165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Retake and Apply Early Next Year
25
78%
Pay Sticker if Admitted
7
22%
 
Total votes: 32

Brysia
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:13 pm

165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby Brysia » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:34 am

I scored lower than expected after 2 months of studying for LSAT.
If I get into one of the top 14 school should I go this fall and pay sticker
or should I retake in June and apply early in the next cycle?
Would applying ED to Georgetown give me a higher chance of getting in?
Last edited by Brysia on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:36 am

Brysia wrote:retake in June and apply early in the next cycle

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:39 am

TripTrip wrote:
Brysia wrote:retake in June and apply early in the next cycle

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby North » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:00 pm

You would be crazy to waste that 3.84, ESPECIALLY if you feel like you underperformed on the LSAT.

Brysia
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:13 pm

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby Brysia » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:07 pm

North wrote:You would be crazy to waste that 3.84, ESPECIALLY if you feel like you underperformed on the LSAT.


My practice tests were in 169-175 range so I definitely underperformed.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Brysia wrote:
North wrote:You would be crazy to waste that 3.84, ESPECIALLY if you feel like you underperformed on the LSAT.


My practice tests were in 169-175 range so I definitely underperformed.


Well then you would be crazy not to retake.

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15092
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby suralin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Nova wrote:
Brysia wrote:
North wrote:You would be crazy to waste that 3.84, ESPECIALLY if you feel like you underperformed on the LSAT.


My practice tests were in 169-175 range so I definitely underperformed.


Well then you would be crazy not to retake.


Don't be crazy OP.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby JamesDean1955 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

And for the love of God please do not ED to Georgetown. You would most likely get no merit aid. There is a wealth of information on this website you can find using the search function, and by viewing the schools profile on http://www.lawschooltransparency.com, as to why this would be a TERRIBLE financial decision.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby North » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:33 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:And for the love of God please do not ED to Georgetown. You would most likely get no merit aid. There is a wealth of information on this website you can find using the search function, and by viewing the schools profile on http://www.lawschooltransparency.com, as to why this would be a TERRIBLE financial decision.

This too, OP.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:35 pm

Yeah, I figured the Georgetown thing went without saying. Why anyone would ED to Georgetown is beyond me.

User avatar
mmk33
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby mmk33 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:41 pm

If I were you I would apply and take the February 2013 exam. Applications are down a lot this year, and if you can even get 168+ you will get good money from the lower T14. The conventional wisdom that February LSAT is too late no longer holds.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:48 pm

mmk33 wrote:If I were you I would apply and take the February 2013 exam. Applications are down a lot this year, and if you can even get 168+ you will get good money from the lower T14. The conventional wisdom that February LSAT is too late no longer holds.

OP has thirty days to study. This is not credited.

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15092
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby suralin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:58 pm

TripTrip wrote:
mmk33 wrote:If I were you I would apply and take the February 2013 exam. Applications are down a lot this year, and if you can even get 168+ you will get good money from the lower T14. The conventional wisdom that February LSAT is too late no longer holds.

OP has thirty days to study. This is not credited.


Well, OP was also apparently PT-ing at 169-175, so definite test day underperformance.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:19 pm

Maybe retake in Feb for the sake of this cycle and again in June to see if sitting out would be a better option.

User avatar
mmk33
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby mmk33 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:31 pm

TripTrip wrote:
mmk33 wrote:If I were you I would apply and take the February 2013 exam. Applications are down a lot this year, and if you can even get 168+ you will get good money from the lower T14. The conventional wisdom that February LSAT is too late no longer holds.

OP has thirty days to study. This is not credited.


It sounds like it was a test day problem. If OP can get anywhere in his practice range he will have very good options (T14 with significant money), so that's what I would do.

Brysia
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:13 pm

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby Brysia » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:59 pm

TripTrip wrote:
mmk33 wrote:If I were you I would apply and take the February 2013 exam. Applications are down a lot this year, and if you can even get 168+ you will get good money from the lower T14. The conventional wisdom that February LSAT is too late no longer holds.

OP has thirty days to study. This is not credited.

Unfortunately, I won't be in the country to take the February LSAT.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:02 pm

Apply now. Retake in June. If you do significantly better, sit out and apply in August. If you dont like how your cycle shakes out, sit out and apply in August.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: 165/3.84 - Retake or Pay Sticker if Admitted to Top 14

Postby North » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:11 pm

Nova wrote:Apply now. Retake in June. If you do significantly better, sit out and apply in August. If you dont like how your cycle shakes out, sit out and apply in August.

But only apply to schools in the T14 or regional powerhouses that you'd really like to attend so you don't get tempted to just throw in the towel and waste that GPA.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests