Worth writing an addendum for?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RhymesLikeDimes

Worth writing an addendum for?

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:21 pm

Last edited by RhymesLikeDimes on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unoriginalist

Re: Worth writing an addendum for?

Postby Unoriginalist » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:35 pm

I don't know about an addendum, primarily because your GPA was never "bad" and I'm not sure how saying you lived with 3 brothers would fly. That being said, with what limited knowledge you provided about you background, it could possibly make an interesting diversity statement, or be a part of your personal statement. It seems to me you've come from a tougher/interesting background and have worked hard to make something of yourself, I don't think an addendum is necessary, but I don't think that's something to be ignored, either.

Perhaps someone else can provide some more perspective, but that was my initial reaction, at least.

dan k

Postby dan k » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:02 am

ya I think you could write pretty much a version of that and title it "diversity statement" rather than addendum. it would get across the same point without coming off as "whiny"

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:06 am

Last edited by wert3813 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:23 am

Gotcha, thank you. I didn't realize socio-economic status could be the subject of a diversity letter

B90

Postby B90 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:56 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Gotcha, thank you. I didn't realize socio-economic status could be the subject of a diversity letter

A diversity statement is a one page or less statement where you describe how you would add to the diversity of a law school class. Any traits that you have which are rare could be the subject of such a statement. Obviously, you want to choose something that makes you look appealing. Talking about your rusty paper clip collection would show diversity, but would not likely present you in a good light. Talking about how you grew up in a trailer park and WHAT YOU LEARNED FROM THIS EXPERIENCE will make you appealing. The point is to show how you would add to your law school class.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:32 pm

B90 wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Gotcha, thank you. I didn't realize socio-economic status could be the subject of a diversity letter

A diversity statement is a one page or less statement where you describe how you would add to the diversity of a law school class. Any traits that you have which are rare could be the subject of such a statement. Obviously, you want to choose something that makes you look appealing. Talking about your rusty paper clip collection would show diversity, but would not likely present you in a good light. Talking about how you grew up in a trailer park and WHAT YOU LEARNED FROM THIS EXPERIENCE will make you appealing. The point is to show how you would add to your law school class.

This. But you can get away with 1.5 pages if you have enough to say to fill them out, which it sounds like you do. Just make sure it's shorter than your personal statement.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”