What percent of law students attend a T14? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gman

New

What percent of law students attend a T14?

Post by gman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Just curious. Wondering if anyone has this stat. Obviously the T14 represents 14 out of 200 schools, so I would expect the number to be between 5 and 15%.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: What percent of law students attend a T14?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:30 pm

About 10

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:40 pm

It seems really strange that the number is that small. Nearly everyone I've met (online and IRL) is a "T30 or bust" type.

Sorta feel bad for all those folks making bad decisions about LS. A friend of mine from high school who moved out to California recently posted how excited he was to get into Whittier, and all of his family were going ballistic about how proud they were. I feel like I should say something.

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:47 pm

We can do math to figure this out:

Fall 2011 total matriculation: ~45,600
Fall 2011 T14 class size total- 4,475

That's a little less than 10%.

Which makes sense- there are 14 law schools out of about ~200. That's 7% compared to 9.8%.
Last edited by onionz on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:49 pm

We can do math to figure this out

Not so fast, grasshopper. Many prelaw types are math-challenged. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:32 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:It seems really strange that the number is that small. Nearly everyone I've met (online and IRL) is a "T30 or bust" type.
Doesn't seem that strange at all, actually. Why would anyone aspire to go to a sub-par law school?

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:40 pm

onionz wrote:We can do math to figure this out:

Fall 2011 total matriculation: ~45,600
Fall 2011 T14 class size total- 4,475

That's a little less than 10%.

Which makes sense- there are 14 law schools out of about ~200. That's 7% compared to 9.8%.
OP didn't actually confine his definition of law schools to ABA approved, so its actually less than even that.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:07 pm

Big Dog wrote:
We can do math to figure this out

Not so fast, grasshopper. Many prelaw types are math-challenged. :mrgreen:
Not calling out you personally, but I hate this joke.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:20 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:It seems really strange that the number is that small. Nearly everyone I've met (online and IRL) is a "T30 or bust" type.
Doesn't seem that strange at all, actually. Why would anyone aspire to go to a sub-par law school?
I think you misunderstood what he found to be strange.

Also, this is TLS! Remember LSAT prep guys? I could not believe how few people got a 170, or even a 160 for that matter, because the "people I knew" were TLSers all screaming "I got a 171 on my PT today. Wanted to kill myself afterward." Same thing with the people I know looking into law school, of course they are t14 or bust.
It's not reality, it's TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:45 pm

Yeah, what I meant was that most people I have encountered would just say "**** it", and either reapply or do something else if they didn't get into Fordham or higher (I'm a NYer). I don't think anyone realistically aspires for Stanford and winds up at Whittier. It would seem that a fair number are happy with a "good" TTT, I just haven't actually met any. Though I suppose that isn't something you disclose.

EDIT: Surprised more so in the real world. I expect a place like this to be ultra competitive.
Last edited by RhymesLikeDimes on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Micdiddy wrote:It's not reality, it's TLS.
Touché. That's a good way of putting it.

Edit: Major quoting fail.
Last edited by PRgradBYU on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:02 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Yeah, what I meant was that most people I have encountered would just say "**** it", and either reapply or do something else if they didn't get into Fordham or higher (I'm a NYer). I don't think anyone realistically aspires for Stanford and winds up at Whittier. It would seem that a fair number are happy with a "good" TTT, I just haven't actually met any. Though I suppose that isn't something you disclose.

EDIT: Surprised more so in the real world. I expect a place like this to be ultra competitive.
Most people I meet aim for T30's or T50's (usually top regionals) but are more than willing to settle for anything in the top 100. Retaking is rarely something even considered in the real world, in my experience at least.

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:06 pm

Most people I talk to in the "real" world are just astonished by my 170 and the schools I applied to. Here the response is, "meh, retake?" It's just a different mindset on TLS, and I'm glad it's not more wide spread or I'd have a much more difficult time getting in anywhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:12 pm

guinness1547 wrote:Most people I talk to in the "real" world are just astonished by my 170 and the schools I applied to. Here the response is, "meh, retake?" It's just a different mindset on TLS, and I'm glad it's not more wide spread or I'd have a much more difficult time getting in anywhere.
Haha! This is true.

I almost feel bad for TLSers beating themselves up for scoring anything outside the 99th percentile. Breathe, people.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:28 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:It's not reality, it's TLS.
Quoting fail?
guinness1547 wrote:Most people I talk to in the "real" world are just astonished by my 170 and the schools I applied to. Here the response is, "meh, retake?" It's just a different mindset on TLS, and I'm glad it's not more wide spread or I'd have a much more difficult time getting in anywhere.
Yeah, I remember discussing with my wife's Aunt that I would probably retake my 173, and she almost spit out her water.
I love TLS. I feel stupid and inadequate here. It's fun.

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:16 pm

My undergrad's average LSAT score is apparently 147, which is one of the lowest I have ever seen. Those lying SOBs... no wonder they all wound up at Albany and NYLS.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:08 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:23 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
I got a big taste of "It's not reality, it's TLS" earlier today when I found out that of all the people who apply in a typical cycle, more than half of them wait until mid-January before sending in their first application.

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:37 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
I got a big taste of "It's not reality, it's TLS" earlier today when I found out that of all the people who apply in a typical cycle, more than half of them wait until mid-January before sending in their first application.
Yep. I have two friends applying this cycle and they have yet to turn in any apps.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:23 am

Regulus wrote:You might have experienced this as a BYU student (I assume that's where you went because of your user name), but a lot of my relatives (they are all Mormon) would actually brag when their kids got into BYU law school.... and I think it can be the same for other regional schools, too. A lot of people simply don't do research and only go off what they know or have been told. The legal field used to be a great job market to go into, so parents might suggest that their kids stay locally and go to a regional law school without knowing how much that will screw up their children's futures.
Yeah, that's actually pretty common. BYU law is a big deal to a lot of people out here, and I'm sure the same applies to regional law schools in their respective regions. I admit that when I started thinking about law school, my dream was to end up at BYU--I thought I would have it made and get a golden ticket for life. Luckily, 99% of BYU's law students are Mormon and pay what is probably the lowest tuition in the country for their schooling, so the program is a bit of a bargain (that is, if you can overlook the 51% employment rate).

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:30 am

guinness1547 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
Yep. I have two friends applying this cycle and they have yet to turn in any apps.
I applied to most schools the first week of January this cycle, too, but I'd be willing to bet most people on TLS got their apps in around mid-November!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:23 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:It's not reality, it's TLS.
Whoops. I sent out apps last week. I wanted to send them out super early, but had LoR problems. Oh well.
PRgradBYU wrote: I admit that when I started thinking about law school, my dream was to end up at BYU--I thought I would have it made and get a golden ticket for life.
Dude, talk about naive, U.C. Davis King's Hall is what motivated me to take the LSAT in the first place. I was like "Oh my god, I can has law school at Davis?"

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:07 am

Micdiddy wrote:Dude, talk about naive, U.C. Davis King's Hall is what motivated me to take the LSAT in the first place. I was like "Oh my god, I can has law school at Davis?"
Well hey, whatever it takes to give us that initial motivation, right? Something's gotta get the ball rolling.

...unless you get your UG at Southern University and you're aspiring to enter their law program (http://www.top-law-schools.com/southern ... enter.html). I LOL'd hard when I read this on their profile: "58.3 percent of SULC graduates passed the Louisiana state bar exam."

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:14 am

PRgradBYU wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Dude, talk about naive, U.C. Davis King's Hall is what motivated me to take the LSAT in the first place. I was like "Oh my god, I can has law school at Davis?"
Well hey, whatever it takes to give us that initial motivation, right? Something's gotta get the ball rolling.

...unless you get your UG at Southern University and you're aspiring to enter their law program (http://www.top-law-schools.com/southern ... enter.html). I LOL'd hard when I read this on their profile: "58.3 percent of SULC graduates passed the Louisiana state bar exam."
55% of takers pass the michigan bar http://abovethelaw.com/tag/bar-passage-rates/

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:26 am

PRgradBYU wrote:

For sure. I am happy for that motivation, and honestly I still think to myself some nights that I would take full ride at Davis over a t10. But then again I live here and went to ug here, so there's that emotional attachment.
But OMG did you see Southern U is only 12k a year for full-time! Talk about not having debt post law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”