U of Chicago Fee Waiver

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PRgradBYU

U of Chicago Fee Waiver

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:46 pm

I'm just curious to know how many people have received a CRS data-based fee waiver from U of Chicago in their email over the past couple weeks (not a fee waiver for being an UG at Chicago, Teach for America member, etc.). If you did, would you mind posting your numbers so I can know if I should even bother waiting for one? Thanks, guys.

edamame

Re: U of Chicago Fee Waiver

Postby edamame » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:51 pm

172 + / 4 +

Received through CRS; K-JD candidate

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:19 pm

Your fee waiver email makes complete sense with those numbers. It's strange because aside from HYS and Berkeley, U of Chicago is the only T14 that hasn't sent me a fee waiver. I wouldn't be expecting one if I hadn't received waivers from the other T14s.

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:07 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Your fee waiver email makes complete sense with those numbers. It's strange because aside from HYS and Berkeley, U of Chicago is the only T14 that hasn't sent me a fee waiver. I wouldn't be expecting one if I hadn't received waivers from the other T14s.
Last edited by talesofyore on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curious66

Postby curious66 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:13 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:I'm just curious to know how many people have received a CRS data-based fee waiver from U of Chicago in their email over the past couple weeks (not a fee waiver for being an UG at Chicago, Teach for America member, etc.). If you did, would you mind posting your numbers so I can know if I should even bother waiting for one? Thanks, guys.

I got one much earlier in the cycle (Oct?) 168/3.8+. However I have been under review like forever and folks on TLS mentioned that many schools do fee waivers just to increase their number of applications so that they look more selective for rankings. That said, all the other schools in the T14 that a gave me a fee waiver have come back with an acceptance. Make of that what you will.

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:24 pm

170, 3.8 here...did not receive a waiver. Also that score was from the Dec administration

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I definitely agree that a good number of schools send out fee waivers to everyone--both qualified candidates and out-of-reach candidates--to increase their application numbers; it's a viable tactic, I suppose. I was just bummed out because I wrote U of Chicago a nice, personalized inquiry for a fee waiver stating why I need the fee waiver, what my numbers are, etc., and received a generic response that was literally copied verbatim from their website. They couldn't even write me back with a hint of a personal touch. Talk about adding insult to injury!

I digress. My guess is that 1) Chicago isn't interested in my CRS numbers or 2) it's too late in the cycle for them to continue sending out fee waivers (although literally every other school from which I've solicited a fee waiver has granted my request). Probably the latter. I'm guessing you applied in Oct./Nov. as well, talesofyore?

And thanks, FlowBro. They're probably just being picky at this point.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:29 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Thanks for the feedback, guys. I definitely agree that a good number of schools send out fee waivers to everyone--both qualified candidates and out-of-reach candidates--to increase their application numbers; it's a viable tactic, I suppose. I was just bummed out because I wrote U of Chicago a nice, personalized inquiry for a fee waiver stating why I need the fee waiver, what my numbers are, etc., and received a generic response that was literally copied verbatim from their website. They couldn't even write me back with a hint of a personal touch. Talk about adding insult to injury!

I digress. My guess is that 1) Chicago isn't interested in my CRS numbers or 2) it's too late in the cycle for them to continue sending out fee waivers (although literally every other school from which I've solicited a fee waiver has granted my request). Probably the latter. I'm guessing you applied in Oct./Nov. as well, talesofyore?

And thanks, FlowBro. They're probably just being picky at this point.

For what it's worth, I was never notified that I had a fee waiver, but I had one hidden, so it might be worth checking that out. Hope you've got one!

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:23 pm

elterrible78 wrote:For what it's worth, I was never notified that I had a fee waiver, but I had one hidden, so it might be worth checking that out. Hope you've got one!

Good point! I actually did check for that yesterday and as of then, no hidden fee waivers with them. I'm probably just being a tightwad by complaining on here about this, though.

takingchances

Postby takingchances » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:20 pm

talesofyore wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:Your fee waiver email makes complete sense with those numbers. It's strange because aside from HYS and Berkeley, U of Chicago is the only T14 that hasn't sent me a fee waiver. I wouldn't be expecting one if I hadn't received waivers from the other T14s.

I got one. URM, 160, 3.34

Did you take the LSAT in December?

haveahat

Postby haveahat » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:33 pm

U Chicago was the only school I applied to that did not offer me a fee waiver (other than the ones who do not offer them. I took the June test, ended up applying mid/late october. A lot of June test people had email or hidden waivers by the time I finally decided to give up waiting for the waiver, but no such luck for me. My numbers were 3.9x/173.

Edit: grammar

mommalee

Postby mommalee » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:24 am

I am an URM 165/3.74. I got a fee waiver 2 weeks after receiving my LSAT score. It could be that you need to wait a little longer to hear back from Chicago and they will grant you a fee waiver.

Postby 2014 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:21 am

They didn't offer me a fee waiver last year either. Oh well, happy to donate to a good cause.

Don't read anything into the form email, the admissions office is like literally 2 people and they probably deal with dozens a day. There are a lot of things worth judging schools over, but tone of admissions department is not a great one.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:45 am

Yeah, I'm not holding it against them. They're not one of my tops schools anyway, though, so it's highly unlikely that I'm going to send an app their way without that fee waiver (especially this late in the cycle). But thanks for the responses.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”