Wrong Word

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
simplycatalina

Wrong Word

Postby simplycatalina » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:17 pm

I just realized that the personal statement I submitted has the wrong word in one place, it says "she was always willing" instead of "she was always welcome" and now I'm freaking out. I had like 5 people read through it before I submitted it and no one noticed, but I'm worried that I'm now completely screwed. How bad will this hurt me? :(

JXander

Re: Wrong Word

Postby JXander » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:26 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:I just realized that the personal statement I submitted has the wrong word in one place, it says "she was always willing" instead of "she was always welcome" and now I'm freaking out. I had like 5 people read through it before I submitted it and no one noticed, but I'm worried that I'm now completely screwed. How bad will this hurt me? :(

What is the full sentence?

dowu

Postby dowu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:27 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:I just realized that the personal statement I submitted has the wrong word in one place, it says "she was always willing" instead of "she was always welcome" and now I'm freaking out. I had like 5 people read through it before I submitted it and no one noticed, but I'm worried that I'm now completely screwed. How bad will this hurt me? :(

It most likely won't hurt you. I had an entirely different school on my personal statement and still was accepted to the schools I applied to.

Relax. You are fine.

exitoptions

Postby exitoptions » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:30 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:

It most likely won't hurt you. I had an entirely different school on my personal statement and still was accepted to the schools I applied to.

Relax. You are fine.

No one reads you personal statement. It is busy work,but get used to it, most of law practice is busy work too.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:31 pm

JXander wrote:

"I explained to her that her thoughts in her journal were private, but that she was always willing to talk to me about anything." Obviously it should say welcome. I don't know how I missed it. :(

dowu

Postby dowu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:31 pm

exitoptions wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:

Relax. You are fine.

No one reads you personal statement. It is busy work,but get used to it, most of law practice is busy work too.

I bet they read it. But I also bet they can care less unless its something amazing/different.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:36 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
JXander wrote:

"I explained to her that her thoughts in her journal were private, but that she was always willing to talk to me about anything." Obviously it should say welcome. I don't know how I missed it. :(

Don't stress, a mistake that small is not worth worrying about now.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:38 pm

Pffst, I had a blatent type in my resume and still got hired for a job where a typo can cost the client millions of dollars -- people suck at their jobs (thank God) so don't worry.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:44 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:
JXander wrote:

Don't stress, a mistake that small is not worth worrying about now.

Ok thank you all. I'll just hope they don't notice it. Nothing I can do now.

JXander

Postby JXander » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:49 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
JXander wrote:

You should be okay. Don't worry.

I had to read it twice to catch the error. Also, if your PS is captivating in its story (as it should be), then that will outweigh a minor error like this one. You would only have to worry if you did this multiple times.

Good luck!

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:22 pm

JXander wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:
JXander wrote:

You should be okay. Don't worry.

I had to read it twice to catch the error. Also, if your PS is captivating in its story (as it should be), then that will outweigh a minor error like this one. You would only have to worry if you did this multiple times.

Good luck!

Thanks!--I'm glad that it's at least not glaringly noticeable. Hopefully they'll just skim over it. And it's for sure the only mistake. I've only submitted half of my apps so I'll make sure it's fixed for the others.

Skye

Postby Skye » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:58 pm

It is possible that "willing" might actually be a better word! Unwilling, that would be a different story! :)

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:50 am

Should I call the admissions offices to tell them about the issue? Or should I just act like everything is okay?

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:58 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:Should I call the admissions offices to tell them about the issue? Or should I just act like everything is okay?

act like your ok you dont want to point out a mistake they probably overlooked or dont care about

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:59 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:Should I call the admissions offices to tell them about the issue? Or should I just act like everything is okay?

Let's think through this:

ABC Law School Admissions Office
Hi I'm blank and my LSAT number is blank
Okay what can I do for you?
I was obsessively rereading of my PS and I found a typo. I'm so sorry. Can I fix it?
Ugh are you already under review?
No.
Umm email us an updated copy and we will try to get it in your file.
OMG thank you so much.

You now have to nearly identical PS in your file therefore making sure they know that something was wrong the first time. Just let it roll.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:07 am

wert3813 wrote:

Let's think through this:

ABC Law School Admissions Office
Hi I'm blank and my LSAT number is blank
Okay what can I do for you?
I was obsessively rereading of my PS and I found a typo. I'm so sorry. Can I fix it?
Ugh are you already under review?
No.
Umm email us an updated copy and we will try to get it in your file.
OMG thank you so much.

You now have to nearly identical PS in your file therefore making sure they know that something was wrong the first time. Just let it roll.

Haha, ok I won't do anything. I just became super stressed after I noticed it because I told myself I'd never make a typo. I know I should be logical, I'm just a perfectionist and it's irritating me.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:23 am

I had several typos and formatting errors (PS) and it didn't matter much. Yours is not that significant and will likely be overlooked.

epiphinous7

Postby epiphinous7 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:46 am

You're probably screwed. Adcomms deduct a point for every mistake and typo from you original LSAT Score. And they take whoever has the most LSAT Points left after reviewing all the apps as their admits....
Or they dont care, wont notice probably. And you should relax b/c it wont make a difference.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”