Question about applying in January

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PRgradBYU

Question about applying in January

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Hey there fellow TLS users. I recently took the December LSAT and performed semi-decently (91st percentile), and then applied to about 20 schools or so between last week and the prior week. I understand that I am probably at a disadvantage for applying so late in the application process, but my October LSAT score wasn't what I wanted it to be, forcing me to re-take it.

For the average law school, how long do you think it will take for them to render a decision on my application? Should I expect to be waiting until mid-March or even April?

TripTrip

Re: Question about applying in January

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:08 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Hey there fellow TLS users. I recently took the December LSAT and performed semi-decently (91st percentile), and then applied to about 20 schools or so between last week and the prior week. I understand that I am probably at a disadvantage for applying so late in the application process, but my October LSAT score wasn't what I wanted it to be, forcing me to re-take it.

For the average law school, how long do you think it will take for them to render a decision on my application? Should I expect to be waiting until mid-March or even April?

You forgot to mention that you are URM. Expect to wait until April.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:23 pm

I didn't think being an URM would make much of a difference with how quick I heard back from schools--it didn't seem relevant. But thanks for the quick response. Wish I could have applied sooner!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:59 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:I didn't think being an URM would make much of a difference with how quick I heard back from schools--it didn't seem relevant. But thanks for the quick response. Wish I could have applied sooner!

No - it's April BECAUSE you are URM. Basically, your URM bonus kicks in most when the AdComm gets a look at the class as a whole and sees that they are lacking in XXX, where XXX is your ethnic minority. They won't have a good idea of the "whole class" until March/April when they've already admitted most people.
Last edited by TripTrip on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ncc5

Postby ncc5 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:00 am

I also just applied and from what I can gather on LSN, anywhere from mid-February to mid-march. I have seen the occasional people randomly get decisions by the end of the month or in April, but these tend to be exceptions rather than the norm.

This is after looking at the Complete vs. Received dates for about ten schools or so. I didn't see any influence from URM, but the sample size of reported URM's was pretty small, so I am not sure

Hope that helps

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:30 pm

It makes total sense to me that some URMs might receive their decisions a bit later, once the AdComms have a better idea of what the class looks like collectively. Thanks for the help, guys. These are undoubtedly going to be the longest three months of my life! (Although waiting for my LSAT score was awful... it's just plain cruel that it should take more than a month for scores to be released. They're on Scantrons.)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”