--

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NDJ

--

Postby NDJ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 pm

--
Last edited by NDJ on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rinkrat19

Re: 3.55 / 174 - GPA addendum for T15?

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:18 pm

They don't really care whether your 3.55 is because you consistently got B+/A- grades for all of undergrad or you got all As with 3 Fs, unless there is a legitimate excuse for the 3 outlier Fs. As I'm sure you've guessed, immaturity is not a legitimate excuse.

Writing that addendum won't help, but if it makes you feel better about leaving no stone unturned in your app package, go for it.

NDJ

Postby NDJ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:56 pm

--
Last edited by NDJ on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm

NDJ wrote:ok cool, thats roughly what i was hoping/expecting to hear. i will probably just write a quick note addressing the fact that success in college at my school was about musical development and not about grades, which thus regrettably didnt receive my full attention, since i never thought i would ever do anything for which they would matter - if you dont think it will hurt i guess there's nothing to lose. thanks!

Don't write that. Don't draw attention to the fact that you were an idiot.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:04 pm

NDJ wrote:ok cool, thats roughly what i was hoping/expecting to hear. i will probably just write a quick note addressing the fact that success in college at my school was about musical development and not about grades, which thus regrettably didnt receive my full attention, since i never thought i would ever do anything for which they would matter - if you dont think it will hurt i guess there's nothing to lose. thanks!

Yeah...no.
I'm sure there were plenty of music majors who got good grades.

NDJ

Postby NDJ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:18 pm

--
Last edited by NDJ on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:28 pm

NDJ wrote:my failure was in my irresponsibility and inability to balance things properly, which is what i would write..

I think the point the poster was trying to make is that, barring something outside of your control influencing your grades (sickness, family tragedy, etc), you may not want to call attention to this irresponsibility.

That being said, you have a solid GPA and excellent LSAT, best of luck.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:32 pm

NDJ wrote:actually - no. my grades are very high for my school - like i said, it is more about development and networking, since it is one of the top music schools in the world - again not an excuse, but more just to provide some perspective.

:| One of my best friends went to Eastman, and she for damn sure cared about her grades.

NDJ

Postby NDJ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:
NDJ wrote:my failure was in my irresponsibility and inability to balance things properly, which is what i would write..

I think the point the poster was trying to make is that, barring something outside of your control influencing your grades (sickness, family tragedy, etc), you may not want to call attention to this irresponsibility.

That being said, you have a solid GPA and excellent LSAT, best of luck.

thanks!

rinkrat19 wrote:
NDJ wrote:actually - no. my grades are very high for my school - like i said, it is more about development and networking, since it is one of the top music schools in the world - again not an excuse, but more just to provide some perspective.

:| One of my best friends went to Eastman, and she for damn sure cared about her grades.

haha. not really the same kind of thing - in pop/jazz/contemporary music schools, grades will never matter for any kind of grad program or employment whatsoever.

Nova wrote:
NDJ wrote: my failure was in my irresponsibility and inability to balance things properly, which is what i would write..

A lot of applicants fuck around during undergrad. Its not addendum worthy.

i hear that - however the difference might be between being irresponsible on something that clearly has paramount importance, vs. something that has foreseeably no practical importance whatsoever. again, not to be cited as an excuse, but just to provide some honest perspective on a reason accounting for some sub-par grades, rather than to leave an F and two D's to their imagination.
Last edited by NDJ on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 pm

A lot of applicants fucked around during undergrad. Its really not addendum worthy.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Many applicants didnt think their grades would matter in the future.

It sounds like youre gonna write it. Once you have it on paper, I would suggest posting it [anonymously if you wish] in the Personal Statement section of the forum. The posters there will give you an honest evaluation.

NDJ

Postby NDJ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:33 pm

--
Last edited by NDJ on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:17 am

It won't help you. Best case, they ignore it.

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:55 am

I think if you submitted that addendum it would actually hurt you, because it comes across as being kind of stuck up. Bottomline is you blew off a few classes. There's really no way to paint it in a special light to make it better because everyone with a couple bad grades would write it. I mean you could always lie and create some catastrophe to explain the F and D's but the small chance that there is even a tiny positive bump that could result from this is certainly not worth the long-term ramifications of if you got caught.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:01 am

holy crap. Don't even think about submitting that.
Translation:

I used to not give a shit and wouldn't bother to do the work. I later learned to just suck it up. I can do better.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:07 am

Last edited by wert3813 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:19 am

NDJ wrote:haha..ok. i have no problem pasting this draft i wrote earlier on here, if you guys feel like having a look...
i highly doubt it could hurt.. its not like they're gonna notice my GPA any more after i write this. it is an honest and logical explanation for why my sub-par grades are not indicative of how well i would do in law school.

I am writing this addendum with regards to my GPA, and several outlying class grades. While I believe there is no excuse for these grades and I take full responsibility for all of my failures along with my successes, I thought I should honestly address these poor performances in writing, to provide some perspective on them.

Having never dreamed of attending any educational institution not pertaining to music, high grades had no pragmatic value for me; my college years were primarily about developing musically and personally as much as I could, and building direct career prospects, which I believe I accomplished with great success. My only regret is that in instances where those goals interfered with succeeding academically, instead of trying to balance the two, I would often simply withdraw my efforts from the latter.

The notion of persisting and excelling at tasks and challenges simply by virtue of the fact that I am presented with them took until much later in my college career to sink in for me. I falsely believed I could discern which successes would matter and which would not; I recognize now that whatever situation I find myself in, it behooves me to give my full effort consistently, for I can never know what will be significant in the long run.

The fact that the majority of my grades were A’s, as well as the fact that my semesters at ______ were straight A’s, should indicate that that is representative of my academic potential. While I could not blame an admissions office for completely disregarding this addendum, I wanted to take this opportunity to provide the honest truth, and to say that, having made these mistakes in the past is currently what drives me to give my tireless effort to every challenge facing me, no matter, in my limited perspective, how inconsequential it may seem.

rad lulz wrote:Don't draw attention to the fact that you were an idiot.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:09 pm

NDJ wrote:haha..ok. i have no problem pasting this draft i wrote earlier on here, if you guys feel like having a look...
i highly doubt it could hurt.. its not like they're gonna notice my GPA any more after i write this. it is an honest and logical explanation for why my sub-par grades are not indicative of how well i would do in law school.

I am writing this addendum with regards to my GPA, and several outlying class grades. While I believe there is no excuse for these grades and I take full responsibility for all of my failures along with my successes, I thought I should honestly address these poor performances in writing, to provide some perspective on them.

Having never dreamed of attending any educational institution not pertaining to music, high grades had no pragmatic value for me; my college years were primarily about developing musically and personally as much as I could, and building direct career prospects, which I believe I accomplished with great success. My only regret is that in instances where those goals interfered with succeeding academically, instead of trying to balance the two, I would often simply withdraw my efforts from the latter.

The notion of persisting and excelling at tasks and challenges simply by virtue of the fact that I am presented with them took until much later in my college career to sink in for me. I falsely believed I could discern which successes would matter and which would not; I recognize now that whatever situation I find myself in, it behooves me to give my full effort consistently, for I can never know what will be significant in the long run.

The fact that the majority of my grades were A’s, as well as the fact that my semesters at ______ were straight A’s, should indicate that that is representative of my academic potential. While I could not blame an admissions office for completely disregarding this addendum, I wanted to take this opportunity to provide the honest truth, and to say that, having made these mistakes in the past is currently what drives me to give my tireless effort to every challenge facing me, no matter, in my limited perspective, how inconsequential it may seem.

Way too many (unnecessarily complex) words to explain a pretty simple issue. Either cut out the fat--90% of it--or don't submit an addendum.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 pm

dingbat wrote:holy crap. Don't even think about submitting that.

NDJ

Postby NDJ » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:22 pm

LOL wow..a couple people on here are enjoying putting me down too much to be much older than 15/actually be writing out of an interest to help me out. ill restate that i am COMPLETELY new to this stuff - being able to spend 24/7 reading top law schools forums is not a luxury afforded to those with any semblance of a life..

to everyone else - thanks for the input - i guess ill be leaving this addendum out. :) cheers!

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:26 pm

TLS = tough love

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:27 pm

NDJ wrote:LOL wow..a couple people on here are enjoying putting me down too much to be much older than 15/actually be writing out of an interest to help me out. ill restate that i am COMPLETELY new to this stuff - being able to spend 24/7 reading top law schools forums is not a luxury afforded to those with any semblance of a life.

Write an addendum for your delicate fee fees

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Nova wrote:TLS = tough love

except Nova. Nova is consistently an awesome poster :) <3 no homo?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:28 pm

This.

If people here were actually trying to insult you for sport, it would be much, much worse. This is all valid input; it's just not sugar-coated for anyone's special snowflake sensibilities.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:28 pm

toothbrush wrote:

except Nova. Nova is consistently an awesome poster :) <3 no homo?

<3

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”