Christmas break is over, why are we still waiting? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
manofjustice

Silver

Re: Christmas break is over, why are we still waiting?

Post by manofjustice » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:16 am

Steve2207 wrote:
WanderingPondering wrote:Maybe OP should retake and score higher if he wants quicker decisions.
As I stated earlier, they have not even looked at the application yet, and therefore, have not given much thought to my score yet. Obviously, my opinion that it is improper for schools to encourage students to apply very early and then just set the application aside without looking at it, is not one that many agree with on here so I will let it go.
You have no idea whether they have or have not "looked at" your application.

You do realize how insane your argument is? What if we made it stronger. You came in and said: "they didn't even look at my application! The admission's office told me that they just made offers to the top applications, never got to mine, and then when they filled their class, they took my application and threw it out--didn't even look at it!"...that would be "stronger," right? Let's say they kept you on the hook untill the bitter end, which comes many months from now.

We would say "score higher on the LSAT." Above poster has credited response. Nothing is owed to you.

If you think the wait is too long, withdraw and go to your second choice. Literally no one would care.

MapsMapsMaps

New

Post by MapsMapsMaps » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:16 am

Came into this thread assuming you meant 1L grades. Became confused as fuck when I realized you meant admission decisions. I didnt get most of my decisions until March. Chill the fuck out. Life is full of waiting. Get used to it.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:17 am

rouser wrote:email them to let them know
Ya. This is credited too. We just didn't want to tell you because you sounded so entitled. But if you ask for a quicker response, you'll probably get a quicker response.

When you ask, though, I'd ask nicely.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:29 am

Steve2207 wrote:
WanderingPondering wrote:Maybe OP should retake and score higher if he wants quicker decisions.
As I stated earlier, they have not even looked at the application yet, and therefore, have not given much thought to my score yet. Obviously, my opinion that it is improper for schools to encourage students to apply very early and then just set the application aside without looking at it, is not one that many agree with on here so I will let it go.
Ok, that's not true. Apparently, they know right away what your scores are (LSAC), and if the score is high enough, they look at it first (there are adcoms on this board who've said as much). Beyond that, the (non-cynical) reason schools encourage students to apply early is because if they like a candidate's application, they'll admit him/her right then and there, so there are more spots (and money) available early on in the cycle, and by that same logic, there's less room for a school to maneuver (e.g. if you're a borderline candidate that the adcoms really like) late in the game.

Another thing to consider is that they might look at your file and decide not to make a decision yet (i.e. neither reject nor deny), and put you back on the pile. Later on in the cycle, when they have either gotten their medians and can accept weaker candidates, or not gotten their medians and can't look beyond scores, they then read your file again and base a decision on their new position

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:52 am

I paid 52K and my grades aren't even out yet. What's your dream school and second choice?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:04 am

Also, Christmas break isn't over yet at all schools. Some of us return after MLK day.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:22 am

Steve2207 wrote: I am certainly entitled to a decision. I think it is pretty rude of the schools to tell everyone to apply early and then not even look at the application for 2 months, (and yes, my status checker shows that it is not even being reviewed yet). When you have a family to relocate, like me, it is a bit annoying standing by for months as a school takes it sweet time to review something that may affect the lives of your family! Of course, if the decision is taking some time, then that’s a different story, but they could at least update the status checker to reflect that.
Obviously, my opinion that it is improper for schools to encourage students to apply very early and then just set the application aside without looking at it, is not one that many agree with on here so I will let it go.
Everyone here tells people to apply early because it improves your chances of getting money. Schools technically just tell people they have to apply by the final deadline.

Besides, maybe they're still reviewing everyone who applied EVEN EARLIER than you did...

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:00 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Besides, maybe they're still reviewing everyone who applied EVEN EARLIER than you did...
This x 1000.

I applied September of 2011 and my application is STILL "under review" at NYU. Be patient OP.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:24 am

ITT: OP wants what he wants and he wants it now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ncc5

New

Post by ncc5 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:32 am

If I am waiting till May for my decisions I will cry

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:37 am

TripTrip wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Besides, maybe they're still reviewing everyone who applied EVEN EARLIER than you did...
This x 1000.

I applied September of 2011 and my application is STILL "under review" at NYU. Be patient OP.
So, it sounds like NYU never gave you a decision. What is ironic if you applied now with those same numbers they would probably soil themselves and auto admit you. I was going to be K-JD in 2009, but work got in the way. Boy, how the tables have turned in law school admissions. It is luck more than anything that I get to apply when applications are down across the board.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:43 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
This x 1000.

So, it sounds like NYU never gave you a decision. What is ironic if you applied now with those same numbers they would probably soil themselves and auto admit you. I was going to be K-JD in 2009, but work got in the way. Boy, how the tables have turned in law school admissions. It is luck more than anything that I get to apply when applications are down across the board.
Oh nevermind-- I just checked your profile-- you are applying this cycle. You are just fucking with him. But what you said could have been true.

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:16 am

dingbat wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:Alright, holiday season is over and I am still waiting for 2 admission decisions, and I have noticed on LSN that lots of other people are still waiting as well. How long until schools start getting serious again about this admission cycle?
Chill. I got my last regular decision in May last year and someone I know got in off the waitlist in august
I really, really do not want either of those scenarios to be me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:18 pm

I have a family too and would love to have all my final decisions now for planning purposes but that is not the reality of law school admissions so I just deal with it. It's also first world problems so who cares.

Also, retake.

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:48 pm

OP, you should write them an email demanding they provide you a response within a certain time-frame or else you will withdraw. After all, YOU ARE A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE, and who the fuck are they to make you wait? I think they will value your candor and assertiveness and throw some big schollies your way. Go for it, OP.

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:14 pm

flame

Aroldis105

Bronze

Post by Aroldis105 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:46 am

Why does everyone on these forums feel the need to be so confrontational and rude. Now if the OP was some spoiled rich kid waiting for daddy to buy him ice-cream then I would understand the frustration. Alas, that is not the case. He is a family man who is simply frustrated with the process. He decides to let off some steam and seek some reassurance from his colleagues and everyone uses it as an opportunity to stand behind their wicked cool online avatar and insult him?
I understand that the world isn't fair and that the legal profession can be particularly cruel and cold, but remember that both of these things are a sum of their parts, a product of our own decisions. Every time you log on to these forums you have three options. The first is the easiest, simply read the information and use it as you will. The second requires you to provide valuable and relevant feedback in the hope that it may help yourself or others. The third, which unfortunately has become far too common, is to go out of your way to write some snide remark or rude comment to a well-meaning person.
My apologies if it sounds like I just hit the peace pipe and want to sing Kumbaya with everyone, but I think some people have watched a few too many TV courtroom dramas and assume being an asshole is a vital asset in any attorney's repertoire.
I close with the wise words of Player/Manager/Owner Jackie Moon:
"Everybody Love Everybody"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:54 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:
TripTrip wrote: This x 1000.

Oh nevermind-- I just checked your profile-- you are applying this cycle. You are just fucking with him. But what you said could have been true.
Haha yeah. I know I'll probably be an auto-admit, but I can't help but poke fun of NYU's "under review" indefinite status check.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:55 am

You're asking why a forum full of people who are in or want to be in the legal profession, which in this country runs on an adversarial system, get confrontational. Think about that.

Aroldis105

Bronze

Post by Aroldis105 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:07 am

UnamSanctam wrote:You're asking why a forum full of people who are in or want to be in the legal profession, which in this country runs on an adversarial system, get confrontational. Think about that.
Does a boxer go home and beat his wife? Fight for your clients tooth and nail, but if you're going to lose all sense of civility to pursue a profession then you need to find another job.

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:29 am

UnamSanctam wrote:lose all sense of civility to pursue a profession
TFM

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:34 am

LeDique wrote:Holy shit, could you sound more entitled?

Back off GDI

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:39 am

I bet a lot of the T-14 push back application deadlines and/or accept February or even June LSAT scores. Columbia claims to not accept the February LSAT. I think they might change their tone of voice this cycle.

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:42 am

Steve2207 wrote:Instead of a ski trip, I’ve got one better. I am going to tour my second choice this coming Friday and sit in on a class. Afterward, my family and I are going to spend the weekend in a hotel, and get a feel for the area. They accepted me 12 days after I applied and even offered a decent scholarship (despite me being below their median LSAT). I am sure my top pick doesn’t give a shit but they may have just lost a potential student due to their delay.
Is it a real scholarship or one of those performance-based ones that require you to do much better than you're doing?

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:48 am

Ok, I haven’t looked at this thread in awhile, and as for onion’s question yes it’s a real scholarship at my number 2 pick. In fact, they recently sent me a letter informing me that I no longer need to be concerned with the 2.8 GPA stipulation that they had originally offered. My scholarship is guaranteed for all 3 years so long as I am a full time student, which is awesome (worst case scenario, I am definitely going to law school in the fall at 14k a year). On top of that, I did visit the school recently and really liked it; I can realistic see myself being happy there.

However, my real question is this; I just noticed that my number 1 pick FINALLY updated my status checker from “file complete” to “in review” today, which is a Sunday. My question is, firstly, is it likely that since it was updated on a Sunday that it really started being reviewed today, or is it more likely a decision has already been made. Secondly, if a decision is not likely to have been made, how likely is it that they will have one by the end of this coming week?

As a side comment in regard to some of the conversation on this thread, I can certainly understand why people seem a little bitter about things on this site at times. Honestly, all of us here at TLS have experienced or at least witnessed some shitty attitudes, and IMO it comes from the high amount of stress that comes with law school admission/ law school experiences/ legal careers. Like some, I always try to be polite myself, but it is not always easy. Those with thin skin should reconsider being active here at TLS, and I think we all are aware of that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”