Being an LSAT Tutor

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lsatquestion
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:45 am

Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby lsatquestion » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:46 pm

.
Last edited by lsatquestion on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

milanproda
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:35 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby milanproda » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Congrats on the score, very impressive

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:52 pm

Being an LSAT tutor is the best job I have ever had. I highly doubt schools will kook down on it, especially if you're with a reputable company and not just Craigslisting everything.
Do it.

User avatar
Sounder89
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby Sounder89 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:49 am

I'm in almost the exact same situation, got a 176, taking a gap year and applied this cycle. I'm starting at TestMasters in March. If you're serious about tutoring you should apply ASAP, so you can get trained an everything before June LSAT classes start up.
Last edited by Sounder89 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby gaud » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:51 am

Micdiddy wrote:Being an LSAT tutor is the best job I have ever had. I highly doubt schools will kook down on it, especially if you're with a reputable company and not just Craigslisting everything.
Do it.


+1. Easy money.

doing_it_in_a_car
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby doing_it_in_a_car » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:36 am

I think softs will actually matter to Y and S. You could split your time between tutoring and volunteering for something you're interested in.

Also, I think the nature of your pre-LS work experience generally matters less to law schools and more to legal employers.

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby Elston Gunn » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:13 am

doing_it_in_a_car wrote:I think softs will actually matter to Y and S. You could split your time between tutoring and volunteering for something you're interested in.

Also, I think the nature of your pre-LS work experience generally matters less to law schools and more to legal employers.


+1

Though there are definitely a few people in the current Yale class who were test prep tutors for a their gap year, despite assumptions.

lsatquestion
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:45 am

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby lsatquestion » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:21 pm

Awesome! Thanks for all the help guys; I'm constantly impressed by how nice people are on TLS. It's definitely given me some food for thought.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby North » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:49 pm

lsatquestion wrote:I'm constantly impressed by how nice people are on TLS.

There's a first.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Don't assume you'll get hired just because of your score. It is not easy to get a gig with Testmasters or BP because of their intensive training. PS is a little easier. PR and Kaplan will hire just about anyone I guess, but they don't pay as much. It will also depend on demand in your area and how many instructors they need. I'm in a major market and all the companies are having trouble filling classes lately.

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:42 pm

edit
Last edited by CyanIdes Of March on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B90
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby B90 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:41 pm

First, congrats on your score. I am sure you worked hard, and I assume you followed some sort of "plan". If you are able to explain your plan to others and teach them your tips and thought process, THAT is what will make you a good tutor. Basically a high score is necessary but not sufficient to successfully tutor others.
If you are wanting to work for a company, they will be most concerned about your ability to teach and work well with others, as well as your reliability. It is still a job after all. They are a business. You are the product they are selling. They want satisfied customers.
Your score will get you an interview, but your teaching ability and enthusiasm will get you the job. A good tutor is much harder to find than someone with a high score who wants to make some extra cash.

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby banjo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:09 am

I tutor the LSAT on a casual basis and enjoy it, but I would try to find full-time work first. Not as easy, but you develop some important skills that might translate well in a 1L or 2L summer job.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby Crowing » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:22 am

Getting a job with Craplan seems really easy; I threw them a half-assed app out of desperation last year and they literally e-mailed me twice and repeatedly called my home and cell phones to try to get me to interview. It doesn't pay well, but it's better than retail I guess.

B90
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby B90 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:51 am

Crowing wrote:Getting a job with Craplan seems really easy; I threw them a half-assed app out of desperation last year and they literally e-mailed me twice and repeatedly called my home and cell phones to try to get me to interview. It doesn't pay well, but it's better than retail I guess.

Getting an interview with K is easy. Part of their advertising is that they hire one out of every six interviewees and reject five out of every six interviewees. In order to do this they need to aquire an absurd number of applicants in order for them to be able to hire enough to fill their open positions.

User avatar
Crocodile Duck
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:12 am

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby Crocodile Duck » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:33 pm

Will you work at Blueprint?

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby sabanist » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:56 pm

B90 wrote:
Crowing wrote:Getting a job with Craplan seems really easy; I threw them a half-assed app out of desperation last year and they literally e-mailed me twice and repeatedly called my home and cell phones to try to get me to interview. It doesn't pay well, but it's better than retail I guess.

Getting an interview with K is easy. Part of their advertising is that they hire one out of every six interviewees and reject five out of every six interviewees. In order to do this they need to aquire an absurd number of applicants in order for them to be able to hire enough to fill their open positions.

They dinged me with a 177 - turns out a grad student at my school already teaches the course, but they were advertising it as open anyway. I was pretty pissed to jump through hoops only to boost their "selectivity."
On the bright side, I got to go back to talking shit about them as a company pretty much immediately :lol:

donmincho
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:57 am

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby donmincho » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:30 am

deleted.
Last edited by donmincho on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Crocodile Duck
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:12 am

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby Crocodile Duck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:15 am

donmincho wrote:Hey dudes. BP instructor here. Definitely apply to work at Blueprint, it's great. But be prepared for an intense interview process--we hire about 5% of applicants, all of whom had to have a 170+.

FWIW, BP is basically Testmasters but a bit refined and much, much more fun.

Good luck!


I don't think Trent Tetti or Matt would like BP being compared to testmasters.....especially after that lawsuit....just saying....

donmincho
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:57 am

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby donmincho » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:58 pm

Yeah well...Testmasters is a good company, I think anyone at BP would admit that, but we're better, and way more fun. That's all.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:03 pm

donmincho wrote:Hey dudes. BP instructor here. Definitely apply to work at Blueprint, it's great. But be prepared for an intense interview process--we hire about 5% of applicants, all of whom had to have a 170+.

edit for job safety

Good luck!


This is also because BP has way less instructor spots open than Testmasters. Its much harder to get a job with BP and that's why they pay more.

rvadog
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby rvadog » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:43 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
This is also because BP has way less instructor spots open than Testmasters. Its much harder to get a job with BP and that's why they pay more.


I know this one.

C) Commenter is interpreting two independent characteristics as having a cause-effect relationship when none exists.

In all seriousness, they don't pay more because they have less instructor spots. That doesn't make sense. They pay more because they want the best instructors and they have to compete for that limited resource with other companies.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:49 pm

rvadog wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
This is also because BP has way less instructor spots open than Testmasters. Its much harder to get a job with BP and that's why they pay more.


I know this one.

C) Commenter is interpreting two independent characteristics as having a cause-effect relationship when none exists.

In all seriousness, they don't pay more because they have less instructor spots. That doesn't make sense. They pay more because they want the best instructors and they have to compete for that limited resource with other companies.

LOL. Lemme guess, BP employee?

BP classes are twice the size of TM and PS, of course they can pay the instructor more when he's essentially doing the same thing.

I was pointing to the limited openings they have compared to competitors to explain why they are so selective.

donmincho
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:57 am

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby donmincho » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:55 pm

rvadog wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
This is also because BP has way less instructor spots open than Testmasters. Its much harder to get a job with BP and that's why they pay more.


I know this one.

C) Commenter is interpreting two independent characteristics as having a cause-effect relationship when none exists.

In all seriousness, they don't pay more because they have less instructor spots. That doesn't make sense. They pay more because they want the best instructors and they have to compete for that limited resource with other companies.


Here's how it works. We pay our instructors more and work backwards. We don't have as many classes because we can't afford to have classes with only 10-20 students, like Testmasters or Powerscore (and Kaplan even more so), when we're paying our instructors so much. We have the lowest profit margins of any prep company, but our central philosophy is that if we have the best instructors, students will want to take our courses.

lsatquestion
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:45 am

Re: Being an LSAT Tutor

Postby lsatquestion » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:36 pm

North wrote:
lsatquestion wrote:I'm constantly impressed by how nice people are on TLS.

There's a first.

I mean, sure, there are trolls, but I think it's pretty awesome that people are willing to take time out of their quite probably busy day to answer questions posted by people they've never, and will never, meet.


First, congrats on your score.

Thanks!

Will you work at Blueprint?

Quite possibly. It depends on
1) Whether they'll hire me
2) How good their pay is (let's be honest--this is a pretty huge factor).

Definitely apply to work at Blueprint, it's great. But be prepared for an intense interview process--we hire about 5% of applicants, all of whom had to have a 170+.

edit for job safety

Good luck!

Thanks! I definitely appreciate your enthusiasm.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: echonov and 6 guests