Targeted Letter: Stanford - What should be in it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dnptan

Targeted Letter: Stanford - What should be in it?

Postby dnptan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on what Stanford wants to see in its LoRs. I have 3 recommenders that are willing to write a school-specific letter for me: My Professor of 4 years, and the 2 group leaders of my current job (IP law, patent search and litigation support).

Besides my resume and transcript, what should I ask them to write about? They all know me really well (first name basis; facebook friends; cellphone numbers etc).

spicyyoda17

Re: Targeted Letter: Stanford - What should be in it?

Postby spicyyoda17 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:12 pm

dnptan wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on what Stanford wants to see in its LoRs. I have 3 recommenders that are willing to write a school-specific letter for me: My Professor of 4 years, and the 2 group leaders of my current job (IP law, patent search and litigation support).

Besides my resume and transcript, what should I ask them to write about? They all know me really well (first name basis; facebook friends; cellphone numbers etc).

Powerful LORs include these 2 things:

1) Specific examples of your schoolwork that are impressive and complimentary. Talking about how you are a strong students means little. Giving specific examples of what makes you a strong student means much more.
2) If the professor can talk about your achievement and abilities relative to other students he/she has had in the past, including those who have gone on to such and such law schools. This creates a benchmark from which adcoms can evaluate against relative to other candidates at the school.

As it relates to Stanford, it would be nice if these professors have recommended other students in the past that have attended Stanford and the professors can talk openly and honestly about your relative and superior merit compared to these former students.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”