestern. If you apply this coming fall, you should have two years of WE by the time you begin law school, which is what NU strongly prefers. You can apply ED to UVA early and, if rejected, ED to GULC afterward (though I would never recommend paying sticker for GULC).

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: 2.97 GPA, 175 LSAT HELP!!!!

Postby BerkeleyBear » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:16 am

Ti Malice wrote:
danc105 wrote:I graduated last spring :( Is a 3.0 really a meaningful difference over a 2.97?


It makes a significant difference, unfortunately.

You have a good shot at Northwestern. If you apply this coming fall, you should have two years of WE by the time you begin law school, which is what NU strongly prefers. You can apply ED to UVA early and, if rejected, ED to GULC afterward (though I would never recommend paying sticker for GULC).


If you really do need over a 3.0, just sign up for 1 or 2 classes over the summer at a local JC and make sure you do well. I'd ED NU.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22835
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: 2.97 GPA, 175 LSAT HELP!!!!

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 am

BerkeleyBear wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
danc105 wrote:I graduated last spring :( Is a 3.0 really a meaningful difference over a 2.97?


It makes a significant difference, unfortunately.

You have a good shot at Northwestern. If you apply this coming fall, you should have two years of WE by the time you begin law school, which is what NU strongly prefers. You can apply ED to UVA early and, if rejected, ED to GULC afterward (though I would never recommend paying sticker for GULC).


If you really do need over a 3.0, just sign up for 1 or 2 classes over the summer at a local JC and make sure you do well. I'd ED NU.

Ignore this. LSAC only counts courses taken toward your first BA - grades in anything taken after you graduate don't count.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: 2.97 GPA, 175 LSAT HELP!!!!

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:19 am

BerkeleyBear wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
danc105 wrote:I graduated last spring :( Is a 3.0 really a meaningful difference over a 2.97?


It makes a significant difference, unfortunately.

You have a good shot at Northwestern. If you apply this coming fall, you should have two years of WE by the time you begin law school, which is what NU strongly prefers. You can apply ED to UVA early and, if rejected, ED to GULC afterward (though I would never recommend paying sticker for GULC).


If you really do need over a 3.0, just sign up for 1 or 2 classes over the summer at a local JC and make sure you do well. I'd ED NU.


If you graduated already it's too late for additional coursework to help;

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: 2.97 GPA, 175 LSAT HELP!!!!

Postby bizzybone1313 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:58 am

danc105 wrote:My Stats:
LSDAS 2.97 GPA from a Liberal Arts College. Poli-Sci/History Double Major (switched from pre-med soph year)
175 LSAT...prepared super hard for this :)
Extracurricular: leadership position at college pro-life group (debating whether to disclose this), Alternative spring break service trips for 3 years.

Would like to apply to law schools this upcoming fall. Been working for the past 4 months at an Non-Profit relief organization and will continue until starting law school (is this enough work experience). Do I still have a shot at top law schools (T14)?


So about how many total hours of prep did you put in for the 175?

eric922
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: 2.97 GPA, 175 LSAT HELP!!!!

Postby eric922 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:23 pm

danc105 wrote:I graduated last spring :( Is a 3.0 really a meaningful difference over a 2.97?

Sadly it does. The strange thing is the difference between a 3.0 and a 3.3 isn't near as important as a 2.97 to a 3.0

WhoislikeGod
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: 2.97 GPA, 175 LSAT HELP!!!!

Postby WhoislikeGod » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:56 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
danc105 wrote:My Stats:
LSDAS 2.97 GPA from a Liberal Arts College. Poli-Sci/History Double Major (switched from pre-med soph year)
175 LSAT...prepared super hard for this :)
Extracurricular: leadership position at college pro-life group (debating whether to disclose this), Alternative spring break service trips for 3 years.

Would like to apply to law schools this upcoming fall. Been working for the past 4 months at an Non-Profit relief organization and will continue until starting law school (is this enough work experience). Do I still have a shot at top law schools (T14)?


So about how many total hours of prep did you put in for the 175?


I am curious as well.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: 2.97 GPA, 175 LSAT HELP!!!!

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:02 pm

eric922 wrote:
danc105 wrote:I graduated last spring :( Is a 3.0 really a meaningful difference over a 2.97?

Sadly it does. The strange thing is the difference between a 3.0 and a 3.3 isn't near as important as a 2.97 to a 3.0


But it's too late now so let's not dwell on it.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests