Does everyone on this forum recommend max number of retakes?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Does everyone on this forum recommend max number of retakes?

Postby itachiuchiha » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:33 pm

If one has a GPA in the 3.8-4.0 range, does almost everyone on these boards suggest the max amount of retakes?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Does everyone on this forum recommend max number of retakes?

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:34 pm

At any GPA, you should retake until getting a higher score will have little to no benefit to you. For pretty much all GPAs this is probably somewhere around 172.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Does everyone on this forum recommend max number of retakes?

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:44 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:If one has a GPA in the 3.8-4.0 range, does almost everyone on these boards suggest the max amount of retakes?

It depends on what score you're getting. If it's under 173, then yes. Retake to break both medians.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Does everyone on this forum recommend max number of retakes?

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:49 pm

TripTrip wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:If one has a GPA in the 3.8-4.0 range, does almost everyone on these boards suggest the max amount of retakes?

It depends on what score you're getting. If it's under 173, then yes. Retake to break both medians.

LOL should I retake my 172? (thought about it)

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Does everyone on this forum recommend max number of retakes?

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:52 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:If one has a GPA in the 3.8-4.0 range, does almost everyone on these boards suggest the max amount of retakes?

It depends on what score you're getting. If it's under 173, then yes. Retake to break both medians.

LOL should I retake my 172? (thought about it)

I'd consider it, especially if you don't get in where you want this cycle. --LinkRemoved--

Nevermind, just saw you have a 3.5. Then I wouldn't retake. The rational for a 4.0 to retake is that a 172 is splitting across the medians in the wrong way at Harvard, Yale, and Columbia. A 173 or 174 would alleviate that problem.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Does everyone on this forum recommend max number of retakes?

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:11 pm

TripTrip wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:If one has a GPA in the 3.8-4.0 range, does almost everyone on these boards suggest the max amount of retakes?

It depends on what score you're getting. If it's under 173, then yes. Retake to break both medians.

LOL should I retake my 172? (thought about it)

I'd consider it, especially if you don't get in where you want this cycle. --LinkRemoved--

Nevermind, just saw you have a 3.5. Then I wouldn't retake. The rational for a 4.0 to retake is that a 172 is splitting across the medians in the wrong way at Harvard, Yale, and Columbia. A 173 or 174 would alleviate that problem.

I have lower than a 3.5, which makes me even more tempted to try to get like a 174+ but I'm already at or above median for almost everywhere so whatever.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Does everyone on this forum recommend max number of retakes?

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:12 pm

That google thing just blew my mind BTW

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Does everyone on this forum recommend max number of retakes?

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:12 pm

TripTrip wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:If one has a GPA in the 3.8-4.0 range, does almost everyone on these boards suggest the max amount of retakes?

It depends on what score you're getting. If it's under 173, then yes. Retake to break both medians.

LOL should I retake my 172? (thought about it)

I'd consider it, especially if you don't get in where you want this cycle. --LinkRemoved--

Nevermind, just saw you have a 3.5. Then I wouldn't retake. The rational for a 4.0 to retake is that a 172 is splitting across the medians in the wrong way at Harvard, Yale, and Columbia. A 173 or 174 would alleviate that problem.


A 175+ score does seem to make a genuine difference in admissions chance and scholly money at CCN.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Does everyone on this forum recommend max number of retakes?

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Yeah, but it would take a lot of coaxing to get me to retake a 172 if I had a 3.5.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Does everyone on this forum recommend max number of retakes?

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:17 pm

TripTrip wrote:Yeah, but it would take a lot of coaxing to get me to retake a 172 if I had a 3.5.


I agree. Once you crack the 170s the margin for improvement is so slim that retaking doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Does everyone on this forum recommend max number of retakes?

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:20 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:A 175+ score does seem to make a genuine difference in admissions chance and scholly money at CCN.

Ugh. I know. Maybe I will decide to retake for the third time and reapply for the third time. Could pay off!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], hwwong, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests