hail mary applications

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gatorgirl2012

hail mary applications

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:11 pm

I've already had a few surprises, so I'm feeling lucky and contemplating sending out a few hail mary applications at one or two T14 schools. Are there any schools that are notable for taking in unconventional applicants? There's also the issue of it being a very unpredictable cycle, and again, I'm feeling lucky haha

dingbat

Re: hail mary applications

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:19 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:I've already had a few surprises, so I'm feeling lucky and contemplating sending out a few hail mary applications at one or two T14 schools. Are there any schools that are notable for taking in unconventional applicants? There's also the issue of it being a very unpredictable cycle, and again, I'm feeling lucky haha

define "unconventional"

If you're talking about military vets, they outperform at a number of schools
If you're talking stoner beach bums, not so much

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:25 pm

dingbat wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:I've already had a few surprises, so I'm feeling lucky and contemplating sending out a few hail mary applications at one or two T14 schools. Are there any schools that are notable for taking in unconventional applicants? There's also the issue of it being a very unpredictable cycle, and again, I'm feeling lucky haha

define "unconventional"

Haha, well played.

I mean interesting story but lower than average numbers. I haven't cured cancer or been awarded a purple heart but I think my personal statement and diversity statements are quite strong. Plus, I'm URM.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:44 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:
dingbat wrote:

define "unconventional"

Haha, well played.

I mean interesting story but lower than average numbers. I haven't cured cancer or been awarded a purple heart but I think my personal statement and diversity statements are quite strong. Plus, I'm URM.

URM makes a big difference, diversity and personal statement not so much.
I'm familiar with the latter, but not the former, so I can't really help you

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:12 pm

You're going to underperform your potential applying this late, but who cares? Send some in. No regrets.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:29 pm

Well, you really need to give us some numbers if you want school specific advice. I don't think any one school is considered to take farther out of range applicants, but some schools are more forgiving to a bad LSAT and some to GPA, etc.
All in all, it is a numbers game and if yours are significantly out of every range, then choose the ones you'd most like to live and pray. You know it's a very, very long shot but YOLO (county is where Kings Hall is located :mrgreen: )

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:54 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Well, you really need to give us some numbers if you want school specific advice. I don't think any one school is considered to take farther out of range applicants, but some schools are more forgiving to a bad LSAT and some to GPA, etc.
All in all, it is a numbers game and if yours are significantly out of every range, then choose the ones you'd most like to live and pray. You know it's a very, very long shot but YOLO (county is where Kings Hall is located :mrgreen: )

I'm such a believer in YOLO, which I call the revamped Carpe Diem haha I've already been accepted at W&L which I wasn't expecting (my numbers are low there too) so I'm feeling lucky. It will really be interesting to see the statistics for the 2013 incoming class once things are finalized.

md22

Postby md22 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:46 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:I'm such a believer in YOLO, which I call the revamped Carpe Diem haha I've already been accepted at W&L which I wasn't expecting (my numbers are low there too) so I'm feeling lucky. It will really be interesting to see the statistics for the 2013 incoming class once things are finalized.

Oh boy, I don't think being "such a believer" in the wisdom of Drizzy Drake is the best of ideas :lol:

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:19 am

bluepenguin wrote:You're going to underperform your potential applying this late, but who cares? Send some in. No regrets.

Maybe not. I'm a URM who applied nice and early and I think T14 admission officers have yet to touch my file. Go ahead and apply. I don't think that as purported, files are reviewed in order received.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:56 am

talesofyore wrote:
bluepenguin wrote:You're going to underperform your potential applying this late, but who cares? Send some in. No regrets.

Maybe not. I'm a URM who applied nice and early and I think T14 admission officers have yet to touch my file. Go ahead and apply. I don't think that as purported, files are reviewed in order received.

They aren't. There's an admissions officer on this board who basically said that they'll review the strongest files (highest numbers) first. While there's some advantage to applying early, the indication is it's not that big an advantage

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”