FAFSA (NOW WITH PICTURES!)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sinfiery

Re: FAFSA (NOW WITH PICTURES!)

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:32 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:It says that "in order to confirm your grant, you must establish financial need." This is what I'm really questioning. Can one expect to actually receive this grant for all three years, assuming they fill out the FAFSA?

I think you can expect to.

As said, call the admissions office and ask them what the criteria for "establish a financial need" equates to. For the FAFSA, it goes off of Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and if they fall under a certain number, they probably qualify.

This number is usually easy to calculate and consistent year after year. Especially if said person doesn't get a job during LS. Not sure how a summer job changes it.

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:37 am

sinfiery wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:It says that "in order to confirm your grant, you must establish financial need." This is what I'm really questioning. Can one expect to actually receive this grant for all three years, assuming they fill out the FAFSA?

I think you can expect to.

As said, call the admissions office and ask them what the criteria for "establish a financial need" equates to. For the FAFSA, it goes off of Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and if they fall under a certain number, they probably qualify.

This number is usually easy to calculate and consistent year after year. Especially if said person doesn't get a job during LS. Not sure how a summer job changes it.

I see. Okay. Thank you for the information.

manofjustice

Re: FAFSA

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:39 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:The timeline seems odd. I had to fill out FAFSA and NeedAccess for Northwestern to consider ANY aid. My scholarship renews each year, but I'll still have to fill out FAFSA to get it and my loans.

Here is what it says.

What does this even mean? lol It seems like a scam to get you into their school for the first year only to have a non-renewable "grant."

Is this Gtown?

Probably for a bunch of institutional reasons, some "scholarships" are given as need-based grants. Typically, you have to reapply for such grants each year. Usually, you're not denied, if you were approved 1L. But, if you SA and make dope, you could be.

dowu

Re: FAFSA

Postby dowu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:42 am

manofjustice wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:The timeline seems odd. I had to fill out FAFSA and NeedAccess for Northwestern to consider ANY aid. My scholarship renews each year, but I'll still have to fill out FAFSA to get it and my loans.

Here is what it says.

What does this even mean? lol It seems like a scam to get you into their school for the first year only to have a non-renewable "grant."

Is this Gtown?

Probably for a bunch of institutional reasons, some "scholarships" are given as need-based grants. Typically, you have to reapply for such grants each year. Usually, you're not denied, if you were approved 1L. But, if you SA and make dope, you could be.

Nah, it's not Gtown. It's a TT school (think 60-70). It's also on the west coast.

Anywho, the school still isn't worth it (in terms of cost).

B90

Postby B90 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:37 am

Here is my take: this letter is unusual for a law school to send. It sounds like it came from a UG. It most likely did. Whoever sent it probably based it on letters he or she had seen or sent when he or she worked at a UG. While this is abnormal, it is not necessarily unethical or "sketchy".
It is entirely possible that this law school received some scholarship/financial assistance money that was earmarked to be given to a student or students "in need". Normally, a law school would refer to this as a scholarship rather than a grant. However, it is just a different term. The word scholarship does imply that it is merit based (and perhaps has stips). Perhaps they chose the word grant to avoid that connotation.
tl;dr this is unusual, not sketchy.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”