Volunteering/Nonprofit Work vs. Law Firm Internship Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cneu333

New

Volunteering/Nonprofit Work vs. Law Firm Internship

Post by cneu333 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm one year out of college, and the only work experience I've had since graduating from college is several months of full-time work as an office assistant at a manufacturing company. Currently I am unemployed. My resume is not impressive, and I was wondering which would look better on my resume for law schools: doing volunteer activities and interning at a nonprofit lawyers' organization for public interest and human rights, or interning at a law firm.

I would personally enjoy doing volunteer activities and interning at the nonprofit lawyers' organization a lot more than interning full time at a law firm. But if I intern at the nonprofit lawyers' organization I applied for, I just need to go to work two times a week, and I'm wondering if this won't look as good on the resume as a full-time internship at a law firm.

And if I'm not selected for the nonprofit lawyers' organization internship (I had my interview a few days ago and the result isn't out yet), I want to do full-time volunteering for the disabled and eldery and work part time during the weekends while studying for the LSAT, but I'm worried that not having work/internship experience in a field related to law will be a minus for my app.

Any feedback or ideas would be much appreciated!
Last edited by cneu333 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TripTrip

Gold

Re: Volunteering/Nonprofit Work vs. Law Firm Internship

Post by TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:16 pm

As long as you're doing something, it doesn't matter. Both of those options are great. Volunteering is probably better.
cneu333 wrote:studying for the LSAT
That's the most important thing you'll be doing. One point on the LSAT outweighs both a year of full-time work experience as an intern at a law office and spending a year rescuing starving orphans from a volcano in east Asia.
cneu333 wrote:I'm worried that not having work/internship experience in a field related to law will be a minus for my app.
lol. No.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Volunteering will probably add to your sum total of karma points.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:21 pm

TheThriller wrote:Volunteering will probably add to your sum total of karma points.
Yeah you'd probably get at least 3 or 4. Once you have 1000 karma points, you might be able to trade them in to Noodley for 1 LSAT point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”