Admissions events

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jmjm

Admissions events

Postby jmjm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:10 am

Do law schools such as hysccn or t14 host admissions events like B-schools where one could get to hear from admissions committee regarding the school's admission process and individual fit (especially for schools that look beyond numbers)? SLS doesn't have any admissions events for prospective students at its webpage.

B90

Re: Admissions events

Postby B90 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:00 am

If you are talking about when adcoms travel to other places to talk about admissions, many schools call those "recruiting" events. Most schools have a calender on their website. Often these things are listed on the calender/schedule of events.
If you are talking about visiting a school, you can always set up a tour. Usually if you contact them a couple weeks in advance they can set up an appointment with someone from admissions.

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:20 pm

B90 wrote:If you are talking about when adcoms travel to other places to talk about admissions, many schools call those "recruiting" events. Most schools have a calender on their website. Often these things are listed on the calender/schedule of events.
If you are talking about visiting a school, you can always set up a tour. Usually if you contact them a couple weeks in advance they can set up an appointment with someone from admissions.

There's information pertaining to setting up a school visit but no information regarding "recruiting" (admissions) events at most schools. For example http://www.law.stanford.edu/prospective/ only has "visiting the law school" link but no admissions event from admissions representatives.

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:10 am

Any school that hosts "recruiting events" in t14?
I can't seem to find any that does.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:17 am

SLS might not want to waste time on a whole bunch of people who they are ultimately going to reject... however, I did see that HLS has a webinar event at our school.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:34 am

SLS was at one of the law school events at UCLA. Michigan was there... as was Duke, Berkeley and a few others. Check out your local university... I got a few fee waivers from the events as well.

Crocodile Duck

Postby Crocodile Duck » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:21 am

All I care are if there are any events in San Francisco

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Yes, but recruiting season usually ends around December. Maybe LSAC fairs are year-round?

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:12 am

Crocodile Duck wrote:All I care are if there are any events in San Francisco

+1
Not in college anymore and looking for events open to all applicants. Wonder if HLS ever comes to SF.

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:02 pm

http://www.lsac.org/jd/choose/forums-and-other-events.asp#recruitment

The Bay Area LSAC forum is at the end of June this year.

Besides that, very few schools attend recruitment events in the spring. The ones that do tend to do specific events with university prelaw clubs or advising offices.

I would also make sure you're registered with LSAC and opt to receive email solicitations from law schools. I know I always try to email students when I'm going to be in an area for a fair, but LSAC is the only real place we can get names. If you're not in there, we don't know about you and can't spam you send you information and fee waivers, etc. (For those of you still in school, this means you should also list your ACTUAL current address, not your parents' home address. I'm constantly hearing from students who missed out on a big law fair in their area because I sent them an email about an event near their parents' and not one where they're actually living.)

Dean Perez

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”