Should I notify schools of this?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

notify?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:02 pm

yes
81%
no
19%

Total votes: 16

lsatprepguy

Should I notify schools of this?

Postby lsatprepguy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:01 pm

I graduated a semester early and I just accepted an analyst position at a well-known bank.
Seeing as I have no full time experience on my resume, this would probably be a good thing to help my pending applications.
However, it also throws up a huge flag and essentially spells out for them that I will be asking for a deferral if ultimately accepted.
Do you think it will benefit or harm me to inform them of this?

JamMasterJ

Re: Should I notify schools of this?

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:07 pm

It will help at least inasmuch as it shows you're doing something productive with your time off. Schools probably aren't concerned about you choosing not law school over them as much as they're concerned about losing you to other schools.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:12 pm

The bar will want to know every paid and unpaid job anyways, good or bad.
(and they will compare these facts to the ones on your law school application to try to find any thing that it is in one and not the other)

Most law school applications ask the question about employment so you might as well toss it in. I doubt they'd go as far to consider it a violation not to, but I can only see this being a neutral or a good, so why wouldn't you?

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:20 pm

Also, if you've been "Lsat prepguy" since 2011 you must have your lsat done by now along with said degree.

Why are you only starting to apply now? Many do it Junior year.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:41 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:Also, if you've been "Lsat prepguy" since 2011 you must have your lsat done by now along with said degree.

pending

lsatprepguy

Postby lsatprepguy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:51 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:Also, if you've been "Lsat prepguy" since 2011 you must have your lsat done by now along with said degree.

pending

Edit: nevermind, musunderstood what thelawdoctor was saying first time I read it.

To both of you and poll voters, thanks for the feedback. I have decided to notify them and cross my fingers.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:11 pm

Good choice, wishing you the best on it all.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:35 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:The bar will want to know every paid and unpaid job anyways, good or bad.
(and they will compare these facts to the ones on your law school application to try to find any thing that it is in one and not the other)

Most law school applications ask the question about employment so you might as well toss it in. I doubt they'd go as far to consider it a violation not to, but I can only see this being a neutral or a good, so why wouldn't you?

Stop it.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:41 pm

cinephile wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:The bar will want to know every paid and unpaid job anyways, good or bad.

Stop it.

stop what, reality?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”