Harvard App- "Writing"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
a-quad

Harvard App- "Writing"

Postby a-quad » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:00 pm

So I just started the HLS app (late, I know), and I came across the "Writing" section. It reads: 1. Briefly describe any written work you’ve produced (e.g., college-level or higher papers, articles, theses, etc., with multiple revisions in response to feedback) under the supervision of an academic advisor or professional editor. (maximum characters 300)

So I wrote an undergraduate thesis, so I intend to discuss this. I was also published in an undergraduate journal, where I wrote a paper that underwent rigorous review and editing by the associate editor.

1. Do I only discuss the contents of the paper (title, date, summary, etc), or should I also include tidbits (example: my thesis was double the minimum requirements)?
2. Does the undergraduate journal article merit mentioning?

Thanks

Jcastro1

Re: Harvard App- "Writing"

Postby Jcastro1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Also looking for an answer

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:32 pm

I put a whole bunch of non-sense so it wouldn't be empty. So yes, it might be worth mentioning that undergrad journal article.

If you are really proud of your thesis, I would think about putting it somewhere else in your app too (Resume?) because 300 characters is just not a lot of room.

bigbang

Postby bigbang » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:36 pm

Yes, mention your thesis and that journal article. I only really had place to mention the titles/years, but if you have room you could mention any tidbits that make it stand out more.

salad456

Postby salad456 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:46 am

sinfiery wrote:I put a whole bunch of non-sense so it wouldn't be empty. So yes, it might be worth mentioning that undergrad journal article.

Seriously? Better to leave it blank than ramble on if you have nothing relevant to say! That said, to OP, both the UG journal article and thesis are relevant. Include them but stick to basic facts (no "tidbits" - it doesn't matter how that your thesis was longer than it had to be... quality is far more important).

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:49 am

salad456 wrote:
sinfiery wrote:I put a whole bunch of non-sense so it wouldn't be empty. So yes, it might be worth mentioning that undergrad journal article.

Seriously? Better to leave it blank than ramble on if you have nothing relevant to say! That said, to OP, both the UG journal article and thesis are relevant. Include them but stick to basic facts (no "tidbits" - it doesn't matter how that your thesis was longer than it had to be... quality is far more important).

+1

I left it blank.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:29 am

salad456 wrote:

I thought there was a chance the HLS admissions committee would be interested in my analysis of the golf club market circa 2009. :D

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Do you guys think I should put my bachelor thesis in here (it's about mathematical modeling of assessing educational projects' efficiency) or better to leave it blank?

risa

Postby risa » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:12 pm

eyfl wrote:Do you guys think I should put my bachelor thesis in here (it's about mathematical modeling of assessing educational projects' efficiency) or better to leave it blank?

I would. Seems to fit the criteria and I'm sure they don't get all that many applicants who wrote a thesis on that sort of topic - might make you stand out.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:55 pm

eyfl wrote:Do you guys think I should put my bachelor thesis in here (it's about mathematical modeling of assessing educational projects' efficiency) or better to leave it blank?

Yes.

Definitely put things like this there, just don't expect it to give you a bump.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:27 pm

I would put undergraduate theses and any publications on there. I think that question is mainly there so the admissions committee can spot the superstars who have numerous publications, etc.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”