LOCI timing?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gatorgirl2012

LOCI timing?

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:20 am

I got waitlisted at my top choice! It's a bummer but it was a bit of a reach so it's very good news in my book. I sent the application a little over a week ago and I am unsure if I should send a letter of continued interest immediately (today or tomorrow) or wait a few weeks? Other than a small promotion at work, and running my first half marathon, I'm not really anticipating anything stellar in the coming months that I can update them with--not even sure mentioning my race is even appropriate! Advice would be highly appreciated!

Zoomie

Re: LOCI timing?

Postby Zoomie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:15 pm

I was waitlisted at my top choice as well. I am retaking the LSAT. I met with the admissions counselor right after I got my waitlist notification. She told me to wait until after the holidays when the decision makers would be back and fresh from the break. I added some awards I got at work, additional post-bacc classes I'm taking and getting A's in and some volunteer work I did over the holidays plus an international volunteer trip I am taking in June. I'm not sure if it's enough to compete with other waitlisters but I'm hoping my LSAT retake will give me the boost I want.

You didn't say if they told you if they rank waitlists or not? That might help you determine when you send a LOCI.

You also may want to find out if they want you to. Sometimes they say to update them when you have something to tell them. If so, then I would add the half marathon. That takes time and dedication to train for. Good luck! Which one are you running?

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Zoomie wrote:I was waitlisted at my top choice as well. I am retaking the LSAT. I met with the admissions counselor right after I got my waitlist notification. She told me to wait until after the holidays when the decision makers would be back and fresh from the break. I added some awards I got at work, additional post-bacc classes I'm taking and getting A's in and some volunteer work I did over the holidays plus an international volunteer trip I am taking in June. I'm not sure if it's enough to compete with other waitlisters but I'm hoping my LSAT retake will give me the boost I want.

You didn't say if they told you if they rank waitlists or not? That might help you determine when you send a LOCI.

You also may want to find out if they want you to. Sometimes they say to update them when you have something to tell them. If so, then I would add the half marathon. That takes time and dedication to train for. Good luck! Which one are you running?

Thank you for your advice! You have a lot more impressive softs to update your WListing school with!

The e-mail doesn't explicitly mention updating them, but their website does--though there are no actual instructions so I'll have to call regardless. They don't rank, which I think could be in my favor. I figure if I show enough interest through writing and maybe even visiting, that might be more impressive than someone with better numbers but that hasn't stayed in communication. Am I wrong in assuming this? To my understanding, they give WL seats to students they're more sure will take them on the spot. What was your point in asking if this school ranks? Please let me know if I'm wrong or if you see it from a different perspective!

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:49 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:Thank you for your advice! You have a lot more impressive softs to update your WListing school with!

The e-mail doesn't explicitly mention updating them, but their website does--though there are no actual instructions so I'll have to call regardless. They don't rank, which I think could be in my favor. I figure if I show enough interest through writing and maybe even visiting, that might be more impressive than someone with better numbers but that hasn't stayed in communication. Am I wrong in assuming this? To my understanding, they give WL seats to students they're more sure will take them on the spot. What was your point in asking if this school ranks? Please let me know if I'm wrong or if you see it from a different perspective!

I am not sure how the waitlist thing works for sure. The way it was explained to me was that they review all the apps as seats become available for those that don't rank. If they rank, then you would want to make sure you send them a LOCI becuase there may be people that rank higher than you but don't have interest in going. Or if you are ranked higher then you know your shot of getting off the WL is higher. Without a ranking system, you really have no clue. The school I am waitlisted at also doesn't rank. I have kept in contact with the admissions counselor so if this is where you want to go, it can't hurt. If they don't explicitly say not to update them, then go for it!

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:58 pm

I spoke with the office this morning and they welcome updates and stuff. I'm going to be sending in an additional LoR from my employer next month. I'm hoping to strategically submit or have things submitted for me so they can gauge my interest! Also, they don't interview if you visit, but they did say that I could meet with an admissions counselor. Is this code for an interview? lol If you've spoken with a counselor, what is their role?? Just when I thought I knew it all, I got WLed >.< haha

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”