I need some advice on law school applications Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschool111

New

I need some advice on law school applications

Post by lawschool111 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:06 am

I took the December 2012 LSAT and performed poorly, unfortunately one entire section ruined my score. I will be retaking the February LSAT and am confident that I will perform much better.

My score is well below the 25% percentile average for the top 40 law schools. But I have received fee waivers from a few top 40 law schools saying that my LSAT, GPA and other factors show that I am a strong applicant. I did attend a very prestigious undergraduate and have a 3.6 GPA. Aside from my LSAT score and GPA I have a very strong Softs.

Are these law schools giving me false hope? Should I take the chance and apply despite my low LSAT score or wait until February 2013 after I take the LSAT to apply?

atcushman

Bronze

Re: I need some advice on law school applications

Post by atcushman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:13 am

its hard to say without knowing what you actually got on your lsat...the prestige of your ug dosnt matter but if you have good softs it may help. Applications are down so they are probably sending these fee waivers out just to drum up applications but it wont hurt you to apply especially if its free so why not...Odds are however with your gpa you should study and reapply next year.

any school you get into now you could get into with money after you improve your score and with a 3.6 and anything in the high 160s you will be looking t14 and not t40

retake.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:19 pm

lawschool111 wrote:Are these law schools giving me false hope? Should I take the chance and apply despite my low LSAT score or wait until February 2013 after I take the LSAT to apply?
In short, yes. They don't really know those other, soft factors, and they send those out to many people. They all have different criteria for who gets a fee waivers - sometimes, it's everyone that hits a certain threshold, no matter how far it is from their numbers; other times, it's anyone who goes to certain undergrads. But there's no absolute correlation between fee waivers and acceptances.

If you don't have the numbers for the schools to which you're planning to apply, wait until your retake and don't read too much into fee waivers.

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Also, if you're getting a fee waiver this year you can probably get another one next year (even if you have to ask for it!)

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:35 pm

kayleighcheyenne wrote:Also, if you're getting a fee waiver this year you can probably get another one next year (even if you have to ask for it!)
If you don't use it this year. Most schools will not let you use a waiver two years in a row, but they'll activate it again if you don't apply the first year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”