How accurate is this? Flame?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Will_Imake_it

How accurate is this? Flame?

Postby Will_Imake_it » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 pm

stillwater

Re: How accurate is this? Flame?

Postby stillwater » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:05 pm

he was on fire.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Which part do you think is hard to believe - all of the rejections, or the one acceptance?

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:12 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:Which part do you think is hard to believe - all of the rejections, or the one acceptance?

It has to be the acceptance. 142 at W&L? And a 2.15? He must've had an inspiring LOR or personal statement lol

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:17 pm

Woah, read the comments on this guy...

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:17 pm

i dont get what the issue is with this guy. he applied to extreme reaches and got rejected everywhere, except for one mediocre school. how does that hurt anyone? are these angry commenters on LSN personally offended that he dared apply to more schools than he could qualify for?

people need to get over the URM thing. we get it, law school admissions make you frustrated and stressed...why target URMS? you know full well that law school admissions is 99% numbers. if you don't get into the school you want to go to, that's ALL you.

as for how he got into W&L, who the f*ck knows. there's donor's kids i wonder about all the time getting accepted too, no point wasting brain space obsessing over their qualifications or lack thereof.

(Not a URM.)

Merylian

Postby Merylian » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:20 pm

fallingup wrote:i dont get what the issue is with this guy. he applied to extreme reaches and got rejected everywhere, except for one mediocre school. how does that hurt anyone? are you personally offended that he dared apply to more schools than he could qualify for?

people need to get over the URM thing. we get it, law school admissions make you frustrated and stressed...why target URMS? you know full well that law school admissions is 99% numbers. if you don't get into the school you want to go to, that's ALL you.

(Not a URM.)

If you scroll down and read the comments, he apparently admitted to being a drug dealer and selling to kids. He said that as long as he didn't get caught, he wouldn't have to claim it on C&F when the time came. Pretty sure that's why everyone hates him.

Also, there are a lot of people in the comments who are stating that it's a bunch of crap, and that he didn't really get in there. Not sure if they're reliable or not, but eh. Could be the case.

Will_Imake_it

Postby Will_Imake_it » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:46 pm

:lol:
stillwater wrote:he was on fire.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:50 pm

That post has more comments than I've seen in all my days looking at LSN before now.

I call flame.

blugirl400

Postby blugirl400 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:21 am

What the heck is a flame?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:25 am

blugirl400 wrote:What the heck is a flame?

like a joke - someone creates a fake online identity and plays the role, just to get people to react (examples include characters with exceptional stats and a holier than thou attitute, people with horrible stats and "special snowflake" syndrome, someone pretending to be black to elicit commenting about URM boost, etc.)

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:52 am

fallingup wrote:people need to get over the URM thing. we get it, law school admissions make you frustrated and stressed...why target URMS? you know full well that law school admissions is 99% numbers. if you don't get into the school you want to go to, that's ALL you.

I try not to make a big deal out of the URM thing because at the end of the day I have do what I have to do and whining doesn't help (it's also easy to be called a racist for commenting on it, so that's no fun either), but I empathize with those that are frustrated that they are judged based on skin color. I don't see why people do the reverse which is to get angry and indignant toward those who speak out against unfair practices. People might be more understanding if the URM thing was about helping people who had a rough lot, but schools have openly admitted it's strictly about appearances and that sucks.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:56 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
fallingup wrote:people need to get over the URM thing. we get it, law school admissions make you frustrated and stressed...why target URMS? you know full well that law school admissions is 99% numbers. if you don't get into the school you want to go to, that's ALL you.

I try not to make a big deal out of the URM thing because at the end of the day I have do what I have to do and whining doesn't help (it's also easy to be called a racist for commenting on it, so that's no fun either), but I empathize with those that are frustrated that they are judged based on skin color. I don't see why people do the reverse which is to get angry and indignant toward those who speak out against unfair practices. People might be more understanding if the URM thing was about helping people who had a rough lot, but schools have openly admitted it's strictly about appearances and that sucks.

Thread getting locked in 3...2...

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:03 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:

word of advice: do not discuss the pros/cons of URM in the on-topic forums. While there are valid points all around, these tend to devolve into something ugly. The URM boost is a fact of life - whether we like it or not

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:58 am

dingbat wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:

word of advice: do not discuss the pros/cons of URM in the on-topic forums. While there are valid points all around, these tend to devolve into something ugly. The URM boost is a fact of life - whether we like it or not

Yep its all fine and dandy on this site until somebody mentions the 800 lb gorilla in the room that is URM. Then the entire thread gets closed faster than a Jewish deli during Kristallnacht.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:43 pm

zanzbar wrote:
dingbat wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:

Yep its all fine and dandy on this site until somebody mentions the 800 lb gorilla in the room that is URM. Then the entire thread gets closed faster than a Jewish deli during Kristallnacht.

Wow. Bold.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:22 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:I try not to make a big deal out of the URM thing because at the end of the day I have do what I have to do and whining doesn't help (it's also easy to be called a racist for commenting on it, so that's no fun either), but I empathize with those that are frustrated that they are judged based on skin color. I don't see why people do the reverse which is to get angry and indignant toward those who speak out against unfair practices. People might be more understanding if the URM thing was about helping people who had a rough lot, but schools have openly admitted it's strictly about appearances and that sucks.

Tempban for violating the no-AA-in-the-on-topics rule.

zanzbar wrote:Yep its all fine and dandy on this site until somebody mentions the 800 lb gorilla in the room that is URM. Then the entire thread gets closed faster than a Jewish deli during Kristallnacht.

Tempban for just being a shitty troll.

If you want to discuss, discuss here.

Edit: On second thought, thread lock. Nothing useful left to say here anyway.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”