Triple Major dropping to Single Major

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rbkl

Triple Major dropping to Single Major

Postby rbkl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 pm

Helloo,

It's been a while since I have posted. I come with a present, a question. Thanks in advanced :)
Background information just for reference (I am not really asking for "What are my chances?")

I am a 3.99 GPA UG Senior. I think around 4.03-4.05 LSAC GPA.

Majors: Business Economics, Technology Management, and (Public Policy Analysis)
Minors: Computer Science, Economics

I was PT'ing around ~175.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am wondering if I should drop my third major Public Policy Analysis. I am a second semester senior and I am taking 18 credit hours in order to finish up all of my course work. If I decide to drop that major, I can go down to 12 credit hours and enjoy the semester / spend more time with the gf. I know I can put in the work, while taking care of my GPA, and go for the hat trick, but I am sincerely questioning if it'll give me any advantage (3 majors / 2 minors vs. 2 majors / 2 minors). However, it would have been my only "~legal relevant" major.

Specifically, I am really only interested in HLS, posssssibly T6 schools.

Should I drop the major?

Br3v

Re: Triple Major dropping to Single Major

Postby Br3v » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:49 pm

rbkl wrote:Helloo,

It's been a while since I have posted. I come with a present, a question. Thanks in advanced :)
Background information just for reference (I am not really asking for "What are my chances?")

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am wondering if I should drop my third major Public Policy Analysis. I am a second semester senior and I am taking 18 credit hours in order to finish up all of my course work. If I decide to drop that major, I can go down to 12 credit hours and enjoy the semester / spend more time with the gf. I know I can put in the work, while taking care of my GPA, and go for the hat trick, but I am sincerely questioning if it'll give me any advantage (3 majors / 2 minors vs. 2 majors / 2 minors). However, it would have been my only "~legal relevant" major.

Should I drop the major?

3 majors will not help you in law school aps. Your gpa will, protect it. Law school will be stressful so if you don't think you'll ever use your third major anyways, go ahead and drop it to ensure your gpa and spend time with people who you may not have time for next yr.
Last edited by Br3v on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:51 pm

There are no "legal relevant" majors. Law schools don't care what you major in. Also, there is absolutely no benefit to multiple majors (and honestly, some people look at the really multiple major/minor combo and think, what the hell did this person actually want to do?). Keeping the PPA major will in no way benefit you. It won't hurt you, but there's no reason to do it if you don't want to. (And honestly, I'm not sure why you would want to on top of 2 majors and 2 minors, but that's just me.)

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:18 am

Br3v wrote:3 majors will not help you in law school aps. Your gpa will, protect it. Law school will be stressful so if you don't think you'll ever use your third major anyways, go ahead and drop it to ensure your gpa and spend time with people who you may not have time for next yr.

TCR, even for HLS. Nail the LSAT (since it sounds like you haven't taken it), keep the GPA, and enjoy Cambridge.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:26 am

Br3v wrote:3 majors will not help you in law school aps. Your gpa will, protect it.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:47 am

Three majors could/would help you if they were in something like mechanical engineering, computer science, finance, etc where specific jobs will require a specific bachelor's. No job is going to require a bachelor's in public policy analysis, and in finishing a couple classes shy, you could simply say "I majored in X, Y and Z" even though your degree will only show X and Y. If they don't believe you they could just look at your transcripts and see the coursework.

As others have said though it's not going to help you at all. If you're concerned about available time for the LSAT, then drop the classes. Those two classes aren't likely to be an insane work load though, and if you're that close to completing three degrees, you may as well get the third one. Your GPA shows you can handle the load, and your LSAT/GPA indicate you have a very strong work ethic.

TL;DR - even though it won't help you for law school and could hurt you, I'd do it because you never know when that extra bullet point on your resume could come in handy.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:55 am

One more point on the LSAT would be worth more than one more major.

redline380

Postby redline380 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:10 am

i say go for it. law school aside, two more classes for an entire other major? if you're confident you can keep the gpa, why not? i turned my international relations minor into a major because i lost my job the semester before graduation and figured i meant as well take the extra few classes to have two majors. does it help me with law school? absolutely not. will it help me someday? who knows, but if it does, i'll be glad i did it. a bird in the hand, so to speak

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:28 am

Stop being Weak and go for the Quadruple. Whoever said you could slow up near the end of the race was a Spectator. Is spending more time with someone you love seriously worth the sunk cost of your B.A. in Important Opinions?

Anyway, you're going to get a degree in that after attending law school, so yes drop the major.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:42 am

rbkl wrote:Helloo,

Should I drop the major?

I'm not so impressed with the triple major, but I am relatively impressed by your Comp Sci and Econ double minor at the same time as the majors.

If I were you, I'd turn one of those into a major, rather than Public Policy. Comp Sci gives you both a back-up plan in programming and a patent law boost at OCI. Econ is just a good major to have (on the resume, etc.), and I would think it opens many more doors than PPA.
Last edited by suralin on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:49 am

TripTrip wrote:One more point on the LSAT would be worth more than one more major.

yes

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”