Being an LSAT Tutor Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gossard267

New

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Post by gossard267 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:56 pm

One practical issue with BP: because they pay so much, they need bigger classes. Because they need bigger classes, they are only available in certain cities. Living in even a medium-sized city means at least a 50% chance that they don't even operate, which, as you can imagine, significantly hurts one's odds of finding employment with them. However, these same cities often have PS, TM, Kaplan, etc., because the economics allow them to function with smaller class sizes.

I've been teaching for years, and one thing I've noticed is that base pay is important, but available hours is often the real key to making significant money from tutoring/teaching the LSAT.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:48 pm

gossard267 wrote:One practical issue with BP: because they pay so much, they need bigger classes. Because they need bigger classes, they are only available in certain cities. Living in even a medium-sized city means at least a 50% chance that they don't even operate, which, as you can imagine, significantly hurts one's odds of finding employment with them. However, these same cities often have PS, TM, Kaplan, etc., because the economics allow them to function with smaller class sizes.

I've been teaching for years, and one thing I've noticed is that base pay is important, but available hours is often the real key to making significant money from tutoring/teaching the LSAT.
This is exactly what I was trying to say earlier. Thanks for putting it more succinctly

Also, classes need a certain number of students before they can run without losing money. The break even point is going to be a lot higher for Blueprint than the other companies because of the higher instructor pay. So thats another problem as far as getting hours.

I think the decrease in LSAT takers is having a real impact on the prep market. They are having a rough time filling classes and so its going to be even harder getting an instructor job especially at Blueprint

donmincho

New

Post by donmincho » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:23 am

actually we're doing quite a bit of expanding right now, but i would get on it quick, most of our hiring happens early spring.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”