LORs: do schools care about who your profs. are?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JayJones78

LORs: do schools care about who your profs. are?

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:00 pm

I am wondering if the schools care at all where your profs. came from i.e where they got their phd and their standing in your school (for exp. I have a LOR of rec from an associate dean, does that play any role?)
also - I have in two different apps recommenders who got their phds from the school I'm applying to. Do adcoms look into things like that at all? Is it ever a factor in evaluating the LOR?

Thanks!

TripTrip

Re: LORs: do schools care about who your profs. are?

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:11 pm

JayJones78 wrote:I am wondering if the schools care at all where your profs. came from i.e where they got their phd and their standing in your school (for exp. I have a LOR of rec from an associate dean, does that play any role?)
also - I have in two different apps recommenders who got their phds from the school I'm applying to. Do adcoms look into things like that at all? Is it ever a factor in evaluating the LOR?

Thanks!

No and no.

LoRs are about YOU. Doesn't matter who they come from; content is all that counts.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:22 pm

TripTrip wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:I am wondering if the schools care at all where your profs. came from i.e where they got their phd and their standing in your school (for exp. I have a LOR of rec from an associate dean, does that play any role?)

Thanks!

No and no.

LoRs are about YOU. Doesn't matter who they come from; content is all that counts.

Makes sense. I was just wondering if they even care about who those people are 8)

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:28 pm

i don't see how it would help for the LOR writer just to state that they attended the school - he/she would have to actually know shit about what the adcoms want and explicitly make the connection between their personal knowledge and YOUR candidacy. even then i can't imagine it meaning much. it's just an LOR after all.

one of my LOR writers is a professor who graduated from a T14 law school that i'm applying to. she didn't include anything about the law school in my LOR, but did send a separate letter to "her people" at the law school on my behalf. it is nice to have an extra "something" in my file to underscore my interest since i never interviewed at the school or anything, but it's nothing more than that.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:42 pm

fallingup wrote:i don't see how it would help for the LOR writer just to state that they attended the school - he/she would have to actually know shit about what the adcoms want and explicitly make the connection between their personal knowledge and YOUR candidacy. even then i can't imagine it meaning much. it's just an LOR after all.

one of my LOR writers is a professor who graduated from a T14 law school that i'm applying to. she didn't include anything about the law school in my LOR, but did send a separate letter to "her people" at the law school on my behalf. it is nice to have an extra "something" in my file to underscore my interest since i never interviewed at the school or anything, but it's nothing more than that.

I agree with the notion it most likely means nothing but I was just wondering.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:01 pm

no, in fact several deans are on record saying they prefer LOR's from TA's if they know your work better than a PhD who really doesn't know who you are.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:33 pm

Br3v wrote:no, in fact several deans are on record saying they prefer LOR's from TA's if they know your work better than a PhD who really doesn't know who you are.

Well in my case in LORs are from an S.J., a ThD and a PhD, all of them know me personally. The first two were my profs. in multiple classes (EDIT: of 20 or less students) and the last was my advisor my entire time in undergrad and knows me and my story back to back. That's one of the good things of going to a super small college :)

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:57 pm

LORs mean close to nothing. HTH.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:00 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:LORs mean close to nothing. HTH.

My opinion is that like other parameters in the app they come to play when the adcoms are trying to decide between two applicants, or when they are unsure about you and what to know more. I am happy with the people I chose for a rec.

cgw

Postby cgw » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:06 pm

lol. I had such a hard time convincing my recommender that law schools don't care about this. She seemed to think they have a great disdain for english profs and that this would hurt my application somehow. I was like, dude, I took 4 classes with you and you advised my honors thesis who else am I supposed to ask?

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:16 pm

cgw wrote:lol. I had such a hard time convincing my recommender that law schools don't care about this. She seemed to think they have a great disdain for english profs and that this would hurt my application somehow. I was like, dude, I took 4 classes with you and you advised my honors thesis who else am I supposed to ask?

Ha. It was pretty easy for me to get my recs. I was sorry to read here about people who had trouble with either finding recs or making them actually send their letters to LSAC. I found it one of the easiest parts of the app.

cgw

Postby cgw » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:41 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
cgw wrote:lol. I had such a hard time convincing my recommender that law schools don't care about this. She seemed to think they have a great disdain for english profs and that this would hurt my application somehow. I was like, dude, I took 4 classes with you and you advised my honors thesis who else am I supposed to ask?

Ha. It was pretty easy for me to get my recs. I was sorry to read here about people who had trouble with either finding recs or making them actually send their letters to LSAC. I found it one of the easiest parts of the app.

It was kind of a funny experience, really. She agreed to do it but insisted on thoroughly researching the process and polling at least 3 people who had written law school recs. I know she wrote me the best letter I could ask for, in the end.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:49 pm

lots of cool stories in here

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:09 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:lots of cool stories in here

Mine was like: hey Dr/Dr/Fr. I'm applying to law school. Can you please write me a rec?
Sure. Okay thanks. I'll email you the info later today.

That was it. All 3 were submitted withing 3 weeks or so.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”