Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kartelite
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby kartelite » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:53 pm

I'm a bit older than most would-be applicants (late 20s) and have been entertaining the idea of law school. I'm not at a point where I want to take on any extra debt, so I would only consider fully-funded offers (tuition plus living stipend). Would appreciate any info on Top 10 programs where I have a realistic shot at full funding. I'm guessing HYS is out but am hopeful about some others.

Stats:
176 LSAT
3.8 undergrad GPA
Two graduate degrees in quantitative disciplines
3 years working at high-profile financial service firms
Excellent other softs (international experience, multi-lingual, very involved in college extracurriculars incl. captain of varsity sports team)

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby curious66 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:01 pm

kartelite wrote:I'm a bit older than most would-be applicants (late 20s) and have been entertaining the idea of law school. I'm not at a point where I want to take on any extra debt, so I would only consider fully-funded offers (tuition plus living stipend). Would appreciate any info on Top 10 programs where I have a realistic shot at full funding. I'm guessing HYS is out but am hopeful about some others.

Stats:
176 LSAT
3.8 undergrad GPA
Two graduate degrees in quantitative disciplines
3 years working at high-profile financial service firms
Excellent other softs (international experience, multi-lingual, very involved in college extracurriculars incl. captain of varsity sports team)


You should blanket the T10 schools EARLY in the next cycle and roll the dice. I'm sure something would come through with those stats.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby Dany » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:10 pm

Some information is here: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 5&t=144338 but while I have heard of some schools offering small stipends in addition to full tuition (Chicago did it with some but not all Rubensteins, and I believe Michigan offers some Darrows with living stipends?) I have never heard of someone getting law school fully-funded including cost of living.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15487
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:31 pm

I wouldn't expect anything above full tuition, and even that's far from a guarantee. If you want to keep debt down consider applying Early Decision to Northwestern, which for the past two cycles has meant a 150K scholarship.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:35 pm

I'd be stunned if some school in the T10 didn't offer you full tuition, but living stipends are very uncommon.

You'll need to convince MVP you'd actually attend if admitted, in order to avoid yield protection treatment. You should apply to at least Duke and Northwestern as well, as the distinction between these and MBVP is pretty artificial.

YHS offer terrific need-based aid, but your work history leads me to think you probably have decent savings. I came in after years in the non-profit world -- i.e., essentially broke -- and YLS and SLS (and HLS to a slightly lesser extent) threw huge grant offers my way.

kartelite
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby kartelite » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:30 pm

Okay that's interesting - my previous degrees offered full tuition and stipend, but that's standard for those fields of study. I have a degree from one of MVP so I'm sure at least that school would think I'd attend, but would kind of like to be either in NYC or California (so Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Berkeley, possibly UCLA).

I actually don't have much in savings since I've done a good bit of traveling and most of my equity is in my home (which has a significant mortgage, so that's why I was hoping for a stipend haha). How is a home considered for financial aid? It's certainly not a liquid asset that I can draw on (I don't think a home equity loan is something I want to deal with).

A separate issue is, what kind of job could I get coming out if I don't want to be an associate at a law firm? My experience is pretty good, but would I actually have to practice in a law firm before embarking on a path to be general counsel somewhere or joining a hedge fund? I'm currently making as much as most new associates from top schools, but don't want to be subject to that lifestyle at a more advanced age.

Another of my motivations for applying is that I think I'd actually really enjoy law school, but my main concern is the financial impediment.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby Dany » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:37 pm

What do you want to do with a law degree?

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:49 pm

kartelite wrote:A separate issue is, what kind of job could I get coming out if I don't want to be an associate at a law firm? My experience is pretty good, but would I actually have to practice in a law firm before embarking on a path to be general counsel somewhere or joining a hedge fund? I'm currently making as much as most new associates from top schools, but don't want to be subject to that lifestyle at a more advanced age.

Another of my motivations for applying is that I think I'd actually really enjoy law school, but my main concern is the financial impediment.


In-house: very limited opportunities right out of school. AFAIK only two companies have programs to hire directly for in-house (HP and Pfizer) and between the two of them they take fewer than 10 students. Hedge funds are unlikely to hire you an in-house counsel without significant work experience because you won't know enough right out of school to do the job.

There is also a limited market for JDs in non legal jobs, namely consulting. You'll be hired at the same level as a post MBA at MBB but outside of MBB opportunities are scarce. Also access to any of these opportunities, including in house becomes very limited outside of HYS and to some extent CCN. Obviously if you're already making associate-level money, this would be a downgrade for you.

Edit: in house pay is $160 for the Pfizer program (which takes 1-3 students) and $120-30 for HP. Also significant work exp. required for GC is not in terms of years. Very high quality firm work for 2-3 years can open some doors.

TA923
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Re: Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby TA923 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:53 pm

kartelite wrote:A separate issue is, what kind of job could I get coming out if I don't want to be an associate at a law firm? My experience is pretty good, but would I actually have to practice in a law firm before embarking on a path to be general counsel somewhere or joining a hedge fund? I'm currently making as much as most new associates from top schools, but don't want to be subject to that lifestyle at a more advanced age.

Another of my motivations for applying is that I think I'd actually really enjoy law school, but my main concern is the financial impediment.


Troll.

kartelite
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby kartelite » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:48 am

TA923 wrote:
kartelite wrote:A separate issue is, what kind of job could I get coming out if I don't want to be an associate at a law firm? My experience is pretty good, but would I actually have to practice in a law firm before embarking on a path to be general counsel somewhere or joining a hedge fund? I'm currently making as much as most new associates from top schools, but don't want to be subject to that lifestyle at a more advanced age.

Another of my motivations for applying is that I think I'd actually really enjoy law school, but my main concern is the financial impediment.


Troll.


I'm not sure there's any need for name calling and inflammatory comments. Believe me, I have better things to do with my time than trolling message boards. I mentioned hedge funds since I've dealt with asset management firms quite a bit both on the sell-side (when I was at a bank) and in my current work. I used to do due diligence visits with fund managers, and noticed there were a number of senior staff with JDs. I'm also a CFA level 3 candidate, and I'm pretty sure anyone familiar with asset management would know what that means.

Anyway, my LSAT score is over 3 years old (I actually mailed in a job acceptance about 10 minutes before my score came through to my email), so I would have at most two cycles left to apply, possibly one. I'm not hell-bent on applying, but I do want to investigate my options before my score expires, particularly since it's such a major undertaking.

I'm not interested in MBB or management consulting in general, particularly after 3 years in law school. My inclination is towards a job in the finance industry where I could draw upon both my prior industry experience and legal background - so an in-house general counsel-track job would be ideal, but from what I'm gathering it seems like supply of such jobs is fairly low, and I would need actual "firm" experience before getting into that. I also wouldn't mind having a "terminal" degree that I could eventually teach with, considering that was my original goal (I left my PhD program a few years back).

I really appreciate all the (serious) replies, you guys are a very helpful resource.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:10 pm

If you're already making $160k, why would you go to law school?

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby Dany » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:11 pm

TripTrip wrote:If you're already making $160k, why would you go to law school?

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:15 pm

Your numbers are similar to mine and you have better softs.

Chance of full ride + stipends that I know of at Michigan.

Full ride chances at CCNMVPDNC


good luck
Last edited by sinfiery on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby wert3813 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 pm

kartelite wrote:
TA923 wrote:
kartelite wrote:A separate issue is, what kind of job could I get coming out if I don't want to be an associate at a law firm? My experience is pretty good, but would I actually have to practice in a law firm before embarking on a path to be general counsel somewhere or joining a hedge fund? I'm currently making as much as most new associates from top schools, but don't want to be subject to that lifestyle at a more advanced age.

Another of my motivations for applying is that I think I'd actually really enjoy law school, but my main concern is the financial impediment.


Troll.


I'm not sure there's any need for name calling and inflammatory comments. Believe me, I have better things to do with my time than trolling message boards. I mentioned hedge funds since I've dealt with asset management firms quite a bit both on the sell-side (when I was at a bank) and in my current work. I used to do due diligence visits with fund managers, and noticed there were a number of senior staff with JDs. I'm also a CFA level 3 candidate, and I'm pretty sure anyone familiar with asset management would know what that means.

Anyway, my LSAT score is over 3 years old (I actually mailed in a job acceptance about 10 minutes before my score came through to my email), so I would have at most two cycles left to apply, possibly one. I'm not hell-bent on applying, but I do want to investigate my options before my score expires, particularly since it's such a major undertaking.

I'm not interested in MBB or management consulting in general, particularly after 3 years in law school. My inclination is towards a job in the finance industry where I could draw upon both my prior industry experience and legal background - so an in-house general counsel-track job would be ideal, but from what I'm gathering it seems like supply of such jobs is fairly low, and I would need actual "firm" experience before getting into that. I also wouldn't mind having a "terminal" degree that I could eventually teach with, considering that was my original goal (I left my PhD program a few years back).

I really appreciate all the (serious) replies, you guys are a very helpful resource.


It sounds like a law degree would lead you to great places...in years 4-oo after graduation. It's tough to see how you could do what you want to do immediately after graduation.

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby Balthy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Dany wrote:
TripTrip wrote:If you're already making $160k, why would you go to law school?



And it ain't even about the dough. It's about gettin down for what you stand for yo.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Curious about full scholarships to Top 10 programs

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Your experience will help you land a job at a large law firm for which you'd be suited for an in-house or fund position in 3-4 years if you target the right firms/practice groups. FWIW I was given $75,000 at CLS with almost identical numbers and this was back in 08-09 cycle which might have been the most competitive ever.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest