resume question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
totoro

resume question

Postby totoro » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Last edited by totoro on Thu May 16, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stillwater

Re: Currently not working, addressing employment gap on resume

Postby stillwater » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:15 pm

if you are talking about the law school admissions process, they won't care. all law schools are run by crooks looking to inflate their hard numbers: GPA/LSAT. they hide behind lies of holistic processes because - actually I dunno why. in short, no one cares.

totoro

Postby totoro » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:18 pm

stillwater wrote:if you are talking about the law school admissions process, they won't care. all law schools are run by crooks looking to inflate their hard numbers: GPA/LSAT. they hide behind lies of holistic processes because - actually I dunno why. in short, no one cares.

Would it be acceptable to write an addendum indicating the reasons I listed above?
Last edited by totoro on Thu May 16, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:19 pm

totoro wrote:
stillwater wrote:if you are talking about the law school admissions process, they won't care. all law schools are run by crooks looking to inflate their hard numbers: GPA/LSAT. they hide behind lies of holistic processes because - actually I dunno why. in short, no one cares.

Thanks for your response. There are a couple schools I think (Chicago, BU) that want you to specifically account for all time periods or gaps. Would it be acceptable to write an addendum indicating the reasons I listed above?

I assume so. I don't think people are totally blind to the fact that the job market is pretty brutal. You can be honest but I don't think it will hold you back at all.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Just tell them you sent out a ton of resumes after graduating, but got no responses. It would also be helpful to do some volunteer work/minimum wage stuff in the meantime.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:39 pm

Go be a substitute teacher.

totoro

Postby totoro » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:45 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Just tell them you sent out a ton of resumes after graduating, but got no responses. It would also be helpful to do some volunteer work/minimum wage stuff in the meantime.
Last edited by totoro on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:08 pm

Nah, it's really not an issue at most places. Who doesn't have a "wasted" year or two after college these days. As long as your numbers check out, you'll be just dandy.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:26 pm

Hey OP, I actually went through the same thing myself. I was working and my contract ended, which allowed me to focus on the LSAT and applications. Most of the schools I applied to didn't really care, though a few (probably 3-4) specifically asked for an explanation for the gap in employment. I wrote a really brief addendum that incorporated why I wasn't working (contract over), what I had been doing during the gap (study/ apps), and what I planned to do before heading to law school(job or volunteer). Hope that helps.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”