Should I Visit?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Intrigue

Should I Visit?

Postby Intrigue » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:00 am

Was put on Duke's "Priority" waitlist. They sent me an email recently suggesting that I could send in a letter of interest/transcripts/etc. They also mentioned that I could visit the campus and meet with admissions staff.

The way I read it, not traveling to visit would virtually guarantee that I stay on the waitlist. Am I correct in thinking that way?

eyfl

Re: Should I Visit?

Postby eyfl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:05 am

I guess depends on the actual wording but I'm reading this as them being polite and hospitable rather than requiring a visit in order for you to get off the WL. Although I'm not intimately familiar with Duke's admission procedures.

Intrigue

Postby Intrigue » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 am

Here is the relevant section:

Although we are unable to offer interviews as part of our general admission process, we have found that in-person meetings can be very helpful in helping us reach a final decision on an application. To that end, if you are able to visit campus in the coming weeks, we would like to invite you to participate in an interview with Bill Hoye, Associate Dean of Admissions and Student Affairs, to discuss your application and to answer your questions about Duke Law. This is entirely optional, but we wanted to extend the offer in case you are able to take advantage of it.

If you would like to arrange an interview, please contact the admissions office (919-613-7020 or admissions@law.duke.edu) once you have a date in mind. While you are here, you will also be able to take a student-led tour of the law school and sit in on a class. There may also be other speakers or programs that would be of interest (http://law.duke.edu/events/).

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:38 am

This does seem to go beyond being polite, looks like they would actually like to meet you. But I still don't think this is the absolute requirement to get off the WL. If you're unable to go I'd recommend to send a friendly email / call proposing a phone / web interview instead?

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:39 am

IMO, If you can go, you should go.

Intrigue

Postby Intrigue » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:49 am

eyfl wrote:This does seem to go beyond being polite, looks like they would actually like to meet you. But I still don't think this is the absolute requirement to get off the WL. If you're unable to go I'd recommend to send a friendly email / call proposing a phone / web interview instead?

That's how I read it as well. I'm within a six hour drive, so I figure it might be worth dropping in. I would like to go to Duke if accepted too.

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:40 pm

I live a lot farther away and got the same offer. I don't think they're nudging you because you're so close. That said, doooo it.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:42 pm

one way to look at it is, if you don't visit, you stay on the waitlist. If you visit and they like you, you get to the front of the waitlist (then again, if they dislike you....)

az21833

Postby az21833 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:35 pm

if you want to go to duke, go. if you dont, dont. i think its that simple given that language. never want to regret

Intrigue

Postby Intrigue » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:31 am

Appreciate the input.

Intrigue

Postby Intrigue » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:21 pm

This may be somewhat obvious to some of you, but what sort of attire should I wear for this kind of an interview?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Intrigue wrote:This may be somewhat obvious to some of you, but what sort of attire should I wear for this kind of an interview?

Not a suit and not shorts & flipflops.
Basically, be presentable, but no need to go over the top

Intrigue

Postby Intrigue » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:40 pm

dingbat wrote:
Intrigue wrote:This may be somewhat obvious to some of you, but what sort of attire should I wear for this kind of an interview?

Thanks. Shirt & tie too formal you think?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Intrigue wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Thanks. Shirt & tie too formal you think?

I'd skip the tie, but business casual is absolutely a good idea

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:44 pm

Nova wrote:IMO, If you can go, you should go.

Yes, but not going doesnt guarantee a ding. Think of it as if there are 3 wait listers per spot, and 1 of the 3 visit, isn't it easier to select the person who went all else being equal?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Br3v wrote:

Yes, but not going doesnt guarantee a ding. Think of it as if there are 3 wait listers per spot, and 1 of the 3 visit, isn't it easier to select the person who went all else being equal?

I think that's the general consensus

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:49 pm

dingbat wrote:
Br3v wrote:

I think that's the general consensus

Yeah I worded it oddly, but I was agreeing with Nova and intended the question at the end to be a rheyorical question directed at OP.

Intrigue

Postby Intrigue » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks once again for the advice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”