This Year or Next Year? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WanderingPondering

Bronze

This Year or Next Year?

Post by WanderingPondering » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:04 pm

Is there any reason not to delay attending law school next year instead of this year? I am traveling at the moment, and really would like to stay and experience more before hitting the law school grind.

I have a year of solid work experience, and would be 24 if I started school in the fall, 25 if I started next year. I was thinking I'd return home for a few months, retake the lsat and then head out of the country again. Bad idea? Is 25 too late, considering I'd have a 2 year gap on the resume of nothing but travel and working odd jobs?

I've gotten into some solid T25 schools, but not close to T14. Will next years cycle be easier+ the chance of better numbers worth it?

Sorry if this isn't coherent, a lot of humble going on in my brain.

TripTrip

Gold

Re: This Year or Next Year?

Post by TripTrip » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:09 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:Is there any reason not to delay attending law school next year instead of this year?
Yes, there is any reason not to like as such the year after the year before two years from last year instead.

If you're asking what I think you meant to ask; there's nothing wrong with taking a year off and retaking the LSAT. Traveling is an awesome idea. An extra point or two on the LSAT would help you more than the down admissions cycle even if it picked back up next year for some reason.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Safe bet is that next year will not be more competitive than this year. I think the turnaround will be slower than that. I personally would wait a year and retake.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:21 pm

You already have a 1-year gap of odd jobs/traveling. I don't think any negative effects suffered by extending that to a 2-year gap will outweigh the possible benefit gained from retaking. Nothing's guaranteed, but if you think you can get a 3-4 point increase, I think it's worth it.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:48 am

Thanks guys...tough decision here. Is the difference between uva/gulu that great over BC/gw/Fordham? I have pretty lousy GPA, so the top schools are all out of play in any case.

I'm also worried I'm never going to stop traveling if I keep it up for a second year. As you know, its addicting and hard to stop once you get going.

There's also nothing wrong with starting law school at 25? It seems old to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:30 am

Not at all. It varies from school to school, but many places draw a fairly equal number of students from the u22, 23-24, and 25-29 groups, with a handful of 30+ to round out the class. I don't think most schools pay a lot of attention to age, as long as you can explain any gaps.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:44 am

WanderingPondering wrote:There's also nothing wrong with starting law school at 25? It seems old to me.
That doesn't even count as non-traditional.

Go have a gander at the "old-school" applicants thread. Oh wait, you're not allowed because you're way too young.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”