Electronic Letters of Recommendation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
StillIll

Electronic Letters of Recommendation

Postby StillIll » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi all,

Sorry for peppering the forum every few days with my random questions. I actually tried to call the LSAC today to answer this question for me but they were closed today for some reason... my phone reception was breaking up when the message said what the reason was.

Now for the question. Do electronically submitted LoR's get instantly uploaded onto your CAS once the professor submits it? Or is there a week(+) long waiting period as when the LoR is mailed in? I actually asked the LSAC this question once before and the lady I was speaking with indicated that they were instantly uploaded, but I'm still skeptical and was hoping someone here could speak from experience.

I've also been reading that faxing them in updates them instantly... is this the case?

Thanks all, I hope everyone is having luck in their continuing quests for admissions and law school and etc.

megagnarley

Re: Electronic Letters of Recommendation

Postby megagnarley » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:13 pm

I had a recommender send one in this morning electronically and it's already on file.

Edit: spellz

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Oh lord that's good news. Finally a break in this byzantine process

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:43 pm

Dude, I was pestering a recommender for months to mail in the letter and he finally did so on Dec. 19.
On Jan. 9th I'm freaking out that the LSAC hasn't received it yet and I haven't sent out any apps. I call him and ask if he can email it also just because I'm paranoid, he says sure and emails it that minute. It's uploaded almost instantly and I send out apps that night.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:03 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Dude, I was pestering a recommender for months to mail in the letter and he finally did so on Dec. 19.
On Jan. 9th I'm freaking out that the LSAC hasn't received it yet and I haven't sent out any apps. I call him and ask if he can email it also just because I'm paranoid, he says sure and emails it that minute. It's uploaded almost instantly and I send out apps that night.

Haha wow. That's hilarious. I feel like this is crucial information that is either not made explicitly clear or I'm totally blind.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Dude, I was pestering a recommender for months to mail in the letter and he finally did so on Dec. 19.

I feel your pain. I asked one of my recommenders to write his letter back in mid-October and followed up every so often just to make sure he didn't forget. I explicitly told him to submit it electronically because I know how long it takes for snail mail to arrive at LSAC headquarters. He ended up finishing the letter on Jan. 8 and sending it the next day IN THE MAIL since he couldn't get it to go through electronically. Ugh. I still haven't received a notification that LSAC received it.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:46 pm

StillIll wrote:

Haha wow. That's hilarious. I feel like this is crucial information that is either not made explicitly clear or I'm totally blind.

I didn't know it'd be that easy either or I would have told him to do it weeks ago. Yeah, more people should def know that email is the best option by far.

B90

Postby B90 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
StillIll wrote:

I didn't know it'd be that easy either or I would have told him to do it weeks ago. Yeah, more people should def know that email is the best option by far.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first year it has been offered. I had my first LOR processed last October (2011), and it wasn't an option then.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:30 pm

B90 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
StillIll wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first year it has been offered. I had my first LOR processed last October (2011), and it wasn't an option then.

This is the first year it was an option and it didn't even exist until around November this year (iirc).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”