Public Interest Law

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
simplycatalina

Public Interest Law

Postby simplycatalina » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:49 pm

I want to go into Public Interest law and I truly have a lot of personal experience/volunteer experience that correlates with that. I'm including this in my PS and Why X essays. I'm just concerned because I know that so many people say that and could actually care less. If it's strongly supported by background, are adcomms okay with it?

Elston Gunn

Re: Public Interest Law

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:51 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:I want to go into Public Interest law and I truly have a lot of personal experience/volunteer experience that correlates with that. I'm including this in my PS and Why X essays. I'm just concerned because I know that so many people say that and could actually care less. If it's strongly supported by background, are adcomms okay with it?

If you have real stuff on you're resume, I think they'll believe you. I bet they can generally tell the bs'ers.

That said, your resume, goals and even personal statement are going to be fairly minor parts of your application. Where you get in and what scholarships you're offered will depend almost entirely on your LSAT score and GPA.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:I want to go into Public Interest law and I truly have a lot of personal experience/volunteer experience that correlates with that. I'm including this in my PS and Why X essays. I'm just concerned because I know that so many people say that and could actually care less. If it's strongly supported by background, are adcomms okay with it?

If you have real stuff on you're resume, I think they'll believe you. I bet they can generally tell the bs'ers.

That said, your resume, goals and even personal statement are going to be fairly minor parts of your application. Where you get in and what scholarships you're offered will depend almost entirely on your LSAT score and GPA.

Yeah, I know that that's the case. I just wanted to make sure that they wouldn't reject me because they thought I was bs'ing.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:19 am

Temper your idealism with realism. Don't sound like the wide-eyed fourth grader who wants to hug all the dolphins AND cure childhood cancer AND eliminate all poverty and racism AND establish world peace.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Temper your idealism with realism. Don't sound like the wide-eyed fourth grader ticwho wants to hug all the dolphins AND cure childhood cancer AND eliminate all poverty and racism AND establish world peace.

I know this. My PS is based on my experiences. I'd assure you that there's no bullshit included here.
Last edited by simplycatalina on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

epiphinous7

Postby epiphinous7 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:56 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Temper your idealism with realism. Don't sound like the wide-eyed fourth grader who wants to hug all the dolphins AND cure childhood cancer AND eliminate all poverty and racism AND establish world peace.

Um I did all that and adcomms loved it....

OP: As long as your resume reflects what you spew and youre concrete about how you could achieve said goals then, of course, it would only cement it. However I would look into all PI scholarship/essay opportunities since the salary, as I'm sure you know, is not so high. There are a few programs where promising about 5 years in PI and their acceptance will give you a free ride through law school.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:42 pm

epiphinous7 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Temper your idealism with realism. Don't sound like the wide-eyed fourth grader who wants to hug all the dolphins AND cure childhood cancer AND eliminate all poverty and racism AND establish world peace.

OP: As long as your resume reflects what you spew and youre concrete about how you could achieve said goals then, of course, it would only cement it. However I would look into all PI scholarship/essay opportunities since the salary, as I'm sure you know, is not so high. There are a few programs where promising about 5 years in PI and their acceptance will give you a free ride through law school.

Ok great thank you!! And yes, I intend to look into the scholarships because I know it's not the highest paying field.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:08 pm

double
Last edited by Rahviveh on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:08 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
epiphinous7 wrote:

Ok great thank you!! And yes, I intend to look into the scholarships because I know it's not the highest paying field.

You should be looking at LRAP programs. Even with a full ride, at some schools you're still looking at 100K+ of debt which is not feasible with a PI salary.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:14 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
epiphinous7 wrote:

Also, aside from govt. work, there are basically no PI jobs.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:28 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:You should be looking at LRAP programs. Even with a full ride, at some schools you're still looking at 100K+ of debt which is not feasible with a PI salary.

If you're in PI, you'll be paying back your loans using IBR. For most PI salaries, there'd be little or no difference in your repayments if you borrow $100k or $250k.

LRAP still helps though and is important. At some schools, they'll be covering those loan repayments either partially or in their entirety. If you're earning $40,000 for the next decade, that could be a big deal.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:02 pm

albanach wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:You should be looking at LRAP programs. Even with a full ride, at some schools you're still looking at 100K+ of debt which is not feasible with a PI salary.

If you're in PI, you'll be paying back your loans using IBR. For most PI salaries, there'd be little or no difference in your repayments if you borrow $100k or $250k.

LRAP still helps though and is important. At some schools, they'll be covering those loan repayments either partially or in their entirety. If you're earning $40,000 for the next decade, that could be a big deal.

Right, my understanding was that a good LRAP means your loans are forgiven in 10 years rather than 20?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:04 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
albanach wrote:

Right, my understanding was that a good LRAP means your loans are forgiven in 10 years rather than 20?

Too bad OP is gonna be in the OCI bread line like everyone else.
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:14 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
albanach wrote:

No, for public interest jobs, your loans are forgiven after 10 years regardless of whether you're on your school's LRAP or just federal IBR (actually PSLF). The difference is that a good LRAP program will be taking care of (to varying degrees, based on income) the interest you're not paying and part of your monthly payment. So if you don't make it the whole 10 years, the amount left on your loans will be much lower.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”