Diversity Statement - yes or no?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Diversity Statement - yes or no?

Postby dnptan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi all!

I was wondering how useful a diversity statement is in general, and how pertinent it would be in my case. I'm aiming for T5 up (reach with 3.82/170) in particular Stanford. Here's my case:

co-founded start-up
Engineering/natural science double major
Philippine Citizen

I decided 1) would be best for a personal statement and 2) will be a mediocre soft at best. However I wanted to maybe sell number 3) more via a diversity statement.

I went to a science-based public high school in a developing nation on a full scholarship (Our public schools aren't free). Although surrounded by some of the brightest minds in the country, I found that there were severe, infectious inferiority complex. I want to maybe write on my experience in High School with sub-par facilities; optimistic, bright but underpowered kids; the power of community (we funded a drive to get one of my classmates a plane ticket to come back to school). Most importantly, I want to focus not on how "I got out" and went to a top US school, but rather emphasize that it wasn't "getting out" but rather seeing it in a different light that gave me the tools to rise above the challenges and see the value of the situation.

Re: Diversity Statement - yes or no?

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:27 pm

dnptan wrote:Philippine Citizen

Sounds like a potential DS to me.

Re: Diversity Statement - yes or no?

Postby North » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Go for it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”