FAFSA (NOW WITH PICTURES!)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dowu

FAFSA (NOW WITH PICTURES!)

Postby dowu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:59 pm

Does FAFSA work for LS admissions in the same way it works for UG?

Is there a maximum amount one can receive for LS through grants?

TYIA.
Last edited by dowu on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Re: FAFSA

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:03 pm

lol grants.

AFAIK, it's loans only for law school from the Feds. (And non-subsidized loans, too.)

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:05 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:Does FAFSA work for LS admissions in the same way it works for UG?

TYIA.

Very few schools give true need based grants. Often they give you a merit grant and call it need based, but you know it was merit based because of your numbers.

But as far as a maximum amount of scholarship, some schools give full merit scholarships.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:08 pm

cinephile wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:Does FAFSA work for LS admissions in the same way it works for UG?

TYIA.

Very few schools give true need based grants. Often they give you a merit grant and call it need based, but you know it was merit based because of your numbers.

But as far as a maximum amount of scholarship, some schools give full merit scholarships.
Oh yeah, this.

I was just considering Pell Grants, which are decided through FAFSA (and not given for law school AFAIK). School grants are a different animal.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
cinephile wrote:

TYIA.

Oh yeah, this.

I was just considering Pell Grants, which are decided through FAFSA (and not given for law school AFAIK). School grants are a different animal.

Pretty sure Pell Grants are only for Undergrad. I could, and would love to be, wrong.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:13 pm

I've never heard of anyone getting Pell Grants for law school. Your best options are through school provided scholarships.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:46 pm

cinephile wrote:I've never heard of anyone getting Pell Grants for law school. Your best options are through school provided scholarships.

The reason I'm asking is because a friend of mine received a 25k "grant" for the first year and was told to fill out a Fafsa in order to establish need for said grant for the remaining two years. Sounds sketchy.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:57 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
cinephile wrote:I've never heard of anyone getting Pell Grants for law school. Your best options are through school provided scholarships.

The reason I'm asking is because a friend of mine received a 25k "grant" for the first year and was told to fill out a Fafsa in order to establish need for said grant for the remaining two years. Sounds sketchy.

I dont think there is anything sketch about it as long as he is filling it out through the official FAFSA website. The only people who get the information filled out there are those who handle the financial aid at your school.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:01 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:

Maybe it was a need based scholarship from the school? 25k for a pell grant is a lot, the max amount per year is $5,500 and it's only for undergrads.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/types/grants-scholarships/pell

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:44 pm

cinephile wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:

Maybe it was a need based scholarship from the school? 25k for a pell grant is a lot, the max amount per year is $5,500 and it's only for undergrads.

Lol well we all know FAFSA is legit.

He said it was from the school and automatically given to him for the first year, but that in order to continue receiving it for the remaining two years, he needed to establish a financial need for it through FAFSA.

Has anyone else ever had this type of offer?

B90

Postby B90 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:01 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
cinephile wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:

He said it was from the school and automatically given to him for the first year, but that in order to continue receiving it for the remaining two years, he needed to establish a financial need for it through FAFSA.

This sounds like a weird policy that some administrator decided was a good idea. However it sounds "legit" in the sense that I can see a school asking for some sort of documentation of need. Perhaps they decided FAFSA info. would be sufficient, and decided not to make their students go through the standard process from hell that is also known as Need Access.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:06 pm

I see. I just don't understand how he can establish need. What does it normally take to do so? The dude made 45k last year. No way he will be able to establish need, right?

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:52 pm

At UPenn you cant qualify for their Need Based Scholarships/Grants unless you both register through there online application process as well as FAFSA's. Don't know why but for 25k a year I would gladly fill out applications all day.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:55 pm

for the school code, do i just put in the undergraduate institute of the law school down? Because I can't seem to find the FAFSA code for the law school.

B90

Postby B90 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:02 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:I see. I just don't understand how he can establish need. What does it normally take to do so? The dude made 45k last year. No way he will be able to establish need, right?

It depends on what the cutoffs/criteria are. Schools are allowed to establish their own criteria, since it is their money, taken from their scholarship fund.
Like every other school-specific financial aid question, the only way to get an accurate answer is to ask/email that school's financial aid department.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:51 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
cinephile wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:

The timeline seems odd. I had to fill out FAFSA and NeedAccess for Northwestern to consider ANY aid. My scholarship renews each year, but I'll still have to fill out FAFSA to get it and my loans.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:The timeline seems odd. I had to fill out FAFSA and NeedAccess for Northwestern to consider ANY aid. My scholarship renews each year, but I'll still have to fill out FAFSA to get it and my loans.

Here is what it says.

What does this even mean? lol It seems like a scam to get you into their school for the first year only to have a non-renewable "grant."

sinfiery

Re: FAFSA (NOW WITH PICTURES!)

Postby sinfiery » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:08 pm

?
That says it is renewable

Seems like a scholarship offer under the guise of a need-based aid since you haven't yet submitted your FAFSA

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:17 pm

sinfiery wrote:Seems like a scholarship offer under the guise of a need-based aid since you haven't yet submitted your FAFSA

+1

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:20 pm

TripTrip wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Seems like a scholarship offer under the guise of a need-based aid since you haven't yet submitted your FAFSA

+1

lol so how does FAFSA play a role in this again? I'm confused. It doesn't say scholarship and others who were admitted to this school said that their's scholarships were explicitly deemed scholarships.

It also says that "in order to confirm your grant, you must establish financial need." This is what I'm really questioning.
Last edited by dowu on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

+1

lol so how does FAFSA play a role in this again? I'm confused. It doesn't say scholarship and others who were admitted to this school said that their's scholarships were explicitly deemed scholarships.

Most (credible) schools wouldn't consider you for need-based aid without the FAFSA, because that determines need.

That, and most (non-HYS) schools don't give out truly need-based scholarships. Instead, they pretend like they're need-based and it just "happens" that everyone who gets them is over the school's LSAT and GPA medians.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:27 pm

TripTrip wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

+1

Most (credible) schools wouldn't consider you for need-based aid without the FAFSA, because that determines need.

That, and most (non-HYS) schools don't give out truly need-based scholarships. Instead, they pretend like they're need-based and it just "happens" that everyone who gets them is over the school's LSAT and GPA medians.

Hmm, well the person who received this is under both medians. BUT they are URM.

This is a Tier 2 school, btw.

It says that "in order to confirm your grant, you must establish financial need." This is what I'm really questioning. Can one expect to actually receive this grant for all three years, assuming they fill out the FAFSA?
Last edited by dowu on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:29 pm

I think some public schools may have certain requirement (or state laws) that would require FAFSA to be filled out. If this is a public school...

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:32 pm

wert3813 wrote:I think some public schools may have certain requirement (or state laws) that would require FAFSA to be filled out. If this is a public school...

Okay, so this is a private school located on the west coast.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:33 pm

The correct answer to all of this, of course, is for your friend to call the Admissions office and ask for clarification.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”