C & F Hot Check

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
micah0104

C & F Hot Check

Postby micah0104 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:23 am

Will I be denied admission for a hot check that wrote on a closed account for 45 dollars when I was 20 (5 years ago)? It has been expunged but I will still disclose it.

I am concerned because it shows me be knowingly dishonest because the account had already been closed.

I am only applying to a T2 part-time program because I am mother of two and going to school locally is my only option since my husband is a local restaurant owner so it is not like I am applying to T14 or anything.

TripTrip

Re: C & F Hot Check

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:11 am

You should be fine, but....

Are you expecting some major scholarship money? If not, why are you going to law school? What are you going to do with the degree?

micah0104

Postby micah0104 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:35 am

I am not expecting major scholarship money, it will be all loans. I am about halfway finished with my MPA and would ideally like to work in policy, state legislative research, etc. but practicing law is another good option. I am finding that an MPA alone will not get me where I would ideally like to be. I do not plan on going to the greatest law school in the world but definitely not the worst. The school will be plenty sufficient to work in my local Metropolitan area and state government. People do not normally come into Arkansas having attended out of state law schools so I should competitive enough when looking for a job.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:46 am

Just promise you'll pay the seat deposit in cash and you should be fine.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:40 pm

micah0104 wrote:I am concerned because it shows me be knowingly dishonest because the account had already been closed.

Admissions aside, you should talk with someone from your state Bar about this to make sure you'll clear C&F for them after graduation.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:25 pm

This could be a troll. If not;

I am not expecting major scholarship money, it will be all loans.

Incredibly bad idea. You will literally be cutting down your paycheck by 20k for the next ten years, and that's post taxes.

I am about halfway finished with my MPA and would ideally like to work in policy, state legislative research

If you don't want to practice law first and foremost, don't go to law school. This is like going to medical school to be vet.

I am finding that an MPA alone will not get me where I would ideally like to be.

As an MPA student myself, you're not going to be getting phone calls from the state board pleading with you to take over the department of insurance if you did a MPA at a regional school. If you want to start in policy, you have to actually work your way up.

I do not plan on going to the greatest law school in the world but definitely not the worst. The school will be plenty sufficient to work in my local Metropolitan area and state government. People do not normally come into Arkansas having attended out of state law schools so I should competitive enough when looking for a job.

This actually makes you less competitive to getting a job in Arkansas.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:50 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:This could be a troll. If not;

I am not expecting major scholarship money, it will be all loans.

Incredibly bad idea. You will literally be cutting down your paycheck by 20k for the next ten years, and that's post taxes.

I am about halfway finished with my MPA and would ideally like to work in policy, state legislative research

If you don't want to practice law first and foremost, don't go to law school. This is like going to medical school to be vet.

I am finding that an MPA alone will not get me where I would ideally like to be.

As an MPA student myself, you're not going to be getting phone calls from the state board pleading with you to take over the department of insurance if you did a MPA at a regional school. If you want to start in policy, you have to actually work your way up.

I do not plan on going to the greatest law school in the world but definitely not the worst. The school will be plenty sufficient to work in my local Metropolitan area and state government. People do not normally come into Arkansas having attended out of state law schools so I should competitive enough when looking for a job.

This actually makes you less competitive to getting a job in Arkansas.

+1

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 pm

bp shinners wrote:
micah0104 wrote:I am concerned because it shows me be knowingly dishonest because the account had already been closed.

Admissions aside, you should talk with someone from your state Bar about this to make sure you'll clear C&F for them after graduation.

Yeah, this. Fraud is one of the huge things they look for that can make applying to the bar feel like a prison rectal exam.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”