very low (3.0) GPA and 169 LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
meggomyeggo

very low (3.0) GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby meggomyeggo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:23 pm

Alright, I am almost afraid of what you folks may tell me, but here goes.

I got a 169 on the LSAT, and my gpa is pretty low- 3.0 according to LSAC. Its about a 3.4 according to my school, but I failed a class and re-took it, so that brought it down.

I am looking for what y'all may think my chances are. I am not looking for anyone telling me to re-take the LSAT or wait a couple years to apply, because I am already finished applying for this cycle. I finished my apps today, which I know is pretty late in the cycle.

Here is where I have applied:
Boston University, Boston College, Northeastern, Boalt, Hastings, USF, Oregon, Washington, George Washington, Georgetown, and Virginia.

My personal statement is decent but not mindblowing, and I also wrote a Diversity Statement about my experience as a queer woman and its relation to my desire to go into the legal field.

I included an addendum explaining the circumstances of my low GPA. I have a chronic medical condition that gave me a lot of issues my first two years of college, and I ultimately withdrew for a full semester in order to get my health under control, and figure out how to balance my schoolwork. Since then my grades have shown an upward trend, and I have mastered managing my disease and excelling in school.

I have been a policy intern for my local city council for 2 years, and I was also employed 19 hours a week during my sophmore and junior years.

I am not sure if it makes a difference, but I am not seeking any scholarship money and can pay full tuition.

The three Boston schools are where I would really like to end up.

What do you think my chances are like?

Thanks a bunch!

Dmini7

Re: very low (3.0) GPA and 169 LSAT

Postby Dmini7 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:28 pm

meggomyeggo wrote:Alright, I am almost afraid of what you folks may tell me, but here goes.

I got a 169 on the LSAT, and my gpa is pretty low- 3.0 according to LSAC. Its about a 3.4 according to my school, but I failed a class and re-took it, so that brought it down.

I am looking for what y'all may think my chances are. I am not looking for anyone telling me to re-take the LSAT or wait a couple years to apply, because I am already finished applying for this cycle. I finished my apps today, which I know is pretty late in the cycle.

Boston University, Boston College, Northeastern, Boalt, Hastings, USF, Oregon, Washington, George Washington, Georgetown, and Virginia.

My personal statement is decent but not mindblowing, and I also wrote a Diversity Statement about my experience as a queer woman and its relation to my desire to go into the legal field.

I included an addendum explaining the circumstances of my low GPA. I have a chronic medical condition that gave me a lot of issues my first two years of college, and I ultimately withdrew for a full semester in order to get my health under control, and figure out how to balance my schoolwork. Since then my grades have shown an upward trend, and I have mastered managing my disease and excelling in school.

I have been a policy intern for my local city council for 2 years, and I was also employed 19 hours a week during my sophmore and junior years.

I am not sure if it makes a difference, but I am not seeking any scholarship money and can pay full tuition.

Thanks a bunch!

Any work expereince? if so you should add Northwestern to the mix.

http://myLSN.info/0plutv

This seems to suggest that BU and BC are out of the mix, but who knows with this cycle. Boalt is probably a No go, and you may have been better served EDing at UVA, but still chances look slim with a good chance of WL. It looks like you are in from GWU and down in the rankings though(excluding washington). With that said, who knows what will happen in this cycle, So i would be optimistic, a 169 is a great LSAT score and I am sure tons of schools will want it in a down cycle like this.

meggomyeggo

Postby meggomyeggo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
meggomyeggo wrote:Alright, I am almost afraid of what you folks may tell me, but here goes.

Thanks a bunch!

Any work expereince? if so you should add Northwestern to the mix.

http://myLSN.info/0plutv

This seems to suggest that BU and BC are out of the mix, but who knows with this cycle. Boalt is probably a No go, and you may have been better served EDing at UVA, but still chances look slim with a good chance of WL. It looks like you are in from GWU and down in the rankings though(excluding washington). With that said, who knows what will happen in this cycle, So i would be optimistic, a 169 is a great LSAT score and I am sure tons of schools will want it in a down cycle like this.

Hey, thanks, I appreciate your reply. I am coming straight out of undergrad, so aside from my internship and the two years I spent working for my school's athletic department, no true work experience. Even so, I would never survive the winter at Northwestern. I am hoping with this being such a down cycle it works to my advantage. I just am finding it so hard to predict, since my numbers are such opposites. Oh well, fingers crossed! Thanks again.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:47 pm

I am assuming your secondary market choice is San francisco area or the northwest? Do you have ties to either Oregon/Washington? I hear they are pretty tough to get jobs in without ties, not that it should deter you if you are very fond of the areas.

meggomyeggo

Postby meggomyeggo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:53 pm

Dmini7 wrote:I am assuming your secondary market choice is San francisco area or the northwest? Do you have ties to either Oregon/Washington? I hear they are pretty tough to get jobs in without ties, not that it should deter you if you are very fond of the areas.

I go to Berkeley now, and would deff be content to stay here or in SF forever, hence the Boalt application which I know is a pretty big reach. Im not particularly attached to Oregon or Washington, they are just places I can see myself wanting to live (or at least tolerating), so I applied. Good to know about the job market. Thanks.

meggomyeggo

Postby meggomyeggo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:54 pm

If anyone else has an opinion too, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:14 am

Dmini7 wrote:you may have been better served EDing at UVA, but still chances look slim with a good chance of WL.

Last year people were emailing admissions to switch to ED post-application and having success. Is that still a thing? I know Richard just moved there, but I don't know how much things have changed.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:00 am

Last edited by wert3813 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuttlefish

Postby kuttlefish » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:01 pm

FWIW, I have a 169 and a sub 3.0 gpa. I don't have a valid excuse for my GPA, but I have enough post-grad softs/WE to show that I'm more serious now than I used to be.

As for schools we have in common, I got WL'd at GWU, dinged at UVA, and a "borderline" interview at Georgetown. I threw an app at BOALT to see if their wacky and unpredictable admissions process goes my way, but I'm not really expecting anything. I've also received some decent money from the lower T1/T2 regionals, so that LSAT definitely gets you some buying power.

My LSN link is in my profile if you want more info.

Granfalloon12

Postby Granfalloon12 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:24 pm

I have similar stats (a little above a 3.0 and a 168), sorta similar softs (internship at PD office, full-time employment over the past few years, still in undergrad) and am applying this cycle to many of the same schools. I'm in at GW and was offered $$ at Northeastern, still waiting to hear back from BC and BU. From what I've been able to find, chances are very slim at UVA and GT, but a 169 might give you that slight edge that you need (I didn't bother applying because I don't think I'd be able to afford sticker there).
My profile might help a little hopefully, but you're better off scouring mylsn and lsn for similar stats to get a more general picture. Good luck!

penelope1

Postby penelope1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:33 am

169, 3.05
I only applied to Florida schools, UF, FSU, Stetson, Miami
So far have only heard back from Stetson, with a $90,000 schol with top 50% stip.
Your application seems exactly like the kind they hold until late in the cycle to see where the school stands. You may not hear anything from some of those schools until late April....prepare for that. The good news is you won't be rejected early either. With the decline in LSAT takers, the 169 becomes an important number this cycle.
Good luck!

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:51 am

169, 3.17 here. In at GWU, waitlisted at Georgetown and (University of) Washington. I interviewed with a Georgetown alumnus and was placed specifically on the non-priority waitlist, so I almost certainly won't be WL->Accepted there. Possibly at Washington, who knows. I think those are the only schools we've got in common, but I've got some similarly ranked schools on my LSN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nickb285

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”