Transcript Update? (graduate program)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
salad456

Transcript Update? (graduate program)

Postby salad456 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:54 pm

I started a graduate program and decided not to continue the program after the first semester and apply to law school instead (I was explicit about this in all my law school apps). I am officially on a "leave of absence" from the graduate program, and my graduate transcript says that I will be returning in fall 2014. I want to send my grades from the first semester of the graduate program to law schools I am still waiting to hear from, but the school I was attending has nightmarish bureaucracy and I can't get them to take the note off my transcript that says I will be returning from a leave of absence next fall. I am trying to withdraw from the program but it is taking forever to go through. Any thoughts on whether I should send the transcript update anyway (I have already waited like 3 weeks on this, got good grades) or keep waiting until they remove that note?

DocHawkeye

Re: Transcript Update? (graduate program)

Postby DocHawkeye » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:39 pm

salad456 wrote:I started a graduate program and decided not to continue the program after the first semester and apply to law school instead (I was explicit about this in all my law school apps). I am officially on a "leave of absence" from the graduate program, and my graduate transcript says that I will be returning in fall 2014. I want to send my grades from the first semester of the graduate program to law schools I am still waiting to hear from, but the school I was attending has nightmarish bureaucracy and I can't get them to take the note off my transcript that says I will be returning from a leave of absence next fall. I am trying to withdraw from the program but it is taking forever to go through. Any thoughts on whether I should send the transcript update anyway (I have already waited like 3 weeks on this, got good grades) or keep waiting until they remove that note?

Send the transcript. I don't think the notation will matter for several reasons. First, law schools don't consider graduate work when evaluating applications in the same way they consider undergrad work (i.e.: your grad gpa won't matter for admission purposes). Second, it seems rather implicit that if you're admitted to a law school, you would withdraw from your current grad program. Third, people send work-in-progress transcripts all the time. Even my law school transcript has courses listed on it (without grades) that I have enrolled in, but not completed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”