Resume Critique Please Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lawhelpneeded2013

New

Resume Critique Please

Post by Lawhelpneeded2013 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:26 am

Anyone willing to look at my resume? I could not get it to upload properely to this forum so I can email it to you.

dnptan

Bronze

Re: Resume Critique Please

Post by dnptan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Save it as a pdf and upload it here:

--LinkRemoved--

Use the 600x800 resolution, or just post the link! See my post (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=202327) for an example of how it turned out

Lawhelpneeded2013

New

Post by Lawhelpneeded2013 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Last edited by Lawhelpneeded2013 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cynthiad

Bronze

Post by cynthiad » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:21 pm

My immediate reaction is that this resume is very heavy on experience, light on education, and has nothing else. I'm guessing your BA GPA was low, because it's not listed and your other GPA's are. You also have way more bullet points under each job than is normal, especially for someone who only graduated a few years ago.

The stuff in your "achievements" section is all related to your listed jobs and education, so it should be under those sections, not in its own section. In fact, your bullet points in the experience section should ideally all list accomplishments, not duties. For instance, if you received an award for saving your employer money, list that under job accomplishments, not buried in a separate section! Similarly, put all the info about your thesis in one spot.

You also need to list other stuff--do you have any volunteer work or extracurriculars? Since you're out of school, you can stick a bullet point about any extracurriculars you did while in school in the relevant education section. However, if you have any volunteer or community work that wasn't done through school, that goes in its own section. If you have any publications, speak foreign languages, or have provable skills like computer programming, list those in their own section.

cynthiad

Bronze

Post by cynthiad » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Note: I'm not familiar with job-hunting in your industry, so this might be an OK resume for getting a job similar to the one you have now, but it's not ideal for applying to law school. Here's an example of how you could reformat your first job listing:

Chrysler Group LLC (Body Shop), Detroit MI
Maintenance Supervisor/Acting Maintenance Manager

*Received award (only capitalize if including name of the award) for the largest Kaizen Project Savings (what is the Kaizen project? Is this the name of the award?) for adding (coordinating? Did you oversee the project or do it youself?) shielding to cables and sensors to a fixture, protecting it if the hood failed to raise properly (note: technical details not really needed. Can you rephrase this?), creating an annual saving of $171,632.00 (specific numbers are good!!)

*Oversee 100 UAW hourly worker and 9 salary workers, ensuring daily targets are met

*Manage day-to-day body shop operations. Set up floater system to optimize (god, don't use this word. Say how the floater system action helped) manpower on a daily system

*Research, analyze and evaluate products such as drives, motors and automated tools for suitability in the production environment, document the pros and cons of each to gain management buy-in

*Write detailed proposals for new profitability projects (better to mention a specific proposal and the outcome that saved the company money)

You really shouldn't have more than 5 bullet points. If you think some that I took out are more important, then replace some of the ones I left in with them. Really try to condense this section, it should be about half as long as you originally had it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:42 pm

That's a huge wall of text. Cut down the job descriptions by at least half for each position. Add spacing. Put Education section first. Find a way to integrate the achievements section into the rest of the document. Add education distinctions/honors/clubs/etc. Add an interests section.

Lawhelpneeded2013

New

Post by Lawhelpneeded2013 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:18 pm

Last edited by Lawhelpneeded2013 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kurohoshi

New

Post by Kurohoshi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Lawhelpneeded2013 wrote:Thank you everyone for your advice and critique. I have taken many of your suggestions and created a new draft. Please advise on if I am getting closer to a law resume format.

Image (LinkRemoved)
upload pics (LinkRemoved)

In resume courses at my university they always told us to limit bullet points about activities to 3-4 points at most. Using fewer, but more significant points, starting with the most important, encourages the reader to actually go through them instead of seeing a huge mass of words.

Also, the school will already get your GPA from your CAS report which is what they will pay attention to so having the GPA for your grad course will only make them wonder how bad you did in undergrad that you didn't report that as well. I'd say if you're going to put it on, report for both or neither.

Lawhelpneeded2013

New

Post by Lawhelpneeded2013 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:33 am

Great advice. I will eliminate the GPA for Grad schools, I believe someone else mentioned that as well. Also, I can rework the bullets to put the bullets with $$ savings first and others second.

Any other suggestions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:59 am

Very Engineering-heavy. I'm rooting for you, fellow Engineer!

1) I'm a big fan of single-line bullets. I also concur that 4 bullets max per entry. Maybe split your GM experience into supervisor and student sections (unless all those accomplishments occurred during the former).

2) The details under your thesis, although impressive, is very wordy for a resume. If you plan to write your PS on that I would say remove it from the resume.

3) Member ... at Kettering University. Maybe you can reformat this so it looks less like a statement, and more like a summary. Something like --
Entrepreneur Club - Kettering University
Robotics Club - Kettering University

At first glance they look like one super club. Splitting them out makes it obvious they are not.

Good Luck!

Lawhelpneeded2013

New

Post by Lawhelpneeded2013 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:21 pm

Last edited by Lawhelpneeded2013 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mls

New

Post by mls » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Is Kettering University the nickname for GMI Engineering and Management Institute, or the new name? If the latter, change "formally" to "formerly."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”